Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

xFi Parental controls not working... Bedtime & Pause not working

Regular Visitor

xFi Parental controls not working... Bedtime & Pause not working

Hey there guys. I'm aware that there are some issues with Bedtime & Pause not working. I am reporting here that this is an issue for me too.

I have the kid's devices added and bedtime mode applied. Not working. I tested my iPad and paused the device - no luck. This has been an issue for months now and has never worked.

Reaching out to support for help. We are using a TG1682G modem. My attempts to resolve the issue have been to restart the modem, reset the wifi via 10.0.0.1 and then import settings from the register.xfinity.com during activation. Modem works great otherwise. 

Accepted Solutions
Regular Visitor

Re: xFi Parental controls not working... Bedtime & Pause not working

No one contacted me but i did fix it. I suggest you remove all devices and profiles from xfi. After that, do a complete reset on the modem. I did that via 10.0.0.1. Then, reactivate the modem and add devices to their profile. After doing that the bedtime and pause features worked.

All Replies
Contributor

Anyone from Comcast ever get back to you on this?

All I see are thread after thread with this issue and all the techs do is take the issue offline/private.

HOW ABOUT SOME USEFUL INFO SO WE CAN SELF HELP.

GEez.

Regular Visitor

No one contacted me but i did fix it. I suggest you remove all devices and profiles from xfi. After that, do a complete reset on the modem. I did that via 10.0.0.1. Then, reactivate the modem and add devices to their profile. After doing that the bedtime and pause features worked.
Contributor

Nickileemiller wrote:

Can you clarify exactly what you did? Did you set ANYTHING up on the gateway using 10.0.0.1?  Or was it all thru xfi?

I have 20 or so devices on my WIFI and I dont want to have to rekey everything.

How did you "delete all devices and profiles from xfi"?

When you did the factory reset, did you lose everything and have to rebuild everything bascially?

I had significant issues with my wifi speed for a while and it took HOURS on the phone with comcast.

I dont want to go down that road again because I do a factory reset....

(The mind numbing silence of the absence of any sunstantive help on this from Comast is mind blowing)

New Poster

Ok is this an easy thing to do? I mean I don't really mess with the modem just the reset button or unplug it. Can you tell me the steps to do this or can I call comcast and they do it. I have to have my internet and I don't want to muck it up and not have it.

Expert
Moved:

This is a placeholder for a post that was moved to a secure location because it violates the forum guidelines.

Regular Visitor

Similar issue.  I'm trying to pause a device from accessing my network.  I've tried pausing the device indefinitely and setting the bedtime settings so that they encompass most of the day however neither seems to work.  In the XFi app, the device shows as either paused or in bedtime, however it is still shows up as using data.  I can see in the router admin that the unwanted device is still connected.  From reading through the forums, couldn't find any remedies that worked; if possible would prefer to not have to do a factory reset on the gateway.  I see a lot of cases where the techs request a PM and solve it privately.  While I completely understand the need for the detailed info to be kept private, maybe there could be a generic FAQ that talks about some of the reasons it doesn't work and what type of remedies have helped.

Regular Visitor

XFi only stops WiFi access. It does not stop data access. 

Contributor

Not sure I completely understand your question....

The short fix (since pausing WIF seems to not work for so many incouding me) to making the device unable to access your WIFI network is change your WIFI key/password.  Its clumsy cause now that means your other WANTED devices have to be changed as well. But if pause doesnt work,....well.....not many other choices I guess.(Thanks Comcast)

As far as the device "still using data", if the pause isnt working, the device will remain connected and yes, using "data".....or do you mean its a cell or pad using 4G data?  That is in the device itself....but maybe I dont understand the question clearly....?

Regular Visitor

Yeah sorry, by "using data" I meant the XFi app still shows it as a consumer of wireless data. I know it's not gong to affect cellular data usage.
New Poster

I solved my issue by changing my password to kick all devices off my network.

Then I reset the gateway by pushing the reset button with a paperclip that's on the back of the modem.

Then I signed back into Xfi.

I changed the password in Xfi for my network.

Then reconnected the devices I wanted on my network with the new password.

I can now pause devices again.
New Poster

I solved my issue by changing my password to kick all devices off my network.

Then I reset the gateway by pushing the reset button with a paperclip that's on the back of the modem.

Then I signed back into Xfi.

I changed the password in Xfi for my network.

Then reconnected the devices I wanted on my network with the new password.

I can now pause devices again.
Contributor

@Nickileemiller wrote:

I wanted to say THANKS!  For doing what comcast couldnt do.

I stumbled across your info  in January after trying off and on for a year to get this stuff to work....but didnt have the inclination to break anythin gso I ignored the issue til tonight.

Deleted all the devices thru the Xfi screen on my PC (not the app), deleted all profiles and then did a factory reset of the router/wifi modem.

Took an hour to let the modem reboot and then start adding devices back but so far, initial tests show that the pause feature works.

I just set up parental controls again and will see if the WIFI is shut off at a certain hour or not.

Crossing my fingers that this works and sticks this time...but thanks so much for your help!

New Poster

This did not work. I took the time to do this (a LOT of time) and now it won't even see the "forgotten" devices anymore. So I'm worse off than I was before!

Contributor

@cmeurer1 wrote:

This did not work. I took the time to do this (a LOT of time) and now it won't even see the "forgotten" devices anymore. So I'm worse off than I was before!

Did you COMPLETELY remove ALL devices, people and assignements from XFI via the computer app? Then factory reset COMPLETELY the modem/router by holding the reset button in for 30 seconds?

You cannot restore any settings from saved files (at least I didnt).....you need to know the routers fatcory password etc......at some point the router takes over assist you in setup, at least it did for me....that was a help.  Rename your wifi network and change the password.....

Also remember that some devices you need to use WPS, others you need to do a mac address connection...my printer was like the latter....my TV was the WPS.   Other stuff then just shows up as connected ...like phones....as you connect to your network from those devices.  The network won't auitomatoically "see" your forgotten devices...you have to actually do it from the device and like you have never connected before.....

It took about an hour to set everything up again...I have something like 25 connected devices.....LOL. A pain but it worked.

Now that its working I can pause, etc.

Though I can also confirm that XFI sometimes acts funky....sometimes not allowing me to connect etc...usually I just close the browser or app and retry and it works again.

Also, I could not find any way in the router settings to  turn off the "public" xfinity wifi port.....which some one in the household can use to bypass your wifi pause etc.....but I did a google for that topic and it walked me thru just fine. Seems like it may have turned MY xfinity public wifi off, but my neighbor has it....and I can still pick that up though at a reduced signal.  WHile making it easy for xfinity customers to get wifi everywhere, they have also made the parnetal controls a lot less effective IMHO.

Hope this helps! Good luck!