Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

xFi Pods Speed

New Poster

xFi Pods Speed

Can anyone advise what kind of wireless speeds they are seeing with the xFi Pods connected to a Gigabit service.  Thanks. 

New Poster

Re: xFi Pods Speed

Currently they are horrible here on the North Shore of MA.  The tech know nothing about them.  The MESH does not seem to fuction as advertised.  They cause my gateway to recycle.  If they go down, you have to manually turn off your wifi on you device and restart.  And you may be online, but not connect to internet.  Some techs tell you you need the 5gz and 2 ghz running separately, but this goes against how the xFi app makes you set up the system.

I have $200's worth of wall plugs, that are more of a pain, then a help.

I have the pods since Dec 27 or so.  2 Tech visits, numerous phone calls, and no resolution.  I only have the 200mbps service, but some pods slow it down to 20mbps in places I had 40-80 before.

Xfinity needs to do something to support them.   The concept is good, but I have yet to see it really work like a MESH...   It is more like mush....

New Poster

I am having the same issue , spped is actually better in some spots without them . so far waste of money....

Official Employee

chris_guay, xFi pods are meant to eliminate dead spots in your home and not necessarily to boost your speed. As with any WiFi extender, router, or other WiFi piggyback system, you may see differences in speeds as the devices are further from the central modem. 

KenF

Expert

@ComcastKenF wrote:

chris_guay, xFi pods are meant to eliminate dead spots in your home and not necessarily to boost your speed. As with any WiFi extender, router, or other WiFi piggyback system, you may see differences in speeds as the devices are further from the central modem. 

KenF

Is that true if I buy six Pods and put one in each room of my small home?  I thought mesh worked better than extenders.

Official Employee

RobertWy, what do you mean exactly? Is it true it won't boost the speed in your situation? 

KenF

Expert

@ComcastKenF wrote:

RobertWy, what do you mean exactly? Is it true it won't boost the speed in your situation? 

KenF

I have spent a lot of money over the last few years trying to improve my wifi performance and availability.  I tried extenders and AC1900 routers connected with ethernet to my gateway and none really geve me wifi coverate througout my home.

Since xIfi pods aren't available in the Houstom market, I chose to go with a tri-band mesh product.  Now I have a good wifi signal througout my home and my four adult children don't complain when they bring their Android and Apple wifi devices with them.  We have smart TV's and wifi audio components and xFi has remided me that we have household wifi devices.  I need wifi everywhere.

Did I misunderdand your question?

Official Employee

RobertWy, thanks for the details but I think it was I who misunderstood your question. 

I didn't know what you meant by: Is that true if I buy six Pods and put one in each room of my small home?

Glad the mesh network works well for you.