Community Forum

1G modem range less than previous modem?

New Poster

1G modem range less than previous modem?

We just recently upgraded to the 1G xFi gateway. The modem is in the exact same location as our previous modem (which was the tower, leased from Comcast). We were previously able to get high speed internet throughout our small 2 bedroom condo. Now, with the Gateway, if we are in the garage or in the living room the internet slows WAY down or drops completely. Not really sure why we are paying for better WiFi if the service and range is not as good as what we used to have. Anyone else having a problem with this?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: 1G modem range less than previous modem?

@spencermeng wrote:

We just recently upgraded to the 1G xFi gateway. The modem is in the exact same location as our previous modem (which was the tower, leased from Comcast). We were previously able to get high speed internet throughout our small 2 bedroom condo. Now, with the Gateway, if we are in the garage or in the living room the internet slows WAY down or drops completely. Not really sure why we are paying for better WiFi if the service and range is not as good as what we used to have. Anyone else having a problem with this?

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Troubleshooting-Gigabit-internet-speeds/m-p/3145413#...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Thanks! Unfortunately I've tried all these steps. Looks like we're going to have to get a tech to come out? I just find it odd that the old tower worked fine everywhere in our condo, but with our new 1gig it drops when you go in the living room or garage. 

Expert

See: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Tips-for-Better-WiFi-Network-Performance/td-p/262765...

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thank you! I will certainly try adjusting the location. But that still doesn't make sense that the old modem, at the same location that the 1g modem is, worked better...

Expert

Try changing the channel of your network(s) as well. It is possible you got a bad device, so maybe swap it before you pay to have a tech come out. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!