Community Forum

10.0.0.1 view connected devices doesn't load

Expert

Re: 10.0.0.1 view connected devices doesn't load

@TooMuchTime wrote:

I think we've found the answer!

However, this still is something that I believe Comast should fix.

This is not well thought-out software. 

Agreed. It's a firmware glitch and you guys happened to find a *work-around*.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

This worked for me. Changed the gateway (@192.168.1.1), removed the reserved IPs (since I couldn't remember which devices I had reserved, even though I tried to connect everything to see if the page would load - like others said, if they were connected, then the page loaded - but that didn't work for me).

after I changed everything to unreserved, and gateway back to default, connected devices page is loading now.

Regular Visitor

Workaround:

1. Hard reset.

2. Go to Connected Devices page while it's working.

3. When adding a new reserved ip address for the first time, make a bookmark/shortcut to the location you're at. (http://10.0.0.1/connected_devices_computers_add.php)

4. Continue adding reserved ip addresses.

5. If the Connected Devices page goes blank, just hit your bookmark to add a new reservation. 

I've tested this to work with 25 devices.

PS:  If you don't want to wait for the blank page, after adding an address, I found that you can just click the bookmark and add a new address without waiting.

Silver Problem Solver

Good answer.  Looks like you have done some research.

Frequent Visitor

I hope I'm not gonna burst any bubble here, but even though I have the same issue with the connected devices not showing I'm not seeing the same resolution. I only have 1 reserved IP on my network.  It's a server, it's always on and active. I did not reserve the IP through the gateway's interface, it was configured on the server's NIC so the gateway's DHCP saw the reservation and flagged the IP as such. All of the other devices -2 PCs, 2 laptops, android tablets, and 1 android phone and 1 iPhone are all configured for DHCP.

Some of the things I'm experiencing:

I can get the page back by just restarting the wireless, not a full reset.

When the page comes back, I would constantly refresh as clients connect to watch the list grow.

Once I get to 6 connections, the page no longer shows.

When it DID show There were a lot of inconsistencies:  Connected clients would show as off line - even the computer that I was accessing the page from (hard wired to the deice too)

Some DHCP Clients would show as reserved.  If I change them, they later show reserved again. (I've confirmed that the connection set up on the device is set for DHCP)

Other issues:

Managed Sites and Managed Services: I would set devices as "Trusted" but it would revert to "Untrusted" magically.

SSID would also magically change on it's own (to "admin")

Occasionally I've had the subnet revert to the default  Yes, these can happen after a reset, but days later?  I've done a reset, and accessed the site just fine with my custom settings intact, but suddenly, a couple of days later nothing can connect and I find that these connection essential settings have been changed.

I purchased this device and initially tested it out by only using it as a wireless router on my existing network.  Once I was satisfied with the connectivity and performance, I connected to Comcast and registered.  Had issues ever since.  It took nearl a month of tweaking and playing (mostly to get it to play nicely with my Cisco range extender)

Right now, other than the connected devices page not showing, it has worked pretty well for about a week. It certainly shouldn't take 3 weeks to set up to where it operates consistently. ...I had it running in 5 minutes out of the box when it was all factory firmware and interface and it wan nearly a week with no drops or performance issues.

I don't have the firmware build info at the moment but can provide it later if anyone is interested.

Contributor

@simpelli -- If you wouldn't mind posting the firmware info, that would be great. It's always worth knowing just in case you have something different.

I think the consensus is to have Comcast bridge the unit and then go get an N or Z router of your choice. I'm familiar and comfortable with NetGear and I think that's where I'm going. I will admit that when I had U-verse, the residential gateway was flawless. And I could be across the street and still get a wireless signal. This unit from xfinity is definitely substandard.

Frequent Visitor

@TooMuchTime

My Arris TG862G Info:

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: 7.6.59N 
Software Image Name: TS070659N_010914_MODEL_862_GW_CT 
Packet Cable: 1.5

Contributor

Hmmm! Very interesting! Here's my router info:

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: 7.6.59M
Software Image Name: TS070659M_092613_MODEL_862_GW_CT

So your software version seems to have a slightly newer image. It is obviously not enough of an update to actually force an upgrade. And reading the difficulties you have, I'm not sure I want to update to your version.

