Community Forum

2.4 Ghz Smart Bulbs do not work with New Comcast Router

New Poster

2.4 Ghz Smart Bulbs do not work with New Comcast Router

We were recently was given a new Xfinity router by a Comcast technician who came out to service our unstable WiFi connection. He said that the equipment we had was not advanced enough to match the WiFi speed we are paying for. After he hooked up the 2.4 Ghz/5.0 Ghz combo router, our 2.4 Ghz smart bulb and other smart home equipment would no longer connect to the network. Our laptops no longer have to connect on one or the other networks 2.4 or 5.0, and that is beneficial, but our smart equipment is seemingly useless now.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and is there a fix for it?

Thank you!

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: 2.4 Ghz Smart Bulbs do not work with New Comcast Router

Try separating your networks instead of combining the 2. If you have pods you won’t be able to
https://www.xfinity.com/tips/change-wifi-name-password

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

Re: 2.4 Ghz Smart Bulbs do not work with New Comcast Router

When setting up 2.4 devices, I've found that switching to seperate networks just temporarily worked fine for me.

After set up I could switch back to the combined networks and operate the devices through apps on the phone/tablet or through Alexa if voice compatable. Even though the apps/Alexa would be on devices on the 5Ghz network.

I don't use pods though.

(simply switching off the 5Ghz radio temporarily. would force all wireless devices to connect to 2.4 only too.)