Community Forum

xb6 ethernet drops to wifi and back again

Regular Contributor

xb6 ethernet drops to wifi and back again

Since getting a THIRD xb6 ,  I notice that , on my desktop, which is ethernet cable to the modem , keeps changing to wifi for a few seconds, then back to ethernet.  Happens intermit.  I have tried turning off wifi on my desktop, but still happens.  Sometimes it is so quick, the browser doesn't even catch it and other times I get an internet drop popup, and have to refresh.

I recently upgraded to the xb6. My first two, in a period of two weeks, were Arris and the modem kept dropping off the phone. This time I finally got a Technicolor brand, and the phone works great, but this lan/wifi thing happens.

I have an HP desktop about 10 years old running Windows 10.

Anyone seen/heard of this ?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: xb6 ethernet drops to wifi and back again

@ghoofie wrote:

Since getting a THIRD xb6 ,  I notice that , on my desktop, which is ethernet cable to the modem , keeps changing to wifi for a few seconds, then back to ethernet.  Happens intermit.  I have tried turning off wifi on my desktop, but still happens.  Sometimes it is so quick, the browser doesn't even catch it and other times I get an internet drop popup, and have to refresh.

I recently upgraded to the xb6. My first two, in a period of two weeks, were Arris and the modem kept dropping off the phone. This time I finally got a Technicolor brand, and the phone works great, but this lan/wifi thing happens.

No, I don't have an old HP ruinning Win10.

You might try looking into your Ethernet Settings.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: xb6 ethernet drops to wifi and back again

@RobertWy wrote:

@ghoofie wrote:

No, I don't have an old HP ruinning Win10.

You might try looking into your Ethernet Settings.

Update:  Researching, I found where I could change the duplex settings on my lan.  It was set to AUTO, so I changed it to FULL duplex, same problem. I changed to HALF duplex and it works now. Not sure why either my LAN card or the new modem doesn't like full...but it works and I don't see any slowdown with browsing or even speed tests.