I still think the best way is to buy a separate stand-alone router and bridge the xfinity gateway which will effectively just make it a modem. When I set aside enough money for a router, I'm going that route.

Frequent Visitor

Yeah, I really hate to go that route but I may have to if they don't do anything about it. The thing that irks me is that nobody should HAVE to go that way.  I was in that configuration for years, but was using a Belkin b/g router that would work fine until all of the family would come visit during holidays and such.  Everyone had a phone and tablet and some had laptops... that little Belkin just couldn't take it any more. Plus, I wanted to move to n before it was obsolete. (almost is anyway)

My modem was DOCSIS 2 so I wanted to upgrade that too.  I just wish I had investigated these forums before making the purchase.  All reviews and research I did was outside of Comcast/Xfinity - other than to confirm that it was compatible.

Update - after my first post I did a full reset (wanted to start over) and the only config changes I made were to set my SSID and password, and change the subnet for the network. Also changed the DHCP lease time to 36 hours from the default 1 week. Didn't touch anything else.  The connected devices page has shown ever since - though I don't trust the data...  Still showing several "Reserved" addresses that should be DHCP and not showing computers that I know for certain are connected - like the computer I was accessing the page with which is wired directly to one of the rear ports. Anyway, it's running.  And it displays beyond the mysterious previous limit of 6 devices. I'm going to let it go for a while before attempting any further configuration changes.

Sidebar - before I made the switch, I did some speed tests because I wanted to compare before and after speeds with the modem.  My plan is supposed to be 30 up and 5 down.  With the original modem (4+years old) I got 27.4/4.1  After the upgrade, I got 28.9/5.8 Tests were within an hour of each other. Not really a noticable improvement.

New Poster

edit- nvm. not working

Regular Visitor

Wow, if the theory about having all devices with reservations online is true, I appear to be up a creek without a paddle on this one!  One of the devices that was configured has been exchanged under warranty, so the devce with the configured MAC address will never be seen on this network again.  If I knew the MAC address, I could spoof it in another device, but I didn't record it anywhere.

It looks like I'll be trying the hard reset or changing the IP address of the gateway tricks, but this will have to wait until the weekend.  In the meantime, here's the scoop on my gateway software version:

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: 7.6.59N
Software Image Name: TS070659N_010914_MODEL_862_GW_CT_SIP_PC20
Packet Cable: 2.0

The following is in my logs, so I suspect this when it went from "M" to "N":

SW download Successful - Via NMS, 23:52:02, 2014-03-09  
SW Download INIT - Via NMS, 23:47:41, 2014-03-09

Be back in a couple of days... unless I toast the gateway while trying to fix it.

~bithead

New Poster

I was having the same issue.  i also had issues with my Roku player at the same time (it had IP of 0.0.0.0, and doesn't let you manually change it).  added the MAC for the Roku under

Gateway>Connection>WiFi>Manually Added Network Devices

That didn't fix my Roku issues, but then under the same page, I think under "Auto-Learned Wireless Devices" but it might have been under something else, I clicked the ADD button.  That popped the Roku up to the Wireless Control List.  I then rebooted my Roku.

After that, both the Roku and the Devices pages loaded up just fine.

Contributor

I'm none too happy to find that Comcast has opened up my router with their xfinitywifi, My router seemed to work fine until this change.  In respect to the disconnected devices  I have a son that is at college.  His laptop and his cell phone both are not here.  I additionally changed over an old linksys router to DD-WRT being very careful to make sure that I flashed it with the same MAC address, and of course the old router is stuck as well.  Additionally I use allot of VMWARE for development where I boot the same device from different operating systems, both dual boot and where the mac address is different due to the player settings, I of course use the VM image until I no longer need it and can't run both configurations or all configurations at the same time.  And now finally: I pay to rent this piece of equipment.  When looking at the total cost of what I pay Comcast which is > 200$ per month it costs me more than my electric bill which heats and cools my house, runs the hot water heater, and runs the stove and oven, everything is on electric.  The fact that Comcast simply leaves this broken and has not provided an upgrade is really indicative of why this is a company that should not be allowed to merge with Time Warner.   I'll not speculate on the technical support proficiency but I'm genuinely irked to find that this company charges me to rent a hung router, it really is getting to the gall factor and we are discussing cutting the cord.  Educated people find this chronic lack of a solution irritating and my time billable is higher than any customer satisfaction reimbursement.   I wanted to craete a DMZ with much higher security and cannot because their router doesn't work as it should and that is a waste of my time and a security disadvantage.

