Community Forum

16 consecutive T3 timeouts while trying to range on upstream channel

Frequent Visitor

16 consecutive T3 timeouts while trying to range on upstream channel

Starting on Friday 04/19/2019 I have experienced random internet drops.  They were usually few and far between but they are becoming more prominent.  Friday and Saturday was rainy and we tend to have internet issues when it rains which I have reported to Comcast for the last four years.  Nothing has been done but "note my account".

I contacted Comcast support three times today and three previous times since Friday.  The response has been reboot modem.  I am in IT and we moved past reboot a long time ago.  It is frustrating that their go to is always reboot.

Attached are screen captures of my Connection, Event Log, and Software for my Zoom 5350 modem.  Any assistance and guidance is appreciated.

2019-04-23 15_15_52-Residential Gateway Configuration_ Status - Connection.png
2019-04-23 15_16_40-Residential Gateway Configuration_ Status - Event Log.png
2019-04-23 15_17_21-Residential Gateway Configuration_ Status - Software.png
Expert

Re: 16 consecutive T3 timeouts while trying to range on upstream channel

The downstream channel stats are o-k. Also post the upstream power figures.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Sorry about that, I thought I captured the full screen.  See attached correct screen capture.

2019-04-23 15_40_43-Residential Gateway Configuration_ Status - Connection.png
Expert

The upstream power is approaching the high side / limit. Ever notice if it intermittently fluctuates even higher in to the 51-52 dB (or higher) area ?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I hadn't noticed before. I have an old screen capture from 07/17/2018.  The upstream channels were at 50.7 dBmV.  There were issues with the downstream channels not locking.

Frequent Visitor

It seems that most of the issues are between 3 and 5:30pm CT.  I am in the Nashville TN area.  There are issues all the time but usually spread apart.

Edit 04/24/2019 10:15am CT - Uploading updated screen captures

2019-04-24 10_12_26-Residential Gateway Configuration_ Status - Event Log.png
2019-04-24 10_11_45-Residential Gateway Configuration_ Status - Connection.png
Expert

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

Frequent Visitor

Excess splitters were removed 4 years ago by Comcast when they rewired the house.  My understanding is that there is one splitter on the outside of the house that has one connection into the house.  All wiring and the splitter were provided by Comcast.

Comcast has cut and refitted the ends of the wiring several times in the last 4 years when there was a service call.  Not once did this resolve any of the issues.

Set Up:

Direct connect from modem to PC - I do not use wireless due to Comcast support constantly making me undo wireless even though wireless hasn't been an issue.

No router - Same as above, Comcast constantly made me remove the router so now I no longer have it as part of my network.  The router was never an issue.

I have 1 PC connected to the modem.  Everything else has been moved to cellular internet due to the various issues over the last 5 years and support making me disconnect everything.

EDIT:  I am terrible with spelling and grammar

Expert

O/k well if there is nothing more that you can do, then as stated, you have no other choice except to get the techs involved again until it is fixed properly. The problem may lie beyond your premises. Good luck with it !

Frequent Visitor

A tech came out Monday.  He did minimal work on the outside, took him 45 seconds (yes, I timed him), he said nothing was wrong and left.  This was my last hope.  I think I am going to try and go all cellular internet.  It may be slower but it is reliable.

Than you for your time, you are appreciated.  I hope you have a great day.

EDIT:  Something like this would be awesome!  https://www.t-mobile.com/news/home-internet-pilot

Expert

Quite welcome Smiley Happy