Community Forum

2 owned modems on one account, One activated only for voice and the other for internet only?

Frequent Visitor

2 owned modems on one account, One activated only for voice and the other for internet only?

I have an old arris tm822g I have used for voice and internet.  Both internet and voice work just fine.  
I wanted to activate a second modem for internet onlyone that was Docsis 3.1 the Arris SB8200 which can handle gig speeds.  Activating it through xfinity.com/activate doesn't work either.  I talked to a comcast rep and they stated that I was only allowed to use one modem per account?  He said that he could activate the other modem but it would turn off the one I had already activated.  I just wanted voice activated only for the arris tm822g and internet to the Arris SB8200.

Am I allowed 2 owned modems one for Voice only and the other internet only?

I have seen multiple forums on these forums and was told by another employee I was able to do this.  Can someone from Comcast please tell me if I am allowed to use my 2 owned modems one for voice and the other for internet only?

Thanks

Expert

Re: 2 owned modems on one account, One activated only for voice and the other for internet only?

It’s possible. You just have to very specific with the MAC Addresses for which one is for internet only and voice only.

I’ll also escalate this for a Comcast Employee to assist you in getting that set up properly.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: 2 owned modems on one account, One activated only for voice and the other for internet only?

@jweaver0312 wrote:
It’s possible. You just have to very specific with the MAC Addresses for which one is for internet only and voice only.

I’ll also escalate this for a Comcast Employee to assist you in getting that set up properly.

Thanks, 

I will wait for comcast employee, hopefully we can get this running asap.  

Do I need to do anything in the meantime?

Expert

Basically, what I would do is have both CM-MAC addresses ready for both modems and know which one you want for internet only and phone only. I would have them both plugged in and ready just to keep the process simple so that once activation is sent it should be ready.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

@jweaver0312 wrote:
Basically, what I would do is have both CM-MAC addresses ready for both modems and know which one you want for internet only and phone only. I would have them both plugged in and ready just to keep the process simple so that once activation is sent it should be ready.

Ok thanks,  

I have them both ready and plugged in.  Just waiting now. 

Official Employee

Greetings, Augmentum! I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us here on the forums. I hope you are having an amazing day. I apologize to hear you were not able to get this 2nd modem set up when you originally reached out to us. I would like to look into this for. Just know in some areas the accounts are limited to having only one modem. Can you please send me a PM with your first/last name and the CMAC address that you are trying to use for the internet only?

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMichael" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

@ComcastMichael wrote:

Greetings, Augmentum! I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us here on the forums. I hope you are having an amazing day. I apologize to hear you were not able to get this 2nd modem set up when you originally reached out to us. I would like to look into this for. Just know in some areas the accounts are limited to having only one modem. Can you please send me a PM with your first/last name and the CMAC address that you are trying to use for the internet only?

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMichael" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

Hello, I have sent a private message.  @ComcastMichael 

Official Employee

I'm glad I was able to assist you and get that 2nd modem set up on your account, Augmentum. If you ever need further assistance don't hesitate to reach out to us.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.