Community Forum

xfi pods concept sold to me be xfinity support, now I can't return them

New Poster

xfi pods concept sold to me be xfinity support, now I can't return them

Recently, my wife requested that I move our xfinity dual-band modem/router inside a cabinet, where she doesn't have to look at it. I figured this would negatively affect the wifi signal, so went on xfinity support and had a chat with a tech. I asked him if the use of xfi pods would suitably boost our signal and solve this potential problem. His answer was, "Yes, that should work". So I ordered a set of 3 pods online from xfinity. When they arrived, setup was easy and through the xfi app all 3 pods were recognized and putting out a strong signal. Everything looked good so I tossed the box they came in (who holds onto boxes when a device seems to work fine and you have no intention of returning it?). After a week or so I did finally move the router inside the cabinet and then the truth became readily apparent: the signal degraded notably and in some cases - a back room TV wifi, for example - was lost.

I then got on the phone with xfinity tech support, and the second person I had to talk to actually knew something about this, rather than issuing the stock response of "would you like me to reset your router?". She said that what I wanted to do really wouldn't work, that the router shouldn't be concealed behind a cabinet door, and that it should preferably be placed up high near the ceiling. She also told me what I had suspected: that the pods require a single wifi network/band, and that one was 2.4 G, rather than the more preferrred 5 G that I had been using successfully throughout the house all along. She suggested I uninstall and then return them to the nearest xfinity store. This I did, but even armed with a receipt (and well short of the 30 day return window) the store refused to take them back because of the recently disposed of box. I stated that I was willing to pay a re-stocking fee in lieu of the box, but they flatly refused (to the point of rudeness).

Two additional over the phone tech support agents later, I was finally able to get my 5 G network back, after also moving the router to a better location. My network works great this way - no use for pods at all. Note that I never would have ordered them had the original chat tech not given me erroneous information. After several more phone calls and a return trip to the xifinity store, I'm still stuck with these useless (for me) pods. Phone support says that pods MUST be returned to the retail store; the retail store says no box, no return, you have to call the 800 number. This is unaccepatble service, and an unreasonable policy, in my opinion. I'm hoping that in writing this post, someone will learn from my mistake, but also that perhaps a Comcast representative might see it and take some action. If I kept every box from purchases I made, I'd need to rent a warehouse!

Official Employee

Re: xfi pods concept sold to me be xfinity support, now I can't return them

jtman53 - Thank you for taking the time to reach out & share your experience. I apologize for the frustration. In regards to the location of your Gateway – it should be placed in the most central location of your home, making sure it is at least a couple of feet off of the floor and not blocked by furniture. From your post, it sounds like you now have it in a good location!

I do want to clarify that while Pods require that you only have one WiFi network name and password - your network still has both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radio bands, but now the Gateway will sort out the best connection at any given time for your devices.

That said, it sounds like you didn't need the Pods.  I've reached out to the right team to help - someone will contact you via phone to assist you with the return.  Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any other questions.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thanks for your help. I was able to take the pods to a nearby UPS store, who successfully scanned them for return approval by Comcast and shipped them back. I also got a call from a Comcast rep offering to assist me in the return. Thanks again.

Official Employee

jtman53 -- Glad to hear we were able to assist.  Please feel free to reach out if you need troubleshooting help in the future.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!