Community Forum

xFi Port Forwarding Troubleshooting

Regular Contributor

Re: xFi Port Forwarding Troubleshooting

I did not have a chance to try all my xbox's yet. I got home late last night. I will try today. I do know my son said his xbox had an open nat on the 5GHz wireless signal without port fowarding yesterday. That is the one I did get to port foward the first time so maybe the settings are in place still but not showing I'm not sure since the xb6 was changed for another yesterday.

Official Employee

We have recently made several improvements to the Port Forwarding experience in xFi, including better management of existing port forwards and enhanced error messaging.  You can find more information here.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I had no issues with the old port forwarding until you changed to xFi.
Now my port forwarding is sporadic. There is atleast a 6-8 hr period during the day that it does not port forward. I have verified all my settings and they are set up correctly. This just started happening in the past few days.
Why???
Regular Contributor

I tried again tonight and i can only port forward one device at any given time. Now on my sons xbox it wont even give me open nat anymore just moderate. Awful! Also i have UPnP enabled and zero config and that wont even work for stacked IP4 and IP6. Nothing is fixed on comcast's end. Oh by the way still only getting 250mbs speed on hard wired modem to computer. Jeez

New Poster

Folks on this forum,

I have spent 25+ hours on the phone with Tier 1, 2 and 3 dealing with port forwarding after getting one of Comcast's new modems (1 GB unit).  As I have read; Comcast made a BIG mistake by forcing web interface ONLY port forwarding.

You can NOT get to TIER 3 without going through offshore first.  Once you get to TIER 3 in the US all you get is an tech person that can NOT fix it either but they ARE aware of the issues; they will open a ticket with their EXTERNAL ENGINEERS to address it (put in a LONG queue).  Whenver you get a TIER 3 person on the phone; get their extension and email address.  Make sure it's a US TIER 3 person though.

Here's what worked for me:

Open your DHCP range to the entire range (i.e. 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.253) even though you may have STATIC IP's assigned on your network.

Reboot modem and set the port forwardings . . .  some devices will still NOT show up which is my current issue because i have devices that do NOT send traffic out (ie. load balancers).

<Edited for violating forum guidelines>

You can also send your frastration through Comcast Facebook page; there is an online CHAT that allows you to chat with someone (more of a routing of the issue).  I did this first then sent the email to the VP above (double exposure).

Have your ticket numbers available to communicate to them.

Best, 

From CTO in Chicagoland

Regular Contributor

I'm done with beta testing the xb6. I reconnected my Asus RT-AC1900P and put the xb6 in bridge mode. WOW! All 4 of my xboxs have open nat and all on at the same time! No need to port foward anything becuase UPnP works on the Asus unlike the xb6 router! Still not getting close to 1gb speed hardwired into the xb6 directly or my asus router. Looks like it will never be that fast. After 2 tech visits and 4 hours of their time and mine plus another 2 hours on the phone I'm done. Thanks Comcast. Goodluck everyone lmao!!!!!

New Poster

I spent the better part of 4 hours on the phone today trying to get this issue fixed, which is completely ridiculous. Port forwarding is easy to use on just about any other hardware, I'm really not sure why Comcast decided to go this route and break it. I was first told that I needed to contact the manufacturer of my Raspberry Pi to ask them if they required any additional open ports. Anyone who is familiar with Raspberry Pi will already be rolling their eyes at that. So I told them that in addition to port 80 not forwarding to my Pi, port 8080 was also not forwarding to my laptop. Both devices were getting local requests just fine. Both devices' logs showed no incoming requests when tested from an external network. "Well, the ports are open" is what I was told by the LEVEL 3 TECH who apparently was ready to toss his hands in the air. Now I'm told I can go ask for an XB3 modem which may or may not help...

My question is why was I given broken hardware to begin with, and then told by so many people in tech support that it's a device issue, which coincidentally, every single device I try to set up with any given port being forwarded encounters the same issue. And looking at how long this thread has been going, I'm appalled that this just seems to be par for the course.

