Community Forum

xFi Pods - Many devices still connecting to gateway

Regular Visitor

xFi Pods - Many devices still connecting to gateway

I have had them up and running 24 hours now but note most of my devices are connecting to the gateway instead of the much closer pod.  I'm wondering if this is something that sorts itself over time? I spoke to someone at the xfinity store who told me, and I quote "it's fine as long as it connects to the gateway." That doesn't make sense if the pod can provide a closer, faster, more reliable connection.

Regular Visitor

Re: xFi Pods - Many devices still connecting to gateway

For example... I have a pod in the basement. It has done a good job bringing coverage and speed to the room from <10mbps to 80-90 mbps. Here's the problem, my wireless comcast box doesn't always connect to the basement pod. Sometimes it does (good!) and sometimes it tries to connect to the gateway upstairs (bad! faint signal). There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as to how devices connect. I'm hoping this is a temporary thing.

the whole reason I got comcast pods was because the comcast wireless box will only talk with the pods - not with a google mesh system, for example. Right now these aren't doing what they're supposed to do.

Silver Problem Solver

@apa90210 wrote:

For example... I have a pod in the basement. It has done a good job bringing coverage and speed to the room from <10mbps to 80-90 mbps. Here's the problem, my wireless comcast box doesn't always connect to the basement pod. Sometimes it does (good!) and sometimes it tries to connect to the gateway upstairs (bad! faint signal). There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as to how devices connect. I'm hoping this is a temporary thing.

the whole reason I got comcast pods was because the comcast wireless box will only talk with the pods - not with a google mesh system, for example. Right now these aren't doing what they're supposed to do.

Did you read this?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfi-pods-faqs

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

Yes, I have, but it makes no sense to me. If the basement pod has no other device connected to it, and the basement pod right next to the basement TV is offering 7x the speed, why would it elect to connect to an inferior access point upstairs?