Community Forum

2 private networks

New Poster

2 private networks

Hi,

I'm trying to set up 2 private wired networks in my home.  Previously I was using a technique called 3 dumb routers where I would go from my Comcast modem to a Cisco RVS4000.  From there I would split it to my N600 router and my tenants N300 router.  I set up different Ip addresses on each router. The technique allowed both the N600 and the n300 routers to access the internet but I couldn't access the n600 from outside of my house, presumably because it was behind the RVS4000. 

I called Comcast and they are sending out an XB3 modem that I guess has a a router built in as they tell me it will provide 2 private networks.  Is this really going to work?  I'm hearing about setting the new modem in bridged mode but don't understand it.   I'd appreciate some help and direction.

Thanks

New Poster

Re: 2 private networks

Little help?

Expert

It only has one private network and a network for guests being xfinitywifi.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

@Don176 wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to set up 2 private wired networks in my home.  Previously I was using a technique called 3 dumb routers where I would go from my Comcast modem to a Cisco RVS4000.  From there I would split it to my N600 router and my tenants N300 router.  I set up different Ip addresses on each router. The technique allowed both the N600 and the n300 routers to access the internet but I couldn't access the n600 from outside of my house, presumably because it was behind the RVS4000. 

I called Comcast and they are sending out an XB3 modem that I guess has a a router built in as they tell me it will provide 2 private networks.  Is this really going to work?  I'm hearing about setting the new modem in bridged mode but don't understand it.   I'd appreciate some help and direction.

Thanks

Bridge mode means that the DHCP and NAT functions of the XB3 gateway are turned off, essentially turning it into a simple cable modem without the built in router function. You can then use your own router with it, or just keep your existing setup and replace your old modem with the XB3 in Bridge Mode. A guide is located here

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!