Contributor

I just got a service ticket and have a tecnician coming out, will advise what make and model he provides that works.  But from a security perspective I find this really irritating, we have some devices (exercise equipment that has maps, wii, comcast voip) that require elevated access, and then I have other devices that are better behind a second firewall, video and media players etc..

Logging into a router and seeing it hung and xfinitywifi hanging off of it really disapointing and I'm not interested in hard-resets of technology to get it to work especially when I'm paying for a working unit.

Contributor

It's B-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-C-K!!

Last weekend I performed a hard reset on the Arris TG862G/CT unit. While it was coming up after the reboot, it auto-rebooted to load the new software.

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: 7.6.59N
Software Image Name: TS070659N_010914_MODEL_862_GW_CT

Here's what it was before. You'll notice the differences.

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: 7.6.59M
Software Image Name: TS070659M_092613_MODEL_862_GW_CT

When the router came back up, I set it up and powered on all of the devices in turn so they would get an IP through DHCP. I did NOT add any to the router as static, though some of the devices themselves (my TiVo for instance) are setup to request a specific IP address. I was able to view the connected devices page with no problem.

Today, I decided to check the connected devices and, you guessed it, the connected devices page is once again blank.

Thank you, Comcast; you have made my decision for me. This piece of garbage will be bridged so it will become nothing more than a cable modem and I will attach a REAL router to it for all of my home networking needs. Needless to say, my personal router will NOT be an Arris unit!

Regular Visitor

Hmmm...  a "couple of days" turned into 21 days... I suppose as long as no one was holding their breath waiting, all is OK.

The missing connections listing is still as sporadic as ever, but I did discover something cool in the meantime.  Using 

Contributor

@bithead42 -- Buying an Arris router yourself and not getting it supplied through Comcast might pose a problem. It all depends on how much modification Comcast has done to the software. It doesn't LOOK like they've done much customization but that could be surface look-and-feel & not the guts. Though whatever they've changed still has to work with the Arris firmware and hardware. So it's difficult to know. Personally, I'd stay away from Arris routers because if Comcast has made NO customizations, then it's Arris that has the problem.

Frequent Visitor

@TooMuchTime, @Bithead42
I did buy mine on Amazon and ran it for a week as a wireless router only before registering with Comcast
There were 2 admin sites..one to manage the wireless networking and one for telephony.Nowhere "under the hood"
were any signs of Comcast's fingerprints. Once I connected it to replace my DOCSIS2 device (which did not have wireless)
Comcast pushed its bits and the rest is history.

BTW - I've been very slowly configuring my network and the page is still viewable, thoug it is still unreluable data -
every device listed is in the "disconnected" group. Per my previous post after a hard reset I only changed the subnet
and set the DHCP lease to 1 week and left it at that for a while. Since, I've added a DMZ, port forwarding and some other settings
but one at a time with days in between changes.

I'm convinced this whole thing is designed for the lowest knowledge level user and Comcast feels that most people won't change anything
and as long as they can get on line everything must be good. MHO of course
Contributor

@simpelli -- I agree about the level of user knowledge. Put gas in from the outside; drive it from the inside. Don't look under the hood or you'll die from exposure.

