Community Forum

2 Internet Lines in one Apartment

Frequent Visitor

2 Internet Lines in one Apartment

So I just signed up for a 2nd internet line in my apartment and I have a few questions.

 

 

Will the two modems share bandwidth?Both are Performance.

 

The 2nd modem, can I connect it to the splitter inside my apartment or do I need to pull another line from outside the apartment?

Expert

Re: 2 Internet Lines in one Apartment

You won't be able to install 2 modems on a single account. You'll want a single modem and you'll need a router to share the connection.


I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Frequent Visitor

Re: 2 Internet Lines in one Apartment

I will have two separate accounts. I do not want to share the connections.

Contributor

Re: 2 Internet Lines in one Apartment

You are only allowed one account per residence/address...unless you work for a business who allows you to work from home and they pay for the svc.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: 2 Internet Lines in one Apartment

You can have two modems. You will be charged for 2 internet connections.

 

I had 2 modems at one time in 2010. They were billed as separate internet charges. There was no discount for having a second modem.

 

I am not sure about the bandwidth-someone else may be able to answer that question.

 

And yes you can connect it to a splitter inside. That's how I hooked up both my modems.

 

Main cable line with splitter. Lines from the splitter going to 2 different rooms. Another splitter in each room-from that a line a tv and a line to the modem.

 

Having said that, mine were billed on the same account.

 

If there is already an account set up at your house, you may not be able to set up a second account at the same address.

Contributor

Re: 2 Internet Lines in one Apartment

I apologize. Let me restate my comment. It is not permitted in my system unless you are a teleworker. It has been that way here for as long as I can remember. Other areas may differ though. I just figured since Comcast preaches uniformity it would be the same everywhere.

Expert

Re: 2 Internet Lines in one Apartment


merctech wrote:

I apologize. Let me restate my comment. It is not permitted in my system unless you are a teleworker. It has been that way here for as long as I can remember.


+1


I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Frequent Visitor

Re: 2 Internet Lines in one Apartment

Thank you for clearing the confusion for the other users.

 

My main question is should I connect the 2nd modem to the splitter inside the apt, or do I need to call a technician so he can pull another line in the apartment.

 

I dont want them to share bandwitdth obviously, nor IP's, nor anything for that matter.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: 2 Internet Lines in one Apartment


Lebada wrote:

 

I do not want to share the connections.


Even if your particular market area will do it you are still basically sharing an alotted amount of capacity/bandwidth with all of the comcast users in your neighborhood so I don't see how much good this arrangement will actually do for you except to cost you twice as much money ! Nerdberg's advice on using a home networking router to share whatever the amount of bandwidth your speed tier provides is the way to go ! You are obviously sharing the same "ISP" if both modems are connected to the same cable..

Frequent Visitor

Re: 2 Internet Lines in one Apartment


EG wrote:

Lebada wrote:

 

I do not want to share the connections.


Even if your particular market area will do it you are still basically sharing an alotted amount of capacity/bandwidth with all of the comcast users in your neighborhood so I don't see how much good this arrangement will actually do for you except to cost you twice as much money ! Nerdberg's advice on using a home networking router to share whatever the amount of bandwidth your speed tier provides is the way to go ! You are obviously sharing the same "ISP" if both modems are connected to the same cable..


 

Do you happen to know whether I can hook the new modem to the splitter inside the apartment or they need to pull another line inside?

 

I can't go into details why I need two lines, but they are necessary. Initally I wanted to get AT&T DSL, but they charge 100$ for the wireless gateway.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: 2 Internet Lines in one Apartment

It all depends on whether or not your signals are adequate enough to begin with to allow for the extra attenuation that will be caused by the additional line split. We may get an idea if you have adequate elbow room by you posting your current signal stat figures.  Get them here; http://192.168.100.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

Frequent Visitor

Re: 2 Internet Lines in one Apartment


EG wrote:

It all depends on whether or not your signals are adequate enough to begin with to allow for the extra attenuation that will be caused by the additional line split. We may get an idea if you have adequate elbow room by you posting your current signal stat figures.  Get them here; http://192.168.100.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.


