Community Forum

xFi notification "New Device Connected"

New Poster

xFi notification "New Device Connected"

Yesterday my xFi app sent me about a dozen push notifications for "New Device Connected" regarding various things connecting to my home wifi network. None of the devices (including various iPads, Google Home devices, an Oculus VR, etc.) were familiar to me, so I paused them all. Next I took additional actions of: 1. changing my wifi password; and 2. updating my wifi settings to hide my wifi name (i.e. not broadcast the SSID). Despite changing my password and hiding my network I'm still getting new notifications from xFi for a few additional unknown devices connecting to my home network.

Can someone please explain how devices are able to connect to my hidden wifi network without knowing the SSID or password? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Regular Contributor

Re: xFi notification "New Device Connected"

This is not a new issue.  Actually, it goes back more than a year, to January 2018, but seemed to quiet down last October.  It came back on my XFI webpage a few days ago showing an unknown device as "not connected" and it does not show on my gateway, only the XFI page.  Lots of differing scenarios.  Took Comcast a long time to do something, but it appears that fix may no longer be working.  Lots of reading in this link, but it'll give you a good picture of the situation.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-xFi/quot-a-new-device-has-connected-quot/td-p/3038523

Regular Visitor

flaboy, did your problem with this ever stop? Mine just started last night and I cant believe there is no solid answer with so many people having the same problem. Is this a serious issue or is it nothing to worry about. You seem to know the most about it unlike the incompetent support team at xfinity. 

Thanks

Official Employee

@BethPope1, I took a quick look into this for you and noticed that you have at least 1, possibly 2, WiFi extenders on your network. Third-party devices like extenders, access points and side car routers can sometimes cause issues with how devices are reporting in xFi. 

Some of these third-party devices create virtual MAC addresses for devices as they connect to your network through this connection point. The new virtual MAC addresses can trigger a "new" device showing up in xFi. 

To determine if this could be causing the devices in your xFi list to appear, I would suggest removing all extenders/access points/repeaters/side car routers  from your network for a period of time and see if the behavior stops. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

@ComcastBrittany  I raised this issue (see top of the thread) which was apparently a known issue, but my network does/did not include any third-party devices such as extenders, routers, repeaters or access points. It's been a while since I've gotten these "new device connected" notifications from xFi regarding fictitious devices, but I never received an explanation about why or how this happened.

Regular Visitor

@ComcastBrittany I have had the extender for over a year now and no problems. I will try but dont think it is the issue. There is a device called Arrisgro that has shown up and stayed connected unlike the other devices. The new devices havent been popping up as much but now the wifi has been slow or completely doesnt work at times. Also I have two playstation 4's that can connect to the wifi but do not let me use any network features. Ive had no problems with the wifi/playstation until this happened. 

Silver Problem Solver

@BethPope1 wrote:

@ComcastBrittany I have had the extender for over a year now and no problems. I will try but dont think it is the issue. There is a device called Arrisgro that has shown up and stayed connected unlike the other devices. The new devices havent been popping up as much but now the wifi has been slow or completely doesnt work at times. Also I have two playstation 4's that can connect to the wifi but do not let me use any network features. Ive had no problems with the wifi/playstation until this happened. 

Arrisgro is an X1 set-top-box

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Hi- I just received a notification that “A device called CISCO DPC3941T just connected to your home network for the first time.”

The device details say it’s a router. Is this a security issue?
Silver Problem Solver

@Elizabeth59 wrote:
Hi- I just received a notification that “A device called CISCO DPC3941T just connected to your home network for the first time.”

The device details say it’s a router. Is this a security issue?

No that is your Internet modem.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!