Regular Contributor

Do yourself a favor and put the xb6 in bridge mode and use your own router.
Regular Contributor

A rep contacted me on this finally so thank you. I gave up on it becuase I should not need to port forward to begin with since UPnP is enabled. I hooked up my Asus router and everything is working fine. Thank you to the comcast rep who reached out.

New Poster

SO i understand about not having the need for port forwarding on IPv6 vs IPv4 but you still need to have the port open correct.  The device I am trying to use is IPv6 and needs port 443 and that port is blocked on my modem and Xfinity will not open it.

Highly frustrating.

New Poster

Can't get Port Forwarding to work, despite changing to XB6 today.

Using XFi app, can get all the ports to APPEAR forwarded, but testing them on any of a multiple of websites that check port status, all the ports that are SUPPOSED to be open are in fact CLOSED.

Tempted to get an SB8200, and simply drop my VOIP, so I can get the robust Port Forwarding controls I need.

I've tried EVERYTHING on this forum and the xfinity article about it. No luck.

Regular Contributor

If UPnP just worked I wouldn’t need port forwarding. Eventually just put the xb6 in bridge mode and use my own router to get everything working as normal.
New Poster

@RDarcy

You're using VOIP as well?

I ordered a new Router (Linksys WRT3200AC), but am trying to envision how to set it up.

Before touching the hardware, configure the XB6.

Go to 10.0.0.1. Login. Under Gateway>At A Glance, click ENABLE BRIDGE MODE. Then hardware...

Hardware: Cable to XB6. Ethernet out from XB6 to Linksys WAN port. Keep telephone jacks in on back of XB6.

Hopefully VOIP works there. But unsure how to set IP address of XB6. Does it default to 10.0.0.1? Or will it get assigned DHCP like anything else? Then how can I Static IP assign it?

The joys of networking. I'll figure it out. Smiley Happy

New Poster

Re: xFi Port Forwarding Troubleshooting - HIK Vision DVR

From: NCOE Adv Rep Customer Support [NCOE_AdvRepCustomerSupport@comcast.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 4, 2018 11:23 AM
To: Mr. Wiseman
Subject: HIKVision DVR Port Forwarding

Hello,

Thank you for the information.

Engineering got back to me and has confirmed this is a bug that is a verified issue with our device. Our teams are working with Arris to correct this behavior. There is currently no ETA on a fix at this time, but I will monitor the bug ticket to see how it progresses.

Knowing this won’t be fixed for some time, how would you like to proceed?

Thank you,

Paul Deyarmin| Priority Customer Outreach Team

Regular Contributor

I don’t use the phone on the xb6. Just internet connected.
New Poster

I just spent 45 minutes chatting with Shagufta. We went round and round. In the end, Shagufta said he/she would escalate. Don't you think Shagufta would have been able to access the fact that this is a known issue? That's 45 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Official Employee

Hi @whitel,  we are sorry that some of our customers are experiencing this issue. We are working to get it resolved and will provide updates as soon as possible.

In the meantime, we can escalate these issues to our support team so they can run through troubleshooting steps and making sure everything is in sync on the backend. 

Would you be able to PM me the First & Last name of the account holder, with the billing zip code for verification? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Port forwarding does not open the port that is configured on TG1682G Router using admin tool, or using myxFi tool.

Besides, myxFi receives an error when removing port forwarding.

My Router product type is XB3, and modem download version is 10.0.27B.SIPPC20.CT

Can someone tell me what the solution is other than getting my own router ?

Thanks

Regular Visitor

Hi 

Didyou get any fix on this issue ?   I am having the same problem (unable to open the port) since we received a new router from comcast for a house we moved in lately.

Thanks for your reply in advance

New Poster

When I first got my modem, port forwarding was a setting on the modem itself. Now it says I have to configure it on XFi? Why? I would rather configure everything on the modem right there! You guys need to change this. I don't rent a box for $11 a month just to have to configure it over the Internet.

Regular Visitor

Hi EddyR,

I am a user myself as you are.  Did you mean to send a reply to Comcast Support?

I am still having issues with port forwarding, and xfi app does not delete any port forwarding. and port forwarding configuration via admin tool (10.0.0.1) has been redirected to xfi app which is not working,

Spent numerous time explaining my problem with 2nd tier supports who do not have much experience or knowledge, and no one seems to care to find a solution.

