Community Forum

xFi App Notification - New Device Connected

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

xFi App Notification - New Device Connected

From the xFi app, i've been receiving about 8 notifications a day that a new device just connected to my home network. The device details offered in the app indicate the connection types have all been MoCA. I've been changing passwords daily and i've been pausing all the connections when I'm notified.

Is there something I can do to prevent this or is this a bug in the app?

Official Employee

Re: xFi App Notification - New Device Connected

Peter_V, I haven't heard of this issue before. Do you have MOCA devices in your home, like an adapter? Have you tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling again? 

KenF

Regular Visitor

The router is at my daughter's college apartment and she does not have any MoCA devices. However, I can't speak for the other tenents in the building. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app on my phone and have installed it on several other devices. Same results. I've chatted a couple of times with customer service and they can't seem to provide a solution.

Official Employee

Hmmm, Peter_V. That is definitely quite strange. 

If you go into your modem's settings or the xFi app, can you see these MoCa devices that are connecting? 

KenF

Regular Visitor

Yes, I can see the MoCA devices that are connecting. Below are two screen shots from the app.  One is a capture of the notifications screen and the other is or the device details:

file.pngfile1.png

Official Employee

Thanks Peter_V. It's a little strange that these MoCA devices are able to connect with each password change. Let me look into this further. Can you send me a private message with the account address and your full name so I can take a closer look? 

KenF

Regular Visitor

PM Sent.

New Poster

I have the same exact problem with unknown devices connecting. Is there a way that devices have to be approved by me before a connection is allowed. Like they connect and then I am asked if I will permit this device to use my internet. Then I choose yes or no.
Thank you
New Poster

I have this exact problem. My neighbors were stealing my internet and going over our data limit so I changed our network name and password. Since then new devices are still connecting and I'm not sure what they are or why they're connecting. I have been told to spend an extra $50 on top of what I already pay to get unlimited data but so far we haven't used half of our allowance for january even though new devices are constantly connecting. Is there a problem with my network that im unaware of? I was also told my hotspot was deactivated so its not connecting to that.

Official Employee

LadyBones wrote:

I have this exact problem. My neighbors were stealing my internet and going over our data limit so I changed our network name and password. Since then new devices are still connecting and I'm not sure what they are or why they're connecting. I have been told to spend an extra $50 on top of what I already pay to get unlimited data but so far we haven't used half of our allowance for january even though new devices are constantly connecting. Is there a problem with my network that im unaware of? I was also told my hotspot was deactivated so its not connecting to that.

LadyBones, I would be happy to help look into this a little further for you. Please send me a private message with your service address for account confirmation and we can discuss this issue further through there. Thanks. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Hello. I'm having a similar issue, at first I must be seeing devices that haven't been assigned as we have quite a few older tablets and phones that are now just for the use of our younger children. This morning I was trying to get to the bottom of a connection issue on my Lenovo desktop that has both a hardwired and wifi connection, and noticed that every time I did a network map of our home network, I would get an alert that two new devices have connected. In my network map window, there is an option to select which connection to map: Wireless Network Connection, Local Area Connection, Virtualbox Host-Only Network. Each time I select a different network option to map, two new devices show up. It appears that a new MAC address is getting assigned each time I do this. This computers wired and wireless connections originally showed up under the name "Inventec 231C" for wired connection and "GemtekTe-0FC5," have already been re-named and assigned to profiles, and they both still show as connected on the app,  so far the names of devices that have shown up this morning are:

Microsof-B901

Microsof-BA00

Microsof-BA01

Microsof-BB00

Microsof-BB01

Microsof-BC00

Microsof-BD00

Microsof-BD01

Microsof-BE01

Microsof-BE00

Microsof-BF01

Microsof-BF00

The "newly connected devices" immediately show up in the "Not Connected" section.

Perhaps windows is creating and assigning new temporary MAC addresses for the network mapping process, and it appears that this is harmless yet annoying. When I started writing this I was expecting to be asking a question about identifying the cause, but as it seems I no longer need the answer to my original intended question, perhaps the information might help someone else.

Silver Problem Solver

Google found ths:

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/7058241

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

I know this is an old thread but have you resolved the issue? If so how? If not do you think it may be the service that allows any Xfinity subscriber to use any Wifi connection by paying like 20 extra a month? Basically I was never told or asked but I noticed once I set up my Wifi connections and named them there was a third one listed as Xfinity which was not locked, when you select it you get a prompt to add your account key then walah, you have Internet, they say you get a little extra bandwidth free when someone/s connect but if we rarely get the speed we pay for as it is how can they guarantee more? Or maybe she has some secret friends that she may have forgotting to tell you about sharing the code with, not tring to be rude but my female roomate has done that with neighbors tring to be sneaky but I block everything all the time. Shts to expensive to share Smiley Happy

Silver Problem Solver

@ChazB0 wrote:

I know this is an old thread but have you resolved the issue? If so how? If not do you think it may be the service that allows any Xfinity subscriber to use any Wifi connection by paying like 20 extra a month? Basically I was never told or asked but I noticed once I set up my Wifi connections and named them there was a third one listed as Xfinity which was not locked, when you select it you get a prompt to add your account key then walah, you have Internet, they say you get a little extra bandwidth free when someone/s connect but if we rarely get the speed we pay for as it is how can they guarantee more? Or maybe she has some secret friends that she may have forgotting to tell you about sharing the code with, not tring to be rude but my female roomate has done that with neighbors tring to be sneaky but I block everything all the time. Shts to expensive to share Smiley Happy

"third one listed as Xfinity"  Do you mean xfinitywifi?  That can be turned off.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/disable-xfinity-wifi-home-hotspot

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

This is an older thread, but this started happening to me this week. I’ll randomly get notifications that a device connected even after I changed the password. Did any find a cause or solution for this?
Contributor

@ncaadam wrote:
This is an older thread, but this started happening to me this week. I’ll randomly get notifications that a device connected even after I changed the password. Did any find a cause or solution for this?

Been going on for months.  Comcast still investigating.  See this thread:  http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-xFi/quot-a-new-device-has-connected-quot/td-p/3038523