Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

xFi Port Forwarding Troubleshooting

Official Employee

xFi Port Forwarding Troubleshooting

We apologize for the ongoing issues that customers are experiencing with the port forwarding feature in xFi. The team is working diligently on getting these issues resolved.

If you’re having problems with port forwarding, please review the questions below, which may help to resolve your issue.

Is your device currently connected to your home network?

If the device is not currently connected to your home network, adding a port forward may not work. Try connecting your device to your home network and then setting up the desired port forward. Connecting to your network first will ensure the device has a valid DHCP address within the DHCP range for port forwarding.

Are port forwards you previously set up not appearing in xFi? When attempting to set up a port forward, are you receiving a message that we’re having some trouble, or that the port you are trying to set up already exists?  

If you have previously set up a port forward but it is not appearing in xFi, or when attempting to set up a port forward, you are receiving a message that we’re having some trouble, or that the port already exists, editing your LAN settings may resolve the issue. This will clear any pre-existing port forwards that may not be appearing in xFi but are causing issues, and should allow you to successfully set up new port forwards. Any small adjustment made to your LAN settings should be enough to clear existing port forwards. Once the changes have been applied, you can immediately change the settings back to the previous if desired.  Once completed, try setting up your port forwards as desired. .  

Have your LAN settings recently changed?

If you changed your LAN settings, port forwards you previously set up will no longer work. You will need to set up your port forwards again.

Does the device you’re attempting to set up a port forward for have an IPv6 address?

xFi does not currently allow you to set up port forward for devices that have an IPv6 address since port forwarding should not be needed for these devices.  If the device is dual stack (has both an IPv4 and IPv6 address) the IP recognized by xFi depends on which address your device defaults to. Port forwarding can only be configured in xFi if the device is using the IPv4 address.

Accepted Solutions
New Poster

Re: xFi Port Forwarding Troubleshooting

This actually worked for me, I came here ready to complain that I too have this issue.  I had an old port forwarding rule that I could not update or delete.  I followed the advice to update a LAN setting (I updated my DHCP scope), I didn't actually make any changes, but hit apply after toggling the DHCP scope settings, it warned me that my existing Port Forwarding rules would be reset.  I accepted, and that fixed my issue.  I can now add new Port Forwarding rules and edit them.  So I am happy now  Smiley Happy 

All Replies
New Poster

Um so what you guys are saying You set this up without testing first and have no clue why it is not working. These troubleshooting steps are an insult to those who port forward as we are more than basic computer internet users. How about roll back the update and ACTUALLY Test the product and roll out after testing. Amazing idea product development.

New Poster

I've had issue with port forwarding that was working before but ever since you introduced this new feature I get no port forwarding. I have worked with your tech support on getting anything done and I was told to buy my own router and use that to port forward. What a joke!!!  All the steps that was mentioned here to troubleshoot the port forwarding table DO NOT WORK!!! This needs to be fixed or give us a credit enough to buy a new router!!

New Poster

I most definately agree with this response. I have had no issues with port forwarding until YOUR techician came out to troubleshoot another issue (as well unresolved to this point

) and performed an update to the modem. Your web app is broken and will not allow port forwarding, with no direct access to the modem. I rely on the forwarding to enable remote viewing of my security system as my wife is disabled and I monitor our home while at work. I REALLY regret switching to Comcast, and will be requesting a refund or being let out of my contract due to not delivering a usable product... truly patheic tech support as well.

New Poster

after beating my head against the wall for a couple of weeks and several calls to Comcast I think I may have stumbled upon a fix...

In the 10.0.0.1 router managment, under Connected Devices...change the device from DHCP to Reserved IP.  You may have to change your DHCP range before you can change it.

Once I changed it to Reserved IP, I was able to add port forwarding from the web app.  Hope this helps.

New Poster

Please add me to the list of frustrated port forwarding users.

My gateway: TG1682G eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:10.1.11.SIP.PC20.CT

There is no gateway configuration under Advanced/Port Forwarding; instead the web interface redirects to the external xFi page where numerous configuration problems have been well documented in this topic.  (This is different behavior from what I encountered using a DPC3941T gateway using a different account a few weeks ago.)

After spending several hours trying to figure out why port forwarding was not working, I consulted the Troubleshooting/System log AND FOUND NO RECORD OF MY PORT FORWARDING CONFIGURATION!  Completely and totally unacceptable.

I deleted and re-entered the forwarding using xFi - this time getting a confirming notification in the gateway log - but there is still no evidence of any port data being forwarded.   Both ipv4 and ipv6 firewalls were temporarily disabled.

I noticed some users here reported their port forwarding problem was "fixed" when they replaced their gateway.  

What exactly is the problem with port forwarding?

New Poster

I bought my own Arris/Motorola router.  From Wal-Mart.   Cost less than a year of modem rentals.

I can see why Comcast would like to manage port forwarding with a web app.  Unfortunately my experience is that it simply doesn't work.

On top of this, Comcast's decision to disable router configuration in firmware and replace it with a problematic Web interface restricts the usability of the router and thereby decreases the value of the product.  

