Community Forum

replaced a gateway that had two bands

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

replaced a gateway that had two bands

New gateway now shows two named WiFi’s and one is faster than the other one - should I somehow combine them - is that possible?  

Frequent Visitor

Re: replaced a gateway that had two bands

I am 99% sure that you can't. Just use the 5 name for faster speeds

Frequent Visitor

I am 99% sure that you cannot combine the networks. If you want faster speeds go with the 5 network.

Official Employee

kay3 -- 

Thanks for reaching out.  

To proceed with combining your bands, follow these steps:
1. Open the xFi App or log in to the xFi Website (www.xfinity.com/myxfi)
2. From the Overview tab, select Edit Wifi
3. Update both networks (2.4 and 5.0 GHz) to have the same WiFi Name and Password
4. Select Apply Changes

It may take a few moments for the changes to be reflected.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Rachel

Silver Problem Solver

@ComcastRachelH wrote:

kay3 -- 

Thanks for reaching out.  

To proceed with combining your bands, follow these steps:
1. Open the xFi App or log in to the xFi Website (www.xfinity.com/myxfi)
2. From the Overview tab, select Edit Wifi
3. Update both networks (2.4 and 5.0 GHz) to have the same WiFi Name and Password
4. Select Apply Changes

It may take a few moments for the changes to be reflected.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Rachel

Rachel, is that true if a customer has the xFi pods?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Official Employee

In order to successfully install xFi Pods, we do require that the 2.4 and 5.0 GHz bands are combined and broadcasted under one network name.

Silver Problem Solver

@ComcastRachelH wrote:

In order to successfully install xFi Pods, we do require that the 2.4 and 5.0 GHz bands are combined and broadcasted under one network name.

Thanks for the clarification.  I didn't want to give bad advice.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

This makes no sense. You can't combine 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz bands. They operate on completely different frequencies and totally different channels. Your misleading people because it's their device that decides. 802.11 doesn't work that way.

Your just creating an SSID with the same name, encryption type, and frequencies.

This could have problems as the user moves around the house. Or does your wireless software automaticly move them from 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz when they get to the fringe area of the 5Ghz?
Silver Problem Solver

Most mesh systems (Orbi, Comcast pods, etc) use one SSID.  The mesh system sees a wifi signal and sends it to the best frequency,

Do a google on mesh systems.

New Poster

They don't use a mesh system. They use bandsteering. I'm a CCNA that specializes in 802.11. Lastly it's the device that chooses the channel and frequency. Even in a MESH network. The Wireless Controller get the rssi dbm from the client and predetermine the best AP to handoff to from it's neighbor list. You may want to do a Google search on mesh networks and bandsteering.
New Poster

The only reason for bandsteering like this is because the equipment is using 802.11ac.
Is that correct? Because any common range extender would work on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz alone.
Silver Problem Solver

@Aaronfneal wrote:
They don't use a mesh system. They use bandsteering. I'm a CCNA that specializes in 802.11. Lastly it's the device that chooses the channel and frequency. Even in a MESH network. The Wireless Controller get the rssi dbm from the client and predetermine the best AP to handoff to from it's neighbor list. You may want to do a Google search on mesh networks and bandsteering.

I'm really glad I got Orbi.

https://support.plume.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005136953-What-the-difference-between-Plume-WiFi-rout...