Community Forum

10.0.0.1 view connected devices doesn't load

Regular Contributor

Re: 10.0.0.1 view connected devices doesn't load

As is Comcast's usual do-nothing support policy(?),  here's a seven month old thread with 101 posts and still nothing from Comcast or any Comcast people who occasionally offer help here. Seems like Brian Roberts is too busy having political fundraisers so be can get a thumbs up for the Tme Warner acquisiition.   

What are the chances this post will disappear?

Silver Problem Solver

@barbaramag3156 wrote:

As is Comcast's usual do-nothing support policy(?),  here's a seven month old thread with 101 posts and still nothing from Comcast or any Comcast people who occasionally offer help here. Seems like Brian Roberts is too busy having political fundraisers so be can get a thumbs up for the Tme Warner acquisiition.   

Slim to none.  You are aware that this is a user to user venue and Comcast folks are seldom seen, right?

How long have you had this problem?  Have you thought about buying your own router and just having comcast bridge their device?

Regular Contributor

@barbaramag3156 wrote:

Slim to none.  You are aware that this is a user to user venue and Comcast folks are seldom seen, right?

How long have you had this problem?  Have you thought about buying your own router and just having comcast bridge their device?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

James,

In addition to this thread, there are a literally allmost hundreds dealing with this problem. All one need do is a search here for "can't view connected devices" and you will see what I mean. It's been an on going problem for almost a year.and the Comcast folks who sometimes look here obviously do not have the wherewithall, technical expertise or sufficent clout to do anything about it. 

Sorry James but your saying "buy your own router" simply perpetuates the problem and is not a solution but does allow Comcast to continue giving us sub par equipment. .I see no reason to buy my own router if I'm paying for one from Comcast that is supposed to do the job.

The solution is obviously beyond the ability of we "users to users" and tech support is a waste of time. What recourse do we have? Who do we contact to get help?   

Regular Contributor

Wow! Reading this thread is just too much to resist. Here's my horror story. I tried to make a self installation kit with an Arris TG862 operational.Have you tried to get access to 10.0.0.1 lately? Perish the thought! I found something buried somewhere in fine print that said an ethernet cable is required but that doesn't work now, I finally discovered that if you see 10.0.0.1 in blue in a Comcast publication about gateways on your display  that will actually take you to the login page. How many articles have you seen in these forums about access to this address? In setting up my gateway i tried Comcast support with results that could only be called dismal. After what seemed like endless floundering i finally got the thing to work with none of the problems lamented here probably because the gateway is only 10 feet from my laptop. Trying to disable Xfinity WiFi is another big forum topic because "manage Xfinity WiFi" brings up a "we're sorry" error message. So as someone said earlier here's hoping Comcasts' attempts at corporate merger get the same degree of attention that complaints on this forum do.

New Poster

I am having the same problem. Yesterday, a technician came and fixed our performance problems. Last night, I was able to go to 10.0.0.1 via my browser and change the Wi-Fi SSID and PW. 

Today, however, I am unable to browse 10.0.0.1. Changing the browsers did not help.

I am able to PING 10.0.0.1. Therfore, the reachability is there but the HTTP request is not being served by the router (ARRIS TG862G).

I will try the reset!

Nagesh

Regular Contributor

knagesh here are a few things to try when you can't access 10.0.0.1.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/wireless-gateway-username-and-password

Find the numbers 10.0.0.1 shown in blue in this document. This is a link to the login/admin page of a TG862 gateway.

Try an ethernet cable from gateway to computer.

Create a new document. Type http://10.0.0.1 and hit enter to light up text as a hyperlink. Click it.

If any of this works CREATE A SHORTCUT in taskbar or desktop so you can return anytime.

Everybody re-read post 104 by barbaramag3156 in this thread. That pretty much says it all.

New Poster

Same problem here.

New Poster

**Bump** Yep same here.  Random cut outs from a very expensive e7440 Dell, load issues, can't get xbox in kids room to connect.  One issue after another.  Have they figured out a way to get firmware updates without having to go through a comcast push yet?  Gotta be a way....

Dan

Contributor

dan92277

Check your software version. Here is mine.

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: 7.6.86L

If you have that version, your connected devices will finally show up. The router still sucks because you can't turn off the local xfinitywifi (that is OPEN) so anyone can connect to your router and suck down your bandwith. They can't get into YOUR network but that's still wrong. I want to get an N or better router and have Comcast just bridge this Arris piece of garbage so it is only a modem.

You may need to do a hard reset on the Arris device to get the latest update.  If not, you'll have to call Comcast and have them update the router. It will reset and you should be good to go.

Frequent Visitor

I also have version 7.6.86L, however, if you go to Connection--> Wi-Fi on the menu, then go to the address bar in your browser and add a -1 after the page name, and before the .php, you will get the edit page for ALL wireless networks broadcasting from your device. (I don't remember the exact page name, but the end result will be something like  pagename-1.php   It showed my private network, and 2 public networks.  One of the public networks was xfinitywifi (open, with SSID broadcast) and the other had a long name (not quite a guid or mac address) ,was password protected and SSID was not broadcast.  I disabled the xfinitywifi, and changed the password for the other one and turned on broadcast just for fun.  I wanted to see how it performs and will disable it later.  Both of those networks were operating on channel 11, so I changed my network to a different channel with no competing networks in my area.

I'm sure the next time they push an update this will all go back to default, but in between those times I can control what my device is sending out.

Frequent Visitor

I was avoiding the separate wireless / Arris as a modem only scenario based on principle (see barbaramag3156 post 104 above).  I wasn't going to give in to that.  BUT...I received an Open Mesh AP with CloudTrax network management for Christmas and I love it. (My son is a network engineer and I think he got tired of my Bi***ing about this.)  I did not need to get Comcast involved to bridge. I just went into wireless page on the Arris and disabled Wi-Fi.  Bridging was an option in the AP setup. I can provide more detail if you're interested.

Now my main complaint I have is that they (Comcast) reset everything to default whenever they push software updates, so I need to go in and change my network back to MY settings - subnet, DHCP, port forwarding, etc.

Contributor

simpelli -

For this information alone you get the Medal of Freedom. I bow to your superior intellect.

I think bridging the Arris is the best option because, as you said, if Comcast sends down an update you won't know right away and you'll have to go through these steps again. It's not a difficult task, just one I wouldn't like to do over and over.

Thank you again for information. I've disabled the xfinitywifi and left the other one alone as well.

Frequent Visitor

Ha ha.  Thanks TooMuchTime.  That's what these forums are all about, right? 

BTW - I found that page by viewing the source of the Gateway home page. (In IE, right click--> view source, in Chrome, right click --> view page source)  In the code, there are a number of menu options that are commented out, with the page address in them.  I just copied them from the source page into my browser address bar to see what I'd get.  There's some interesting things in there, including line diagnostics and such.

Glad the info was helpful!