One of my beefs with this router is that most devices just show up as Unknown Computer. Except iPhones which are listed just fine. This tells me that whoever wrote the crappy Comcast software spent the time to log Apple products properly but completely ignored other devices. Real computers show up (my Windows based PC does) but my Windows Phone and TiVo don't. Neither does an Android tablet or other Android devices. My son's friend connected a Wii and that is now listed. But my son's Xbox is just "Unknown Computer." And you can't alter that name. You can add a few notes but you're stuck with what Comcast decides to call the device. I never had this problem with a real router.

As soon as I can afford it, I'm buying a real router and this piece of comcast is going to get bridged.

Contributor

I think you make a good point, in followup: I was supposed to get a tech visit Saturday but the technician "put the request" in the wrong queue or that was what I was told.  So after waiting Saturday not a big deal, re-scheduled for Thursday.  But beyond looking under the hood at what Comcast is doing you have to observe the irony of Comcast being a slum landlord.  I went out and got a Netgear Nighthawk, and aside from the speed increase and manageability of the router replaced the old tandem of SBSBG6580 (mine) and an old WR54GS ver.6 flashed with DD-WRT.  After getting off the phone wih a decent person (American) who seemed to have an understanding of routers, (not the off-shore) chat support.. I disabled the wireless on the aris and got behind the nighthawk.

This router is essentially a "piece of junk" when you consider the rental cost to long-standing customers, especially customers who pay for the premium channels (and aren't we glad to know that all that is free in watchathon after paying for it)

ARRIS DOCSIS 3.0 / PacketCable 2.0 Touchstone Telephony Gateway
HW_REV: 5
VENDOR: Arris Interactive, L.L.C.
BOOTR: 1.2.1.62
SW_REV: 7.6.59N.SIP.PC20.CT
MODEL: TG862G

The old WR54GS ver.6 is a piece of junk, but it was my piece of junk, what Comcast does that is slum landlord behavior is treat it's long-standing customers with neglect sending out commodity boards and routers past their life-cycle configured to do things convenient for comcast and not the customer.  The tech suggested that they could send out a Technicolor 8305C Thursday.  I'm not sure I want them out and I'm considering cutting the cord. I'm not sure if $200/month is worth it?  I won't go as far as to state the competitor but I'm considering having them drop the DSL and test for 30 days.

But again, back to my point.. evidently comcast doesn't care if you don't look under the hood, shop alternatives, they expect that $2400.00 per year.  The service?? More often than not horrible, speeds are sporadic and really at a certain point paying less probably makes sense once you invest in a router that makes the most of what you have.   But trust me there are quantum leaps in the performace in respect to quality of router you use.  I'm going to test the waters and though was all frustrating possibly a good thing if I look back and I'm saving $140/month.

But yeah.. Comcast cares nothing about their renters unless they vacate that slum tennant location, they don't care then.  You have to look under your own hood and make a decision.  But value??  Hmmmm..  Even Comcast provided the watchathon material for free and I was dumb enough to pay for it, old router... pos equipment... thats how they treat their longstanding carriage trade customers.

Thats just a fact.

Contributor

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3421725403 I'll share the results: Ping 15ms 95.02 MBS download 10.74 MBS upload That is with a SBG6580 (mine) behind a Nighthawk behind the TG862G (I have VOIP) on a stock Aspire M3450 with 16Gig Memory I never got anything that good until I upgraded the router this weekend ($200) and I'm curious if I could get by on DSL? But again.. never anything close to this until I dropped the netgear
Frequent Visitor

I was having the same problem (blank "connected devices" page), and found a fix that worked for me.

My problem was related to the DHCP address range reservation. 

Step 1: Go to the router page Gateway>connection>local IP network.  Restrict the end of the DHCP address range reservation so that it ends somewhere in the middle of the address range, such as 10.0.0.99.  This means that the router will only assign DHCP addresses in the range [2..99].

Step 2: When assigning a reserved DHCP address, make sure that it is *outside* of the range owned by DHCP from step 1.  For example, assigning a reserved address to 10.0.0.100 is OK since it is not within the range [2..99].

There would appear to be a router firmware bug that shows up if you reserve a DHCP address that is within the range owned by the router's DHCP server.  If you do that, you will get the annoying blank page for "view connected devices".  Once that occurs, the only way I found to recover was to reset the router to factory defaults, then apply the two step process above before adding any new device at reserved addresses.

