Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

using xFI to edit device date for a Kindle Fire

Frequent Visitor

using xFI to edit device date for a Kindle Fire

Xfi  show a device called Private-XXXX that is connected to my network.  After some looking around checking MAC address (see post on amazon kindle board on finding MAC address on a Fire if you care:

https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/devices/fire-tablets/476875-device-name-is-not-wi-fi-name

so I know that Private-xxxx is my fire because xxxx is the last 4 of the MAC address so I add it to the household profile.  so far so good. 

Then I want to edit the device and change the name to Fire as I have done with other devices like cell phones

In device edit I have to select the device type, I pick tablet and it says nope this is not tablet.

So it will tell me what it is not, but not what it is.  there are over 30 types, I do not want to play a guessing game thru that many choices.

If I go to device details on the  device screen I see

Household's Private-xxxx is connected to <my wi-fi ssid>
Hostname
amazon-xxxxxxxxx
Brand
Private
Model
Unknown
 Operating System
Unknown
Device Type
Unknown
Connection Type
Wi-Fi 5GHz
Connection Point
Wireless Gateway
MAC Address
xxxxxxx2CAD
IP Address
so I suspect the unkown on device type is the problem.  The Fire is not giving xFi the right info??

Frequent Visitor

Re: using xFI to edit device date for a Kindle Fire

Title should be "edit device name"  not date.  Wish I could blame auto-correct, but it was more like finger check.

Frequent Visitor

Dang is there no way to edit posts on this board.

Anyways more info:

I was making a wrong assumion.

I thought the device edit screen would not let me change the device name because I got a"nope not a tablet" messge.

but that was incorrect, you can change the device name and just ignore the device type error.

That works for what I was trying to do, which was identify the device by a name I selected.

Expert

You can edit a post by clicking on the three veritcal dots on the upper right of the post.

Frequent Visitor

Re: using xFI to edit device Name for a Kindle Fire

Thanks.  Second time in this process I forgot about the three little dots. 

Someday, I will remember to look for them.