Community Forum

xFi App: Impact of upgrading xFi gateway

Valued Contributor

xFi App: Impact of upgrading xFi gateway

I am scheduled to have my TG1682G replaced with a TG3482G Wednesday, 1/10/18, to upgrade my Blast internet to Gigabit internet.  A lot of effort went into naming all the devices on my network and assinging them to profiles.  Will this information be retained?

New Poster

Re: xFi App: Impact of upgrading xFi gateway

I would copy and paste each device detail and save it to a spreadsheet just to be safe. It could save you a lot of time if you had to identify all your devices on your network again.

Valued Contributor

I already have a printout, with info for each device expanded, of the gateway Connected Devices > Devices list.  I annotated the printout with the xFi name for each device.

Official Employee

jehill, as long as the new Gateway is activated through the xFi App or by going through register.xfinity.com, you should be prompted with an option to retain all settings. Selecting this should move over all the settings you have previously set in xFi to the new Gateway. 

Valued Contributor

Whew!  That's good news.  I suspect that I will be prompted appropriately the first time that I open the xFi app after the technician has completed installation of the new gateway.  Does that sound right?

Valued Contributor

My TG1682G was replaced with a TG3482G today without a hitch.  I didn't have to worry about activating the new gateway with the xFi app, because the gateway was professionally installed.  All groups and device names were retained as well as device IP addresses.  All I had to do was reserve a few IP addresses that were reserved before.  The Wi-Fi speed increase is impressive.

Silver Problem Solver

jehill wrote:

My TG1682G was replaced with a TG3482G today without a hitch.  I didn't have to worry about activating the new gateway with the xFi app, because the gateway was professionally installed.  All groups and device names were retained as well as device IP addresses.  All I had to do was reserve a few IP addresses that were reserved before.  The Wi-Fi speed increase is impressive.

I'm curious; did you upgrade to the gigabit service?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Valued Contributor

Yes.