Community Forum

xFi connection to Carrier Infinity thermostat

Frequent Visitor

xFi connection to Carrier Infinity thermostat

I recently "upgraded" to Xfinity xFi gateway.  After so called upgrade, my Carrier brand Infinity thermostat would not connect to the separated 2.4gz wireless band.  My previous router did so fine.  Any suggestions?

Official Employee

Re: xFi connection to Carrier Infinity thermostat

Hi have you given the 2.4 and 5GHz networks separate WiFi names and passwords? If not you will only see one WiFi Name and Password even though both bands are broadcasting since your xFi has a combined WiFi name and password. You can check xFi in the Overview section to see if he has one WiFi name and password. Drill down further and check the Network section > Advanced settings to see details about the 2.4 and 5GHz bands. I hope this help you answer your question. If you need anything else please send me a Private Message. Thanks for using our forum!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Hi ComcastDaniella - Thanks for suggestions.  Yes, my newly installed Comcast Gateway has both Wifi bands 2.4 and 5.0 as separate wifi networks.  The thermostat only "sees" the 2.4 band when searching for networks, and still will not connect to it using the shared password for both 2.4 and 5.0 wifi bands.  Rebooting thermostat did not resolve either.  Wondering if Carrier thermostats are not part of the Comcast approved devices population and thus will nto allow connectivity ( I do not have Comcast Home services).  Other 2.4 devices, like older HP printer is able to connect with no problem.

New Poster

I just connected my Carrier Infinity Touch Thermostat to my xFi network with only one minor problem.  I first tried to use the WPS connection method.  it didn't take.  So I typed in my network password and it connected no problem.    I have also logged into myinitfinitytouch.com and verified the connection is working.  

Frequent Visitor

I also tried both the WPS method, as well as the standard searching for wifi network and manually entering in wifi network password, but still was not conecting.  Since the first time this issue came up, it has connected and then dropped about 1-2 hours later.  Not sure why, as the number of wifi devices is not changing or any other known 2.4ghz interferences.  

New Poster

bBmmer...Since connecting mine, literally an hour before I responded to you last, I have not had a single problem.  Have you checked to see the signal strength at the thermostat?  I use an app called Wifi Analyzer that works for me.   Many of my intermittent problems correlated well with areas where Ihad a weak signal.  

Frequent Visitor

Bob522 (and others) - Over the past five days or so, my Carrier thermostat has been able to connect to the Xfinity Gateway (2.4 band only), and has mostly stayed connected, allowing the thermostat to connect to the external Carrier server.  It does seem to drop from Wifi occasionally, but only for a minute or two.  Not entirely sure what occurred that helped the thermostat stay connected (perhaps just time and/or a backed up software update from Carrier?), but it seems to be maintaining the connection to my home wifi.  Thanks to all for your advice and recommendations.

New Poster

Having same issue since switching to xFi. What are the steps to fix this. Thanks!
New Poster

Have you checked your signal strength at the thermostat?
New Poster

I am experiencing the same issue following my Xfinity Gateway "Upgrade" to the XB6 model.

It connected to the Gateway but can't communicate out to the Infinity Carrier site.

Ideas????

Frequent Visitor

G-Man - I spent a few calls to Carrier tech support when I had same issue, and each time they recommended me to re-boot the thermostat simply by touching the screen in a "blank" area and holding for approx 10 seconds.  The screen will reboot.  It should then auto re-connect to your new wifi assuming it maintained the updated passwords for new Gateway, and then should re-connect to Carrier Infinity servers next.  You can tell since it will show theweather forecast icons below room temps on screen.  I must say, it took me a few tries doing and re-doing these steps for the thermostat to maintain wifi and Carrier Infinity server connectivity.  Good luck...

New Poster

Great. I can’t seem to initiate the reboot however using that technique touching the sceen and holding - mine is the infinity touch model see attached photo. Tip on the technique?
6D3D7CC4-EBF7-4D57-93E7-B8F5AFCA0DF6.jpeg
New Poster

Thanks! I will try that. It seems that because of the xfi modem and pods the connection doesn’t work Smiley Sad
Frequent Visitor

ok, my thermostat mode is slightly different model:  SYSTXCCITC01-B 

Not sure about the re-boot sequence for the other type of thermostat, Im afraid.  I really found some good tech help from Carrier at 1 800 CAR-RIER on getting the thermostat reconnected to their server, once the wifi connection was solved with Xfinity.   Anyway, they walked me through reboot and re-connect to Carrier Infinity server.  Too many "..finitys". 

Carrier Infinity thermostat-B.gif

New Poster

Hi. Has anyone else had any luck figuring this out? I can get my Carrier Infinity thermostat to connect to my 2.4Ghz network with no passcode, but as soon as i add a WPA2 password, it no longer connects. I set my 2.4 network to channel 1, 802.11n.

New Poster

Carrier sent me these instructions which I have yet to try...

• Our thermostats are not compatible with router settings that alternate between 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz frequencies. Our thermostats can only connect to the 2.4Ghz frequency.

• Some routers may use an auto scan feature to determine the best channel to connect to. If this happens, it will drop the connection between the thermostat and/or the router. Using a dedicated channel is recommended. 2.4Ghz operates on channels 1-14.

• Wireless security encryption should be set to WPA2 not WPA2 Enterprise. This is the security encryption most compatible with our thermostats.

• Our thermostats feature a Wireless N radio. Some routers may need to switch to a backwards compatibility mode (changing from Wireless AC to N) in order to communicate with our thermostats. Advise the customer to check their router or contact their internet service provider (ISP) to see if this option is available.

• The server works off of an HTML protocol and communicates through port 80 & port 443. If there is no communication to the server but there is a connection to the router, the blockage of these ports may be the issue. To resolve this, the customer will need to contact their ISP.
New Poster

I tried all of those suggestions yesterday. I can now get my thermostat to connect without a password (open) — progress Smiley Happy . But once I set a password (wpa2 is only option on the router setting), it will no longer connect. I don’t want to leave my wireless open without a password all the time. I spent 75 mins on the phone with Comcast yesterday and now they want to send someone to my house.
New Poster

Were you able to get this figured out? I seem to have the same issue. Open it connects, but once a password is added it drops the connection and will not pick it up again
New Poster

SAME issue here! 

My Carrier Infinity Touch will connect to the WiFi just fine, BUT WILL NOT connect to the Carrier Server through the XB6 Comcast XFi router.  

I've spent about 7 hours on this now, talking to several people at Comcast who blame Carrier, talking to Carrier Technical support who blame Comcast, and talking to my Carrier dealer who says that it should be a very straight-forward set up and has never heard of this issue before with other customers.  

I have received the trouble-shooting PDF from Carrier and made sure all of the recommended settings are correct.  I've verified those settings with Comcast.  Still... no connection to the Carrier Server.  

Now, the thermostat WILL connect fully to the wifi AND the server if I use my Verizon MiFI, but clearly I don't want to keep doing that, I want to use my home wifi that I'm paying comcast for.  But, this does indicate that it is certainly an issue with Comcast and/or the Comcast router.  

The last thing I was told by Carrier Tech Support is that they've never heard of this issue and that I should call my Carrier Dealer and request a TP Link Router, which I just did.  My dealer says that the TP Link Router doesn't apply to this Infinity Touch Router.  

HELP!  Smiley Happy 

New Poster

SAME eaxct issue in both my homes with Comcast service after Gateway "upgrade". Spent 1200 dollars on 2 Carrier thermostats for nothing? Thanks, Comcast!