Community Forum

2.4ghz 5ghz

New Poster

2.4ghz 5ghz

Before, there were two connections for our household. One "wifi 2.4" and the other "wifi 5.0 short-range". We bought the xfi pods and got them set up. Once they were set, our wifi showed only one connection. We called a so-called "xfinity technician" to come check our our problem. He came and the first thing I noticed was that he had no clue what an xfi pod was. He searched what it was and read the manual off the box to us which was pointless. After researching the xfi pods, he proceeded to do be confused and do nothing. He then asked for our permission to reset the router to it's default state and I said yes. After resetting it, he seemed to be in a rush to leave and acted like everything was going to work properly which I knew it wouldn't. He ended up leaving and here I am trying to fix what he messed up. So he told us that xfinity combines the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz into one and switches them back and forth to make sure you're connected to the best one. But as a gamer, I am playing and all the sudden the game freezes for like 10 seconds and starts back. Searching the internet has horrible and random lag spikes also. I check which band I'm connected to and sometimes it will say 2.4 and other times it will say 5. I just want to know how I can split them back into two seperate connections and be free of this frustrating issue.

[TLDR]: My router used to show two seperate connections, "wifi 2.4ghz" and "wifi 5ghz" but it now only shows one connections and switches between the two bands within that connection. I want to know how to split them and make them their own connections again. Thank you

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: 2.4ghz 5ghz

The easiest way is to use the XFi app and edit from there, if you split them you can’t use the pods

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

I forgot to add the fact that I can't switch over to manual on the admin page. It just stays on automatic. And there is no option to change on the xfi app. I'm thinking of just not using the xfi pods and going back to normal as things worked okay back then.

Silver Problem Solver

@JohnDiallo wrote:

I forgot to add the fact that I can't switch over to manual on the admin page. It just stays on automatic. And there is no option to change on the xfi app. I'm thinking of just not using the xfi pods and going back to normal as things worked okay back then.

My Orbi system works the same way the pods do.  I use the XB6 admin tool to make sure there is only one SSID for both bands.  Then all my wifi devices use that one SSID.  The Orbi system (and the pods) then determine which band each wifi device supports and provide the correct connection.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@JohnDiallo wrote:

So he told us that xfinity combines the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz into one and switches them back and forth to make sure you're connected to the best one. But as a gamer, I am playing and all the sudden the game freezes for like 10 seconds and starts back. Searching the internet has horrible and random lag spikes also. I check which band I'm connected to and sometimes it will say 2.4 and other times it will say 5. I just want to know how I can split them back into two seperate connections and be free of this frustrating issue.

[TLDR]: My router used to show two seperate connections, "wifi 2.4ghz" and "wifi 5ghz" but it now only shows one connections and switches between the two bands within that connection. I want to know how to split them and make them their own connections again. Thank you

You can't use the xFi Pods with two different SSIDs, there has to be only one SSID for them to properly work. The xFi Pods are meant to increase coverage area, not speed up your connections:

How do I know if I would benefit from purchasing Pods?
If you have rooms in your home with poor WiFi connectivity due to a weak or inconsistent WiFi signal, then xFi Pods may be a good solution. Pods help extend the range of WiFi coverage in your home to hard-to-reach areas, or areas with poor WiFi signals. They are not intended to provide the maximum speed of your Internet speed tier throughout your home.
For example, if you have a speed tier that provides download speeds up to 200 Mbps, Pods will not provide that speed throughout your home. Rather, the Pods will help you connect in areas where you could not previously connect to your in-home WiFi.
Pods will not exceed the maximum provisioned speed of your Xfinity Internet tier of service. Pods have a maximum throughput of 200 Mbps over a WiFi connection in laboratory settings. Other factors can affect speeds.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfi-pods-faqs

Your choices appear to be at this point:

1.  If you must use wireless for your gaming rig, then jettison the xFi Pods altogether and get a third party wireless router suitable for gaming,  hook up your Xfinity Gateway to it in Bridge Mode, and find a different method for expanding your wireless coverage, such as a wireless repeater, Powerline, or MoCA if you still need to. 
  2. Connect your gaming device to your Gateway using Ethernet and leave the Pods in place. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!