My advice - which is supported by other users in these forms - is that if you intend to do anything out of the ordinary with your home network that you invest in your own equipment.

Comcast may have great expectations for xFi, but the product is not there yet and from what I've seen so far may never be.

New Poster

This actually worked for me, I came here ready to complain that I too have this issue.  I had an old port forwarding rule that I could not update or delete.  I followed the advice to update a LAN setting (I updated my DHCP scope), I didn't actually make any changes, but hit apply after toggling the DHCP scope settings, it warned me that my existing Port Forwarding rules would be reset.  I accepted, and that fixed my issue.  I can now add new Port Forwarding rules and edit them.  So I am happy now  Smiley Happy 

New Poster

New Poster

After wasting hours trying to port forward using the xFi web interface imposed by TG1682G gateway firmware, I bought an Arris SBG6700-AC from Wal-Mart ($99).

I was able to get VPN port forwarding working with my first attempt at configuration, say 5 minutes.

This experience reinforces my belief that port forwarding using the the xFi web interface on the TG1682G DOES NOT WORK.

If you have the Xfinity TG1682G gateway and want to do port forwarding, my advice is don't waste your time.  

New Poster

Brittany:

I just received a new TG1682G gateway and set it up with no problem.  All of my forwarded ports are properly displayed, but NONE of them works.  In fact, if I try to reach my web server via my dynamic DNS listing, it takes me to remote administration of the gateway.  NOT very secure, I must say.

I HAVE tried the "tweaking" of LAN settings that you suggest in your post (which DID result in the deletion of the port forwardingt entries), but after re-entering them they still do not forward.

This is really an unacceptable disruption of service.  Is there an ACTUAL fix in the works, two months after your most recent posting here, or should I just revert back to my old gateway? Or, maybe just buy myself an ARRIS DOCSIS device and stop paying rent for systems that don't work?

Official Employee

@jdozeran, can you pease send me a PM verifying your service address/ZIP and I can have the team look into these ports. 

New Poster

I am having the exact same issues as @jdozeran, and it is extremely frustrating.  My network administrator friend and I have tried literally everything.  The port forwarding appear correct on the web application, but the ports are closed per any port checking tool.  Why, why, why did Comcast go to a web interface for advanced router tools?  Really frustrated that I have to potentially buy a new router because Comcast decided to arbitrarily break one of my most-used tools.  There was nothing wrong with it before!

New Poster

I was getting the same message.  After a while I found out that the problem in my case was the machine was trying to port forward had a static IP set outside the DHCP range in the gateway.  On the other routers I've used I lower the DHCP range down from 255 to 200 - leaving me 55 IP addresses I can set statically without worrying about the Gateway trying to assign the IP to someone else.  As near as I can tell either the web based software Comcast is using must reference the DHCP range to "find" the machine or it requires the machine to be "Reserved".  So it fails with the error message that started this post list.

The machine I was trying to port forward was address 201 and the Gateway obviously wouldn't allow me to reserve an IP outside its range.  I changed the Comcast Gateway to do DHCP to 201 rather than 200 set the machine address to "Reserved", rebooted the Gateway and it works fine.  

Regular Visitor

I take it you never could come up with a fix. It's been 3 months since the original post and port forwarding still doesn't work.

Regular Visitor

Did not work for me.   This has been going on for months.    Must have the worst developers ever at Comcast.

Regular Visitor

When if ever will you have a fix Brittany?  Please don't BS us we need to know so we can get our devices working!

Expert

@TAL6 wrote:

When if ever will you have a fix Brittany?  Please don't BS us we need to know so we can get our devices working!

Try a PM to Brittany.

New Poster

Changing my LAN setup warned me of the loss of port forwarding as I was changing my DHCP scope.  I accepted but the port forwards were still there.  In addition, the problem I have of adding the same port forward to more than one device (SSL 2078) fails ("Try Again").  Not sure how to get SSL enabled on more than one device with this problem.

Regular Visitor

Thanks!  I just sent one.  Now to see if I get a response.

Frequent Visitor

My setup requires port forwarding to support SSH from outside systems.  Until recently, this worked with no problems.  Now, I cannot re-establish port forwarding -- I always get the "Please try again. If the problem persists, check back later." message.

I have tried the various suggestions given here, including fiddling with DHCP scope.  I did receive the warning about port forwardings to be cleared.  But I still cannot get past the Please Try Again. message

Apparently this has been going on for months, and there has been no effective "diligent" response from Comcast. Sad!

Tags (1)
New Poster

I don't know if this will work for you but it did for me after hours of trouble shooting and a modem reset which only worked temporarily until firewall settings were changed to high again. Check to see via 10.0.0.1 in your Comcast router if your firewall settings are set to high(max) . Lower them to moderate and retry port forwarding in the app. Hope this helps!
Frequent Visitor

wrote:
I don't know if this will work for you but it did for me after hours of trouble shooting and a modem reset which only worked temporarily until firewall settings were changed to high again. Check to see via 10.0.0.1 in your Comcast router if your firewall settings are set to high(max) . Lower them to moderate and retry port forwarding in the app. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the suggestion.  Actually, I "solved" my problem by setting the xFi gateway to passthrough mode.  I'm now happily working with an Asus RT-N66U router (with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware) that gives me much more flexibility for local networking.  This bypasses all of Comcast's efforts to split management between the cloud and the local gateway -- which seem to have been the source of my recent problems.