I was able to access my camera via port forwarding until we moved to a new house, and  we received new arris gateway from Comcast.  It is not like I do not know how to configure port forwarding.   I can access my camera directly but not through port forwarding feature.

I found an online site which tells if ports are open or not - https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

This tool also knows your WAN IP address.

Lots of articles in the forum do not apply to my case, and my port forwarding is still not working

Did you get your port forwarding working??   If so, HOW ?  Xfi is not worth as you said.

I do not know where to go at this point other than buying my own router.

New Poster

After more than 2 hours on the phone with Tech Support -- who promised they would escalate and get back to me but never did -- I got my own cable/modem router (NetGear Nighthawk AC1900) . Everything is working again. I was able to set up port forwarding on two ports for RDP/VPN.

Comcast/Xfinity is fine until you need qualified tech support. 

New Poster

I am moving to ULTRA TV and Comcast gave me new router and tuner. Eerything went well until I tried port forwardig. Put the port forward in using commands on the router. All seemed to go well, but port forward did not work. Been reading the blog and tried xFi app. Could not add the port forward because the system said it was already there. Tried to delete if but kept getting error that it could not delete it. Went back to enter commands directly to the router and the port forward did not show. So it shows with xFi but not on the router. No way to get rid of it and it does not work. Maybe I should go back to old comcast router because it worked there. I have not given old router back yet and have 30 days before they charge me for it. Then I will have bought an old one and paying monthly for a new one that doesnt work. I am a user for 36 years. What is wrong with this company.

New Poster

Did not work for me.  Already had it set to Reserved.

This if very frustrating.  I have an Owncloud server set up which works perfectly on my local network, but I when I go out of town I would like to be able to access my files.  I am using an alternative port (not 80) to keep random web access out.  Portforwarding no longer passes from the modem to the router - even if I use a VPN.

New Poster

UPDATE:  I found that if I plug the server directly into the modem AND use a VPN I can still connect to the server.  Without VPN=nope.  Modem is not forwarding to my router (yes, I verified the IP of my router).

New Poster

Amazing! It's now 2019. Port forwarding is still broken.

New Poster

I can not find the pm button on your profile anywhere. I can not port forward. I read through this entire thread and tried everyones methods. Everything seems fine, I can add the port forward exception to my router, but when i scan my ports manually with https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 they show up as stealth. When i scan with zenmap a client based network scanner the ports are closed. 

Silver Problem Solver

@hndflkids wrote:

I can not find the pm button on your profile anywhere. I can not port forward. I read through this entire thread and tried everyones methods. Everything seems fine, I can add the port forward exception to my router, but when i scan my ports manually with https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 they show up as stealth. When i scan with zenmap a client based network scanner the ports are closed. 

The Send a Message link is on the right side; some people can't see it so you have to mouse around until you see it.Send a message-3.jpb.jpg

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

@hndflkids, if you would like to send me a private message with the MAC address of the device you are trying to port forward, I would be happy to escalate a ticket and have the team dig into it for you. 

@liqiang@Doulos, we would be happy to take a look into the issues you are experiencing as well. Feel free to send me a private message with some details and I can have the team dig into these issues. 

To send a private message, please click on my name "ComcastBrittany" and then the blue Send a Message button. 

Thanks!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Help me! I've tried calling Comcast and I've tried chat support. I get the run-around on port fowarding. My dedicted server is ueseless.

New Poster

(sigh)

Ok, SO I've completely disabled IPv6 on my Surface Hub Ethernet port.  This is directly connected to the network.  This silly interface STILL refuses to see the Hub as a viable option for port forwarding.

Why the flarg can't I manually enter an IP address?? 

(I'm calm.. I'm calm..)

Seriously though: With IPv6 shut down, what else can I do to get XFi recognize my Surface Hub as a viable option for Port Forwarding?

And yes: I tried everything else here. 

New Poster

Thanks for the almost fix.....I have 4 computers on my local network I want to all have concurrent IP addresses so I can work on a Remote Desktop setup for a client.

