Community Forum

2.4GHz Network Not Working

New Poster

2.4GHz Network Not Working

We have an Apple Time Capusle (802.11ac model) plugged into our Xfinity telephony modem and it broadcasts a 2.4GHz network and a 5GHz network. Usually our download speeds from our router are 125mbps and our upload speeds are 25mbps, but that has not been occuring, so on Monday, May 16, 2016, we had a tech come to our house. He told me that he saw that our signal was abysmal and that it was horribly failing all of Xfinity's requirements (not sure why we were never notified until now), so he had to drop a new line and add an amplifier. We also have like 5 dead coaxial outputs in our house now (I feel like over the years, we have had techs just horribly mess up our wiring). He also took our old telephony modem and replaced it with a telephony gateway (which I did not want a gateway at all due to the issues that I have heard surrounding them). When he was there, the gateway was giving off on the 5GHz network 125 download/25 upload and my Time Capsule was giving off about 15 download/25 upload. He said I needed to "fix" my router and left. Once he left, the 2.4Ghz networks from BOTH my Apple Time Capsule and the telephony modem would give about 20 download/25 upload, while BOTH 5GHz networks from my Apple Time Capsule and the telephony modem were 125 download/25 upload. I turned off the wifi networks on the gateway, connected to the Apple Time Capsule, and this problem still occured for the 2.4GHz network. I disconnected the Apple Time Capsule, connected to the gateway wifi, and this problem still occured for the 2.4GHz network.

I have done everything that I can to try to get our 2.4GHz network to work, but nothing is working at all. We have 6 people in our house and our house is powered by many internet-enabled devices, such as Sonos speakers, Philips Hue lights, August deadbolts and a doorbell, etc... so it is causing extreme issues for us now. I even factory reset our Apple Time Capsule and still, the 2.4GHz network is not working. I do not believe that it is interference from other devices because our setup has not changed (until we got this new telephony gateway). Could a faulty gateway cause a bad signal for JUST the 2.4GHz network (on BOTH the gateway and the Apple Time Capsule).

Our new Xfinity Telephony Gateway model is DPC3941T. Our 2.4GHz network is not satisfactory anymore, yet our 5GHz network works. This is causing major headaches for our family.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: 2.4GHz Network Not Working

Could be double NAT causing the problem. Try browsing to 10.0.0.1 default user id is admin password is password Enable bridge mode on the gateway, it should reboot, you may then need to reset the time capsule and connect to ethernet port 1 on the gateway. (none of the other ports should work in bridge mode).

New Poster

Whenever I put the telephony gateway into bridge mode, none of my broadcasting wifi connections have a working internet connection. When I put both the telephony gateway and the Apple Time Capsule in bridge mode, my Apple Time Capsule notifies me of 2 errors: "No Internet Connection" and "Double NAT." I have always the Apple Time Capsule plugged into port 1 on the gateway, but alas, my 2.4GHz connetion from both the gateway and the Apple Time Capsule are abysmal speeds. I even factory reset my Apple Time Capsule, which has been a nightmare because I had to create a new Apple HomeKit house and readd all of my Hue lights and other Apple HomeKit devices. This is causing such a headache.

I have been talking to a Comcast rep through direct messaing on Twitter for about a week now (he scheduled the tech to come to my house on Monday, May 16, 2016), but he quit responding to me about 2 days ago when I told him that nothing was fixed (in my opinion, things are worse now).

The attatched photo is the speed that I got on my 2.4Ghz network today. Usually I get something such as 125Mbps download/25Mbps upload on the 5GHz networks. I highly doubt that these speeds are due to wireless congestion because this has never been a problem before. I have tried channels 1, 6, and 11, and none have proven to be effective.

Although I am receiving good speed test results for the 5GHz network, I am still experiencing problems with my 5GHz network. I still have trouble loading a mere SD video, it will load 2 seconds then stop, so I end up swithcing to my much more reliable ATT LTE data. Also, I have my Sonos system bonded to be a 5.1 surround sound system for my family room tv (1x Playbar, 1x Sub, 2x Play: 5). When I watch tv/stream music, I will have speakers drop out and back in constantly. It used to just be the Sub that would drop out for a period of time, but now either one or both of the rear speakers will drop out too. I have had the Playbar drop out too occasionally. We use SonosNet for the connection since we have about 12 Sonos devices in our house. The bonded 5.1 system uses a 5GHz network to connect. I have the wifi router about 4 feet from a Play: 5 that is conencted via ethernet to the router for SonosNet. The only devices that experience any issues would be the 4 devices in the bonded 5.1 surround system that use a 5GHz network to communicate.

This is all extremely problematic for my family because we have many Internet of Things devices and they are not operating properly now with speeds of 6Mbps for download on the 2.4GHz network. 

Thank you, Paranoid, for the advice. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea what to do because the Comcast rep on Twitter quit responding and the tech that came out was not exactly the most helpful. He speedtested the 5GHz network off of the new gateway and the wifi router and got speeds of 125Mbps download/25Mbps upload, but the 2.4GHz network from my router was extremely slow (he did not test the 2.4GHz network from the gateway) and he said that I needed to "get my router in order" then left. Once he left, I realized that the gateway 2.4GHz network was not working either, and I have tried everything to fix my internet since then.

IMG_2330.PNG
Silver Problem Solver

I'm not familiar with apple products, however bridge mode on the gateway should work with it, like any router. Some have had difficulty getting a connection after enabling bridge.

I'd try connecting a computer to port 1 on the gateway then enable bridge mode. Let it reboot, once you have an internet connection, disconnect the computer and connect the capsule to port 1. Then give the recessed reset button on the back of the gateway a quick 2 sec press. 

New Poster

Hmm yeah bridge mode made the wifi networks have no working internet connection.

I will try that when I get home. Thank you.

When the gateway is in bridge mode, what should the Apple Time Capsule be in? It gives me 3 options: DHCP and NAT, DHCP only, and Bridge Mode

*None of the 3 worked when the gateway was in bridge mode.

But I am still wondering why the 2.4GHz network coming from the gateway is giving me speeds of 4Mbps download/25Mbps upload (just like the Apple Time Capsule). I feel as though that is a faulty Gateway since the 5GHz networks are fine. I will test that setup you told me. Thanks again.

Silver Problem Solver

By bridging the gateway, you are turning off the internal router, so you would need DHCP and NAT on the capsule.

You do seem to have a few devices, maybe connect one at a time see what is slowing the 2.4 down the most. Of course if everyone is streaming HD movies at the same time it will slow things down, depending on which network they are connected to/

New Poster

Ok cool. I most often attempted to use the "DHCP and NAT" on the Apple Time Capsule when the gateway was in Bridge Mode. Even then it still gave a dead wifi connection.

I do not believe a device is slowing it down because when my entire family was gone yesterday, I spent a few hours working on this. Our setup has not changed, except for the new gateway. So there were no devices streaming anything, which is why this is most puzzling. For a week now the speeds have been no better than 10Mbps download on the 2.4GHz connection.
Diamond Problem Solver

If you getting slow speeds across the board, then how about posting the downstream power levels on all channels, downstream SNR on all channels and upstream power levels on all channels from the gateway. 

There's been no proof posted that you have any good speeds with a wired ethernet connection from the gateway to a single wired computer with a gigabit adapter.  None of this wi-fi issues can be looked at until your wired speeds are what they should be. 

http://10.0.0.1

New Poster

Those are my results.

Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at 10.05.10 PM.png