New Poster

Well i had that issue and contacted comcast and was helped wounderfully, i have never had any issue with comecast support so please calm down and ask them to help you. and ask for shakisha! she is the bomb! 1-800-xfinity. good luck

Regular Contributor

Will you share the help info you received from shakisha? We have hundreds of users looking for a solution. Most have already called Comcast but received no help.

New Poster

Any update on this?

Silver Problem Solver

Not sure which device, but it was said that having reserved IP addresses for missing devices would cause the View Attached devices window to remain blank until all the devices that have reserved IP addressses are connected and working. 

You could do a hard reset which would clear the Reserved IP addresses and allow the View Attached devices page to display.

your mileage may vary.

Regular Contributor

Cute. My reply post To JamesR stating any type of reset is useless and Comcast should be the one to fix this has disappeared.  WHY?

Silver Problem Solver

Don't know what happpened to your post.  But I got it and saw that you were unhappy but I did not see anything there that would cause them to remove your post.  

You need to be aware that this is a User to User forum with Comcast people being few and far between.

So then, if you want to actually resolve the problem, you can:

1. Just stop reserving IP addresses and then the page should always come up

2. Ensure that all devices that have a reserved IP address are always on and connected to the router/

3. Buy your own wifi router that handles disconnected devices in a better manner.

4. Set Static IP adresses in each PC and live with dynamic addressing for tablets and smartphones.

Just so you know, I currently own my own Modem and Router and I have the same problem you are having with your comcast supplied gear.

I currently use Plan #4 from above to resolve my issue and make my View Attached devices page come up reliably.

Contributor

@JamesR

Number 1 doesn't work. I had no problem with viewing the connected devices page until Comcast updated something. So, I did a hard reset to clear all customizations from the Arris device and now I have no reserved IP addresses. I could see the connected devices page for about a day and half. Now it is blank and has been since the reset.

A few devices have static IP addresses set in THEIR configuration but that should have ZERO impact on DHCP. They will just keep requesting the same IP address, and since I powered on my devices with static IPs first, they got the IP addresses they requested.

Whatever it is, it is NOT something I am doing. Unfortunately, I am stuck with this modem / router setup because I get my phone service through Comcast. Otherwise, I would buy a NetGear cable modem / router device and return the Arris junk to Comcast.

Problem Solver

@TooMuchTime wrote:

Whatever it is, it is NOT something I am doing. Unfortunately, I am stuck with this modem / router setup because I get my phone service through Comcast. Otherwise, I would buy a NetGear cable modem / router device and return the Arris junk to Comcast.

Not really, you can call and have that gateway set to Full Bridge Mode and drop your own choice of quality router behind it to run your network. It works fine as a modem with eMTA.

Contributor

Yes, that's what I plan on doing. What I meant was the problem is not something caused by me. It was caused by Comcast who seems to be unable or unwilling to fix the problem.

Regular Contributor

James,

I do understand your position, I assumed posters using Comcat***** names were Comcast people who may be in a position to help with the problem. I'll probably go the separate router but not happy about it because, in my opinion  it's Comcast's responsibility.

Contributor

...because, in my opinion it's Comcast's responsibility.

Bingo!

Frequent Visitor

That's my main irritation also. Why don't they do something about this?

My workaround that has held up for a while is to set my reserved IPs outside of the DHCP range. I set my DHCP to be x.x.x.2 to x.x.x.99 and start my reserved addresses at x.x.x.100.  That keeps the page available to me, but most of the time it still shows connected devices as disconnected, wireless devices as ethernet and almost every device as UNKNOWN COMPUTER.  So lame.. I know it's not that difficult to pull the device name from the connection (I'm an app developer- I've done it a number of times)

Also:

I know that this is a different forum topic, but why in the he** do they have to reset my customizations to the default every time they push an update?  Change my subnet, my SSID, login info....  And there is no facility to save/load configurations.  WTH??  I started with this in February at eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: 7.6.59N and now I'm at eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: 7.6.59SThe latest update last weekend, and again, I had to completely reconfigure everything. I'm wondering if developing the software for this device is a class project somewhere and each update is a step in the course progression... "Hey, we learned something new today!"  "Push it out!!!

