Community Forum

wifi extension

Contributor

wifi extension

Can i use an ethernet powerline adapter as the input to a pod?
Silver Problem Solver

Re: wifi extension

@philbes wrote:
Can i use an ethernet powerline adapter as the input to a pod?

I don't know, but the installation says you have to plug the pods in a power outlet.  Are you saying the powerline adapter has a place to plug a pod in?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

I plan to use the.pod plugged in to an ac outlet. I want to take an etherner cable and plug it into the pod. Rsther then yhe eyher cable as a input to a lsptop. I want to use th ed ethernet powerline adapter as a source of internet and have it feed the.pod so the pod acts as an wifi extender getting its input grom the cable anf not the gateway. Alternstively, i could use a tradtional wifi extender with an othernet cable or even a second router
Silver Problem Solver

@philbes wrote:
I plan to use the.pod plugged in to an ac outlet. I want to take an etherner cable and plug it into the pod. Rsther then yhe eyher cable as a input to a lsptop. I want to use th ed ethernet powerline adapter as a source of internet and have it feed the.pod so the pod acts as an wifi extender getting its input grom the cable anf not the gateway. Alternstively, i could use a tradtional wifi extender with an othernet cable or even a second router

I don't have pods but you should be able to connect an ethernet cable to the pod and then connect it to an ethernet port on a PC.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Official Employee

Hi @philbes, the xFi Pods do not currently support ethernet backhaul back to the Gateway, so the setup you are asking about will not work.

However as RobertWy mentioned, the Pods do support ethernet connection, so you can connect a device to a Pod via ethernet as long as that Pod is connecting back to the Gateway on WiFi.

Let us know if you have any questions about xFi Pods setup. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Brittany, is there any work around to separate the SSID's to allow for a dedicated 2.4 SSID? i currently have to disable my 5g in order for a couple of devices to connect.
Silver Problem Solver

@philbes wrote:
Brittany, is there any work around to separate the SSID's to allow for a dedicated 2.4 SSID? i currently have to disable my 5g in order for a couple of devices to connect.

If you have Pods, the single SSID supports both bands; the Pods assign the device to the correct band.  You shouldn't have to separate the bands.

And the Pods REQUIRE using one SSID.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfi-pods-faqs

Contributor

Does not work
Contributor

Does not work right with Rainbird
Silver Problem Solver

@philbes wrote:
Does not work right with Rainbird

Are you saying the Rainbird can't connect using the single SSID/password?

What is Rainbird?  I have the Acu-Rite weather station and it can connect to my single SSID.

Contributor

Rainbird is a lawn sprinkler controller and it eill not connect if a 5g is present.
Silver Problem Solver

@philbes wrote:
Rainbird is a lawn sprinkler controller and it eill not connect if a 5g is present.

Hmm,  I am not familiar with it.  I only know that all my 2.4 devices will connect when using a mesh network that requires both bands to be combined in one SSID.

If you have Pods, it sounds like you have to choose between Pods and Rainbird.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Hi @philbes, as RobertWy mentioned, the Pods require the 2.4 and 5 bands to be combinied. For devices that need to join to 2.4 or 5 specifically, it is easiest to disable one of the network temporarily while you add the devices to your network. You can do this through the Gateway Admin page (10.0.0.1). 

I hope this helps!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Brittany, that is exactly what i did to get the two devices to connect. I have had to keep the 5g off because when i turned it back on, the Rainbird sprinkler control would not stay connected.
Silver Problem Solver

@philbes wrote:
Brittany, that is exactly what i did to get the two devices to connect. I have had to keep the 5g off because when i turned it back on, the Rainbird sprinkler control would not stay connected.

Are you saying the Rainbird won't work if the bands are combined into one SSID?  All my 2.4 devices work with one SSID for both bands.