New Poster

@ComcastDaniella

Are port forwards you previously set up not appearing in xFi? When attempting to set up a port forward, are you receiving a message that we’re having some trouble, or that the port you are trying to set up already exists?  

If you have previously set up a port forward but it is not appearing in xFi, or when attempting to set up a port forward, you are receiving a message that we’re having some trouble, or that the port already exists, editing your LAN settings may resolve the issue. This will clear any pre-existing port forwards that may not be appearing in xFi but are causing issues, and should allow you to successfully set up new port forwards. Any small adjustment made to your LAN settings should be enough to clear existing port forwards. Once the changes have been applied, you can immediately change the settings back to the previous if desired.  Once completed, try setting up your port forwards as desired. .  

My port forwarding rules are showing up but they are not working.

If I try to change them I get the message that   we’re having some trouble

If I try to change my LAN settings I get the same message 

We're Having Some Trouble

Please try again. If the problem persists, check back later.

Well, I'm having some trouble because I can't get this BASIC function to work at all.   VERY FRUSTRATING to a user with new service. 

New Poster

I finally got it to work! (I tried fiddling with the LAN, as suggested, but that accomplished nothing.)
For me, there were 2 possible problems:

1. The computer was reserved as 5G, but the computer itself would sometimes fallback to 2.4G, and when it did it showed up as offline in 10.0.0.1.

2. I had a port triggering active on the port I was trying to forward (from a previous attempt to bypass the need to forward). So I deleted the triggering and disabled triggering.

Then, finally, internet.xfinity.com/network/advanced-settings/portforwarding worked!

Note: if your computer has an ipv6, that might work as a way for other computers on other networks to talk to yours, even without port forwarding. Try giving them your ipv6 directly instead of an ipv4. (Google "what's my ip" to find it.)

New Poster

add me to the list of people who needs this fixed asap. Comcast is no longer for the power user, we all seem to know what we are doing when we get inside our routers but, simply, cannot do it because.........well lets be honest, it's broken. I also no longer have the option to get my own router to bypass this as i use their "pods" which only work with an xFi gateway.

New Poster

Add me to the list also.

I came here looking for help; I also am not able to open ports on my Xfinity gateway for my security cameras. 

First, I accessed the gateway through the admin login.  I followed the instructions to "enable" port forwarding and then set up the ports I needed.  Verifying them using one of the online tools showed they were NOT opened. 

Next, I downloaded the Xfi app.  Tried using it and got the "somethings wrong try again message".  (BTW - the ports I had set up through the gateway admin login did NOT show up in the Xfi app).  Unbeknownst to me, my usage of the Xfi app also locked me out of being able to go back and modify the port forwarding settings through the gateway admin tool. 

After much wasted time I finally tried forwarding different port #'s (8080 & 37754) and - according to my Xfi app - they are open.  However, using one of the online tools shows that they are NOT opened.

A chat with Comcast help was a total waste of time.  Instead of listening and helping I was sent useless instructions to follow that I already had in my hands.

Is there a fix for this issue?

New Poster

Your solution worked for me once, im trying to port forward a PC meant to be a server and once again its not working. Please give instructions on rolling back the firmware. The xFi web interface and app are beyond useless, and you cant treat your loyal customers like this.

Expert

@Triumphant63 wrote:

Your solution worked for me once, im trying to port forward a PC meant to be a server and once again its not working. Please give instructions on rolling back the firmware. The xFi web interface and app are beyond useless, and you cant treat your loyal customers like this.

The firmware cannot be "rolled back".

New Poster

What do you mean if I changed the lan settings? All I did was replace my old comcast modem with the latest and now I can not access various port via my public IP address.
Official Employee

Hi Rick82 I can assist you. So that I can take a look at your account, please send me a private message and include your full name and account primary phone number. Please click on my name to see my profile, and then hit the blue "Send Message" button.

Regular Visitor

I also have had issues with port forwarding since day one.  My issue is I have a Synology NAS detected by my network but for some reason the XB6 thinks its always not connected but it is in fact connected all the time.  The crazy part is it doesn't show up in the list of devices for port forwarding so I can't assign it any port forwards.  I have about 5 other devices that are hardwired and already connected to the network but always show as not connected as well.  I have called at least 4 times and talked to 2 onsite techs and got no help.  I have tried everything I know and have had no success.  Ugh....

New Poster

I finally figured this out.  The trick is to expand your DHCP range to cover the IP address you are trying to forward to (in my case my DHCP range was from .100 to .250, but the device I was forwarding to was at .77).    Once you do this, you can add your port forwarding and then set your DHCP range back to what it should be.

1) Go to your Xfinity xFi webpage, click on Network, Advanced Settings, LAN & WAN, and edit to set your DHCP range to cover your static IP device. 

2) Click Back and then click Port Forwarding and add your port(s)

3) Repeat step 1 to reset your DHCP range to the original values.

Keith