Silver Problem Solver

It looks like you have given this matter some thought.

You might want to call comcast and have them put your eMTA into full bridge mode which will cause it to function as a cable modem and provide the necessary telephony functions.

At that point you would want to front the modem with a good quality Wireless Router.

At this point any action by comcast will affect the EMTA only and your settings will be secure.

Incidentally, Netgear routers provide the ability to Back up and restore the Router settings to the Hard drive of the computer you use to access the router admin page.  You can find the Backup / Restore functions under Advanced.

Frequent Visitor

@JamesR:
thanks for your input, I appreciate it.  I get what you're saying, completely.  But my entire point. and the source of my frustration is, with all of the resources Comcast has, why can't they provide something that just works without the need for everyone to come up with various workarounds for issues?

I was in that configuration previously, with a DOCSIS 2 voice/modem and a separate G router (The modem was not a gateway). I wanted to upgrade to DOCSIS 3 and at least N router so I purchased this device on Amazon - it's not a Comcast lease - with the expectation that it would just work. I researched the device based on users of the device alone, not the provider it was connected with. (my mistake there I recognize).  In fact, when I first connected it to my network, I used it as a replacement for the old router for a week, leaving my V2 modem in place,  just to evaluate the wireless. I was very satisfied with the performance and the number of configurable options it offered.

So, I replaced the v2 modem, connected this, and registered it with xfinity.  Their software was pushed to it and, as they say, the rest is history.

So my gripe is based in principle.  I don't want to pay for another piece of equipment when I have one that is supposed to do the job,  and perform properly.  (Which this will in its native form)

BTW - almost ANY router offers the ability to save / load a configuration file - even this Arris before the option was taken away

Fun fact: even though I returned the leased modem to a Comcast service center in February, it was not until last week that they finally agreed to take the $8 lease charge off of my bill.  They claimed I was stuill using it, even though they could not communicate with it (several "techs" asked me to reboot it so they could confirm it was functioning)  Sorry...more venting

Problem Solver

Comcast does "need" to control the firmware of the modem or device connected to cable. This is why it is a better idea to split out modem from router. The all-in-wonder devices are fine for basic connectivity but you will just never have the fine control a dedicated router allows (serving two masters).

Comcast like any other company that is there to make a profit is going to go with a best fit for least cost model. They want something that works okay for the widest range of users rather than the best option (more expensive) with features a large segment of their user base will never notice or care about. Out and out junk would end up costing them too much in warranty service, but they are going to go lowest bidder that meets profile.

The Arris 862 gateway they have been pushing works fine as a modem and offers eMTA that is solid for those wanting voice option. It leaves much to be desired for wireless performance, but it does let them set up some sort of local hotspot(such as it is, and what there is of it). Self owned voice (eMTA) modems are thin on the ground. Also not all local franchises allow user owned eMTA yet. If you don't need the voice option buying your own modem could save you long term cost from rental.

Router choice is all about what suits your needs and budget. No need for the latest greatest if you don't have devices  or adapters to take advantage of them. Just make sure you go with one with gigabit wired side for the fatter pipeline to modem.

Regular Visitor

I really resisted the buy-your-own-wireless-router solution, but eventually caved in. I bought a $20 300N TP-Link router and had Comcast change the Arris device to bridged mode.  This solved my management and wireless connection woes, and also solved some other connection issues that were driving me nuts - I never suspected the Arris device for spotty connections from the internet and then over Ethernet, but this change cured some of those as well.  It was the best $20 I've spent in a long while.

Contributor

I'm wondering if developing the software for this device is a class project somewhere and each update is a step in the course progression...

I think it's the same crew that developed healthcare.gov

Problem Solver

@TooMuchTime wrote:

I'm wondering if developing the software for this device is a class project somewhere and each update is a step in the course progression...

