Community Forum

turn wifi completely off every night

New Poster

turn wifi completely off every night

So according to tech support if I pause all devices, my wifi will shut down at night. i am not so confident. How can I schedule wifi to shut completely off every night at the same time? 

Official Employee

Re: turn wifi completely off every night

Hi Charlotte9!

 

It sounds like you will want to check out our "Bedtime Mode" feature on the xFi app or at http://internet.xfinity.com.

 

Below is an excerpt from the Personalizing and Controlling Your Home Network with Xfinity xFi article.

 

Bedtime Mode

Bedtime Mode allows you to automatically pause WiFi access over your home network during scheduled times for all devices assigned to a profile. For example, you can pause kids' WiFi access during dinnertime or bedtime. Different schedules can be set for school nights (Sunday - Thursday) and weekends (Friday - Saturday).

To set Bedtime Mode, select a profile, then select Edit next to Bedtime Mode. Select the desired nights for Bedtime Mode and the sleep and wake times for all devices that are assigned to that profile. All devices assigned to that profile will then be paused during the sleep times selected. If you have a single device you'd like to set Bedtime Mode for, first assign it to a profile. Once assigned, select that Profile, and then Edit next to Bedtime Mode.

If any device assigned to that profile attempts to access a website, app or service outside a web browser (e.g., mobile email app) during a scheduled Bedtime Mode, the user will see the device’s default message that the website cannot be reached or that it is not connected to the Internet.


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: turn wifi completely off every night

Is there a way to just turn off the router at night, the whole network?  Without having to fuss around with profiles and bedtimes,  etc.  and, without having to physically unplug the router every night?  Like a master kill switch.  Push button, boom, goodnite internet.  Please advise!

Silver Problem Solver

Re: turn wifi completely off every night


@GPBob wrote:

Is there a way to just turn off the router at night, the whole network?  Without having to fuss around with profiles and bedtimes,  etc.  and, without having to physically unplug the router every night?  Like a master kill switch.  Push button, boom, goodnite internet.  Please advise!


I use my gateway's admin tool to turn off wifi.

10.0.0.1 userid-admin password-password.

You can also use the xFi app.

 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Re: turn wifi completely off every night

This worked great until my son installed a VPN effectively masking him from the bedtime mode. 


@ComcastBecker wrote:

Hi Charlotte9!

 

It sounds like you will want to check out our "Bedtime Mode" feature on the xFi app or at http://internet.xfinity.com.

 

Below is an excerpt from the Personalizing and Controlling Your Home Network with Xfinity xFi article.

 

Bedtime Mode

Bedtime Mode allows you to automatically pause WiFi access over your home network during scheduled times for all devices assigned to a profile. For example, you can pause kids' WiFi access during dinnertime or bedtime. Different schedules can be set for school nights (Sunday - Thursday) and weekends (Friday - Saturday).

To set Bedtime Mode, select a profile, then select Edit next to Bedtime Mode. Select the desired nights for Bedtime Mode and the sleep and wake times for all devices that are assigned to that profile. All devices assigned to that profile will then be paused during the sleep times selected. If you have a single device you'd like to set Bedtime Mode for, first assign it to a profile. Once assigned, select that Profile, and then Edit next to Bedtime Mode.

If any device assigned to that profile attempts to access a website, app or service outside a web browser (e.g., mobile email app) during a scheduled Bedtime Mode, the user will see the device’s default message that the website cannot be reached or that it is not connected to the Internet.


 

New Poster

Re: turn wifi completely off every night

Can a Comcast employee or someone else advise us on how to completely turn off the entire network at night?
Silver Problem Solver

Re: turn wifi completely off every night


@Wifioff wrote:
Can a Comcast employee or someone else advise us on how to completely turn off the entire network at night?

One option is to unplug the Gateway.

Or. you might accomplish the same thing by changing the SSID password(s) every night and change them back in the morning.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/view-change-wifi-password

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

Re: turn wifi completely off every night

Hello all, your best option is our XFI app. You can see what devices are connected, VPN or not, and pause that device. 

 

I can walk anyone through that proccess if needed. 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!