If I change the IP to static on any machine and try to change the Port Forwarding the Modem ONLY remembers the Old IP address and refuses to associate the port forwarding to the NEW Ip address.

So I had one machine that was 192.168.0.155 with port forwarded to 3389

If I change the IP of the machine to 192.168.0.134 and try to open Port 3389 for it I get a message that it is successful (Assuming the machine shows in the list at all) If I log back in the NEW Port Forward now says "Unassiciated Machine" 192.168.0.155 (Which by the way is now a open IP (no machine on that IP at all) and Port 3389 is open on an IP that isnt being used.

Ah the old days before Comcast "simplified" this when you could simply open the Modem, go to Port Forwarding and open the ports for any IP address you wanted. Those were the good old days.

Somehow the Comcast software is caching the IP and the name of the PC together and is unable to unlink them if any changes are made.

New Poster

Same issue with Cisco 

Model Name
DPC3941T
Vendor
Cisco

I am going to have to purchase a new Modem just to do SIMPLE PORT FORWARDING
Regular Visitor

I only set up ports for my desktop, wich is connected via a cable. When we fisrt got your newwork set up I was able to use the app to set up a port for my PC. A month later I go to set up a new port and I can't select my PC. I can't even select my phone. The only devives that are showing up are my familly members devices. I fail to understand how new technology is making this process harder.....

Official Employee

lylestnt, thanks for posting about your issues with port forwarding via xFi! I'm happy to help. Please send me a private message with your full name for help. Just click my name and then on the next page, you'll see an option to send me a private message on the top right hand side.  

Regular Visitor

Hi,

I'm having the same problem as everyone else - can't port forward with my new Xfi gateway - but before I do anything else, like buy my own modem/router, or go into bridge mode and a new router, I want to make sure I'm not missing something.  Never had a problem with my previous set up.   I'm relatively good with this sorta stuff.

I'm running Plex on my Mac which has dual stack (IPv6, which cannot be completely turned off - I've looked).  

I've disabled IPv6 but when I look underneath the hood of the router, an IPv6 address still shows up in my list of devices (while, for instance, no IPv6 address is listed for DirecTV box).

And therefore, my Mac doesn't show up in the Xfi app of devices I'm able to port forward.

So basically, because of this on the FAQ under 'advanced settings':

Currently, xFi only allows port forwards to be set up for devices that are connected to your home network and use an IPv4 address.

...I can't port forward to Plex and I'm using DMZ (which is working but I'm reading that's not ideal for security) to make sure my Plex remote access is available.

Long story short, haha (too late)  - is there anything I can do or do I go the bridge/new router or new modem/router...route.

Thanks.

Official Employee

chic65, I'd be happy to look into your port forward issues and get you in contact with our xFi team if necessary. Please send me a private message with your full name for help. Just click my name and then on the next page, you'll see an option to send me a private message on the top right hand side.  

Regular Visitor

So I got this sorted (the IPv6 problem) - if you're on a Mac and trying to use Plex remote access and the XFi app or web portal is not recognizing the Mac to allow you to port forward.  But the key here is to disable IPv6.

To turn off IPv6:

http://www.choibles.com/revert-mac-to-ipv4/ic

Then, set a static IP:

http://www.macinstruct.com/node/550

REBOOT both Mac and XFi gateway, and voila, the XFi app or portal will recognize the MacBook.

So psyched, it was really pretty simple. The REBOOT was the key, probably obvious...but...

Official Employee

chic65, glad that worked for you! Agreed, the key is disabling ipv6 and rebooting! Glad that worked for ya and a few others! Smiley Happy

New Poster

So, you guys make a web interface that doesnt allow ipv6 when the router interface worked just fine. Fixing something that wasnt broken to begin with. In turn, I have to work around Xfinity so my device shows in the port forwarding menu. Disable ipv6 on my server just to port forward it. <Edited>. Just leave stuff the way it is for once and stop messing with stuff you obviously dont know how to fix.

Official Employee

Paradoxical1, apologies for the frustrations and inconvenience. xFi is not a mandatory experience. You can reset your modem to disable wiFi or use your modem while in bridge mode. 

Ken