I think it's the same crew that developed healthcare.gov

Ouch! That is just mean! Besides that one was done by professional Government employees that took pride in their effort.

Contributor

Besides that one was done by professional Government employees that took pride in their effort.

Yeah. That's what I meant.

Frequent Visitor

@JEMRING wrote:
... They want something that works okay for the widest range of users...

I totally understand what you're saying. I think you've missed my point, but that's ok.  I'm just going to leave it at that. I do believe, however, that the majority of posters here will agree that the minimum requirement of "works okay" is not even being met.

Regular Contributor

"Works Okay" doesn't do it for me. I'm told to buy a router at my expense because Comcast cannot or will not fix a problem on a gateway for which I'm required to pay a monthly rental. What's wrong with this picture?
Problem Solver

@barbaramag3156 wrote:
"Works Okay" doesn't do it for me. I'm told to buy a router at my expense because Comcast cannot or will not fix a problem on a gateway for which I'm required to pay a monthly rental. What's wrong with this picture?

You do not have to rent, you have the option to buy anything on compatibility list that suits your needs. eMTA is only kicker, verify your franchise allows user owned.

It is a different world, bet Comcast at times wishes they were back in Henry Ford's era.

You remember that fellow? A misquote if you will... I make cars available to anybody, they can have them in any color they choose as long as they choose black.

If you are posting and reading these boards on a fairly frequent basis you are not in the basic realm of plug it in and done.

You want better performance and the ability to tweak and tune your hardware. Mods cost time and/or money. A generic car gets you there and back, a street rod does it with a personal style.

But it is the active modders who demand more and better that will bring up the standard of "good enough".

Contributor

What angers me is that the connected devices page is there for a reason and that reason is to manage your connected devices!

I have a question for Comcast. If I call you with some problem and in troubleshooting the issue you tell me to check the connected devices page, exactly what am I supposed to do?

Frequent Visitor

I would easily accept a minimal set of management and configuration options as long as the individual items worked as they should. That is the issue.  Period.  If it is offered in the interface I would expect that it do what it is supposed to do. Device management is a basic tool. The title of this forum topic is just one instance of many different issues I've experienced with this gateway interface.

If I choose black, I expect to recieve black.

Regular Contributor

And No No No!

I don't want to go to the expense of buying my own modem and router. I do want Comcast to provide a fully functional gateway for which I pay a monthly rental.

Anyone disagree?

PS: My daughter has the Arris TC8305C  with eMTA &DOCSIS Software Version:01.E6.10.09 and her connnected devices page works.  Maybe I can swap the TG862 for a TC8305C. Hope it still works after Comcast updates the firmware.

Frequent Visitor

try changing internet Browser. Sometime i've notice some feature will not appear until new browser like Mozilla firefox opens it. I use google chrome. 

New Poster

trying to x out connected devices and they still appear connected, help

Contributor

@xfiniteproblem -- In my experience, removing connected devices from the xfinity Arris router is a bad idea. What I found when I tried this step was that once I removed the device, I could not get it to re-attach again! For some reason, clicking the X to remove the device is actually a "never allow this device to attach again -- ever" function. YOU may find it to act differently, but that was my experience. I had to do a hard reset and let the devices attach on their own again.

If you read this full thread, you will find that Comcast has really screwed up by using the Arris TG862G/CT router. Either the router itself is junk or the Comcast branding has turned it into junk. Or both. No one here seems to know which one. However, we DO know that the router IS junk. We are waiting for Comcast to make this better but I doubt that will happen.

The consensus is to get a 3rd party router (your choice) to handle this function. Have Comcast bridge the Arris and just use it as a modem, since that's all it is good for. Then, just configure the 3rd party router to administer your network. If you do not have phone service through Comcast, you can get your OWN cable modem/router device and Comcast will perform something akin to alchemy on it so it will work with your Comcast service.

If you are intent on using the Arris router, be prepared for little documentation and almost zero support. And when I say support, I mean to fix the router and have it work properly, the way a NetGear or LinkSys or other 3rd party router would work.