Community Forum

1 Gigabit Speed Tier slow speeds download

Contributor

1 Gigabit Speed Tier slow speeds download

I recently just moved to a new place and I was getting excellent speeds  for about the first 2 months  now I am getting horrible speeds not even close to the 1gb advertised I am averaging about 33mb on the download all of my computer specs are up to date Core I9 7980xe 18 core cpu 32gb ddr4 ram 512gb SSD  windows 10 x64  Netgear cm 1000 Modem with a cat6 cable I have an appointment scheduled for October the 10th but to be honest I don't think the tech will be able to fix it maybe there is some type of outage in my area here is my current setup currently attached photo.

IMG_0400[1].JPG
Expert

Re: 1 Gigabit Speed Tier slow speeds download

Hi @animepower

See: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Troubleshooting-Gigabit-internet-speeds/td-p/3145413...

And: troubleshooting guide. If you still need help, please post your equipment details (make/model of your modem/gateway/router) and a screenshot of your signal levels and your error/event log. Thank you!

Video: How to view power levels and event logs.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

here is my modem netgear cm1000 and event log

cm 1000 log.jpg

Tags (1)
Contributor

sent receive package.jpgsent and receive packets

Expert

Please post upstream and downstream power levels too.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

upstream and downstream screenshots

downstream 1.jpgdownstreamupstream 1.jpgupstream

Expert

@animepower

I've asked an employee to take a look at modem and node health. You can expect a reply in this thread

Official Employee

Hi, animepower, thank you for reaching out here. 

Let's take a look at the speeds further together. Can you please send me a PM with your first/last name? Thank you. 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “send a message.”

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Thank you.

Contributor

Current download speeds after tech visit still very disappointed with the service I am paying for 1Gig. On a Netgear CM1000 Modem Hardwired.

IMG_0418.jpg1gb file download

Expert

You can't test speeds that way. You have no idea of the server limitations. Test speeds @ speedtest.xfinity.com.  DId the tech test speeds? What did they tell you?

Contributor

yeah according to speedtest websites I am getting the proper test results but I just notice when I download big files like on steam its never more than 33 average mb on the download usually. compared to when I first moved in to my new place I was reaching 80-95mb on average. He said I might have to look into changing my modem that I just bought last year the CM1000 so I guess I will try to give it a month or 2 then see how things turn up if I continue to get slow speeds I can lease the comcast modem.

Expert

FWIW, My Steam downloads have been stinking lately too.   I don't know why ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Contributor

Re: Not getting full Gigabit speed

can someone please show me how to enable the CTF, and disable the jumbo packets I have disabled windows firewall to see if I get a change in speed. I am using an Aquaris 10G embedded Network on my motherboard on Cat6 with a Netgear CM1000 modem.

Expert

@animepower wrote:

can someone please show me how to enable the CTF, and disable the jumbo packets I have disabled windows firewall to see if I get a change in speed. I am using an Aquaris 10G embedded Network on my motherboard on Cat6 with a Netgear CM1000 modem.

FWIW, even though you are using a 10G capable device, the CM1000 has only a 1G capable ethernet port, so you will still only be able to get a max of around 940 Mbps due to the inherent ethernet overhead.

Contributor

yes I understand that but my problem is I am not even getting the advertised 940mb on download now the most I receive on the download is about 55mb average would it be worth it to invest in a network card to achieve the advertised speeds my isp provides?   

https://www.amazon.com/Aquantia-NIC-5-speed-Ethernet-Network/dp/B07C5VLVFF?th=1

Previous speed about 100mb/s on steam downloads back in june/ August service was great

gb internet.JPGprevious speed june-augustcurrent speed1.JPGcurrent speed 10-15-2018

Contributor

I'm thinking about switching to Atnt Fiber and see how it goes. At least I will get true fiber that way and my download and upload will be 1000/1000 FTH so hopefully that even results in better latency in online pc gaming compared to coaxial with comcast.

Expert

@animepower wrote:

At least I will get true fiber that way and my download and upload will be 1000/1000 FTH so hopefully that even results in better latency in online pc gaming compared to coaxial with comcast.

FWIW, increasing one's speed / bandwidth capability will not necessarily help to improve any potential excess "latency" / RTT's. They are 2 separate  properties.

A good read;

https://www.highspeedinternet.com/resources/bandwidth-vs-latency-what-is-the-difference/

Contributor

@EG wrote:

@animepower wrote:

At least I will get true fiber that way and my download and upload will be 1000/1000 FTH so hopefully that even results in better latency in online pc gaming compared to coaxial with comcast.

FWIW, increasing one's speed / bandwidth capability will not necessarily help to improve any potential excess "latency" / RTT's. They are 2 separate  properties.

A good read;

https://www.highspeedinternet.com/resources/bandwidth-vs-latency-what-is-the-difference/

Thanks for this.

Expert

Quite welcome ! Smiley Happy

Contributor

current speeds on the new atnt service will update in a few days.

Expert

O/k so how is the latency now ?

Contributor

This is actually my first time using fiber but if I had to compare it to dsl and cable it feels more stable less stutter I hope that makes sense. In online games

Expert

The comparative latency numbers would be the proof of the pudding. Numbers don't lie ! 😉

Contributor

@EG wrote:
The comparative latency numbers would be the proof of the pudding. Numbers don't lie ! 😉

my ping is usually 23 on the cable with the fiber its about 10-11 

Expert

Pinging what ? FWIW that's really an negligable difference for gaming..

Contributor

well I don't like the datacap comcast put on my service so I will be cancelling it for now.

Expert

Good luck in future ! Smiley Happy