 

 

Downstream 1 4 543.00 MHz -1.77 dBmV 35.97 dB 256QAM 21181158859 11346 42367 Downstream 2 2 531.00 MHz -2.24 dBmV 35.42 dB 256QAM 20116173989 9472 16925 Downstream 3 5 549.00 MHz -2.26 dBmV 34.63 dB 256QAM 19984142001 22832 34251 Downstream 4 6 555.00 MHz -2.96 dBmV 35.60 dB 256QAM 20326161072 8574 5200

 

 

  UCID Freq Power Channel Type Symbol Rate Modulation Upstream 1 2 29.50 MHz 47.00 dBmV DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA) 5120 kSym/s 32QAM

 

 Status System Uptime: 3 d: 12 h: 38 m Computers Detected: staticCPE(0), dynamicCPE(1) CM Status: OPERATIONAL Time and Date: Mon 2011-09-19 22:21:54

 

 Interface Parameters Interface Name Provisioned State Speed (Mbps) MAC address LAN Enabled Up 100(Full) 00:1D:CD:55:34:7F CABLE Enabled Up ----- 00:1D:CD:55:34:80

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: 2 Internet Lines in one Apartment

Although your upstream power is approaching the upper end of being in spec you may be able to get away with a two way 3.5 dB loss split. Your mileage may vary. Are you saying that an unused port on a splitter already exists ?

Frequent Visitor

Re: 2 Internet Lines in one Apartment


EG wrote:

Although your upstream power is approaching the upper end of being in spec you may be able to get away with a two way 3.5 dB loss split. Your mileage may vary. Are you saying that an unused port on a splitter already exists ?



Thanks for the quick replies EG.

 

So I'm to pick up the modem tomorrow from the Comcast center. Should I ask them if it's necessary? Should I insist they pull another line inside ( i think the person at the counter there will not have much knowledge about this ).

 

 

1 line will be used for refreshing a whole bunch of different websites 24/7, the other line will be used for regular stuff.

 

I don't do much uploading, if any at all ( ex. upload movies or large files or anything like that )

 

Yes there is an unused port on the splitter. I only have Internet ( no tv, or phone ).

Contributor

Re: 2 Internet Lines in one Apartment

you can insist they pull a new line and they will insist you pay for a new outlet.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: 2 Internet Lines in one Apartment


Lebada wrote:

Yes there is an unused port on the splitter. I only have Internet ( no tv, or phone ).


Give it a shot. You should be o/k !

Expert

Re: 2 Internet Lines in one Apartment

Pls let us know how it turns out.


I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Frequent Visitor

Re: 2 Internet Lines in one Apartment


EG wrote:

Lebada wrote:

Yes there is an unused port on the splitter. I only have Internet ( no tv, or phone ).


Give it a shot. You should be o/k !


 

Thanks for the help.

 

I picked it up today, woman at the counter said no outside line is needed. Might install it tomorrow and hook it up to a laptop to check speeds.

Regular Contributor

Re: 2 Internet Lines in one Apartment

Just to clarify, the two modems will not share bandwidth. Bandwidth is modem specific. 

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: 2 Internet Lines in one Apartment


kraze1994 wrote:

Just to clarify, the two modems will not share bandwidth. Bandwidth is modem specific. 


The "bottom line" is that all available bandwidth is shared with every neighbor on the ones segment.

Frequent Visitor

Re: 2 Internet Lines in one Apartment

Installed and tested just fine on a laptop temporarly.

 

Is it normal to get 25mpbs / 4mbps on Speedtest.net if I'm signed up for Performance? Is speedtest wrong or is that the turboboost that bumps up the numbers?

 

 

Expert

Re: 2 Internet Lines in one Apartment

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. And yes, speed tests will show the powerboost speeds.


I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Frequent Visitor

Re: 2 Internet Lines in one Apartment

So it's normal to get 25mpbs / 4mbps for Performance which is 12mbps / 2mpbs ( I believe ) ?

 

 

 

Yes everything was fine, one pc was downloading heavy p2p stuff and reloading 30 tabs at the same time, while the other pc I was running speedtest and opened a few pages to see how fast they open.

 

Everything seemed fine.

 

 

 

 

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: 2 Internet Lines in one Apartment


Lebada wrote:

 

So it's normal to get 25mpbs / 4mbps for Performance which is 12mbps / 2mpbs ( I believe ) ?

 


As nerd has stated, that is likely to be the short lived "Powerboost" assisted speed bursts and not actual sustained speeds.

Frequent Visitor

Re: 2 Internet Lines in one Apartment


EG wrote:

Lebada wrote:

 

So it's normal to get 25mpbs / 4mbps for Performance which is 12mbps / 2mpbs ( I believe ) ?

 


As nerd has stated, that is likely to be the short lived "Powerboost" assisted speed bursts and not actual sustained speeds.


 

Yeah I figured, just didn't know there is a powerboost for Uploads as well.

 

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: 2 Internet Lines in one Apartment

There is, as long as it is indeed configured on your particular system and that the extra/unused bandwidth is available at any given time. There are no guarantees.

Frequent Visitor

Re: 2 Internet Lines in one Apartment

Comcast phone rep just told me the direct opposite - if you want a 2nd internet line you have to get a 2nd account.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: 2 Internet Lines in one Apartment

Two year old thread closed.