Community Forum

2.4 GHz Network is crippling slow

Regular Visitor

2.4 GHz Network is crippling slow

All of the sudden (starting last night) the 2.4GHz WiFi being broadcast from my router (Cisco DPC3941T) is EXTREMELY slow. The Xfinity Speed test is showing 3.4 Mbps download and 0.5 upload speeds. Totally unacceptable [feels like dial-up!] I've reset the modem several times and tried it again this morning - same result. The 5.0 GHz broadcast is just as fast as normal but my aging ASUS ROG laptop only supports 2.4 G. 

1. What do I do to get the 2.4 G back up to full speed?

2. Referring to my modem model, is this outdated? Should I get an upgraded one and if so, which model?

Thanks for the help.

Expert

Re: 2.4 GHz Network is crippling slow

@domtrump wrote:

All of the sudden (starting last night) the 2.4GHz WiFi being broadcast from my router (Cisco DPC3941T) is EXTREMELY slow. The Xfinity Speed test is showing 3.4 Mbps download and 0.5 upload speeds. Totally unacceptable [feels like dial-up!] I've reset the modem several times and tried it again this morning - same result. The 5.0 GHz broadcast is just as fast as normal but my aging ASUS ROG laptop only supports 2.4 G. 

1. What do I do to get the 2.4 G back up to full speed?

2. Referring to my modem model, is this outdated? Should I get an upgraded one and if so, which model?

Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately, the 2.4 GHz band is largely unregulated - all sorts of things operate on that frequency, from Bluetooth to WiFi to Zigbee, then there's things like baby monitors and cordless phones. It's also subject to interference from things like microwaves, USB 3.0 devices, monitors.... even adding a nearby wireless access point or repeater can severely impact your connectivity. See: 

Tips for Better WiFi Network Performance 

You might be able to get around that on your laptop by either using Ethernet or a cheapo Wireless AC USB adapter like this one

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: 2.4 GHz Network is crippling slow

While I do understand your reply and am aware of the potential causes of interference, it is unfathomable that the speed and performance would drop so significantly between Tuesday night and Wednesday night with no new devices introduced! 3 mbps ds is just not acceptable when paying for BLAST! 200. The only devices I run on the 2.4 band are those that do not support the 5.0 and they are the minority of what is in use in my home.

There has to be some other cause for the very sudden drop. I imagine I'll be having a Comcast tech come back out and re-test modem. When he was here last, we were getting ds of at least 40-50 mbps and, like I said, nothing has changed.

Let me know if you think of anything else I can test. Thanks.