Community Forum

xFi pod real world speeds?

Frequent Visitor

xFi pod real world speeds?

I see lots of negative reports, but understand help forums will be skewed toward these. I am interested in if anyone is having a good experience with the xpods? What was your speed before, and what speeds are you seeing now away from your primary router where the xpods are located?

Frequent Visitor

Re: xFi pod real world speeds?

I haven't measured actual Mbs. But I stream 1080p video with DTS MA from a plex server to a nvidia shield. Works fine. That would be between 10-25 Mbs. Also there have been 3 up to smart phones using the the same pod while we were watching a movie. 

New Poster

I'm getting 50-75 MPS on mine.   

Silver Problem Solver

@JRCTheWoodlands wrote:

I'm getting 50-75 MPS on mine.   

What Internet plan do you have?  I have 400/10 and my Orbi can provide 350+ when I am next to my gateway but the Orbi is also next to the gateway.  In the back bedroom I'm getting ~250.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

hmartone,

i only had my pods for about a month.  Something happened (I didn’t change anything) where the pods started pushing all the devices into the 2.4ghz network.  Basically bringing it to a screeching halt.  When devices were connected to the pods they were getting 200-300kbs (yes, that’s a ‘k’).  Removed the pods and the performance was in line with what I would expect for the 2.4ghz band - around 30-40Mbps.  Once I removed the pods I also went back and separated the WiFi networks.  That way I was sure which devices were connecting to what without having to go into the router portal.  However over the last couple days the 2.4ghz seems to be degrading (not sure how that works) because most can barely get 3Mbs when they are only 20ft from the router and basically one sheetrock wall.

i do have A LOT of devices but when directly connected to the router the 5ghz devices (~20) get about 120Mbps when their 60ft through several walls.

i know WiFi can be finicky but that’s my situation and troubleshooting I’ve done.

Router: XB6

Internet package: 250blast

BigLuga

Frequent Visitor

@RobertWy wrote:
In the back bedroom I'm getting ~250. 

via your Xfinity wifi or the Orbi?

I am using an Orbi system as well, and get a solid 250+ throughout my house. Via the Xpods, I got 250 near the gateway, but that dropped to 10-60 via the pods. 

Frequent Visitor

hmartone,

Which Orbi system did you go with?

Thanks!

BigLuga

Silver Problem Solver

https://www.amazon.com/RBK53-AC3000-Tri-band-System-router/dp/B01N76QTYB/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1533...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Orbi RBK50 (router + 1 full size satellite) is working well for my needs.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Orbi-Home-System-RBK50/dp/B01K4CZOBS

Frequent Visitor

Thanks,

I just returned my xfi Pods and have been looking at the RBK23

(https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Orbi-System-3-Pack-RBK23/dp/B07CQDHPFT/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UT...)

I have an odd layout with my router in the middle of the house on the 2nd floor, but need strong 2.4ghz to reach to the basement and outskirts of the house (cameras). I don't know enough on the technical side to know if there's a huge drop off when it comes to the capabilities of each (e.g. radio strength) that's why i though of blanketing the house with the sats.

I like the 2 satellite setup of the RBK23 with the ethernet ports.  I'd place the sats at either end othe house on the first floor and connect my work devices directly to the sat at one end and connect my TV to the sat at the other end.

My house isn't that big (maybe 3000qft with the basement) but i have upwards of 35 devices connecting.  So i wasn't sure if the radio in the 50 series would be better for that number of devices.  Many of the IoT on the 2.4ghz so i want the sats mainly for that level of coverage/signal strength.  Haven't found documentation to help with my requirements.

Thanks again,

BigLuga

New Poster

I just installed 3 pods in a three story house, and these are my measured speeds. I kept all pods on first floor to distribute evenly for all but the third floor, and I still get 33 mbps on that floor. The rest of the house I get 75 mbps to the pods, and 296 mbps when connected to the gateway. I’m happy with the mesh, and even getting good speeds outside on the porch. Now I can work outside on nice days