Community Forum

"a new device has connected"

New Poster

"a new device has connected"

Since this morning, I have been receiving texts and e-mails stating that "a new device has connected" to my home wi-fi network. About a text/email every minute or two.

What is going on?

Thanks,

David

Official Employee

Re: "a new device has connected"

Hi davidpv, we will start looking into this issue for you.

Can you confirm if you have recently connected a WiFi extender to your network or have had one connected that may have just started registering these new connections?

New Poster

I've had an extender on the network for a couple of years now. I added an OpenMesh Access Point several months ago. No problem since then.

As of now, there are 350 new devices added to the network since this morning.

David

New Poster

I now have over 1200 new devices connected to my wifi!!

Official Employee

davidpv, thanks for posting here. Our teams are aware of the issue and we are working on a fix. 

New Poster

Similar for me. Every night, around 2 am, the message says a new device connected. The device always has unrecognizable numbers and letters, sometimes a long string. I do not believe these are my devices. And I have the router password protected. Yet when I look at network activity, it is zero, as if these devices did not really logon, or if they did, zero activity. One theory is they are pinging but unable to access my network, and xfi is incorrectly reporting. I stated that theory to your tech support person who said change the password and kept repeating that, would not engage in other theories. I do not want to change if there is no issue due to all the stuff connected and other problems that would cause. Now I read it might be indeed an xfi issue you are working. If you can confirm this is not really a security issue, I will just wait. Thanks for any thoughts. 

Official Employee

Tadlow, changing your password wouldn't necessarily work in this case. The issue comes from extender/open mesh access point running on the network. We are working on a fix. 

KenF

New Poster

Thanks. I agree don’t want to change password. However, I am not running an extender. I only have the modem/router. Provided by comcast. 

Regular Visitor

I have the same problem, so instead of starting a new post, i'm adding it here. Also, this issue started for me on 1/22, almost the same time as the OP here.

A few weeks ago I got a new Arris TG3482G (XB6) gateway (modem/router) from Xfinity. This is the ONLY router on my network. Then last Monday, I began getting a series of very strange alerts from Xfinity, saying "A new device connected to your home network".

I'm sure they're NOT my devices -- unless my devices have been hacked, but a MalwareBytes scan of my mac was clean.

Also, my xfinitywifi network is DISABLED, so I assume they're not somehow slipping onto my personal network from there.

Reviewing the Notifications screen in xFi, I compiled a complete list -- see attached screenshot.

Notes:

• 27 in a week, starting Mon 1/22.

• The very high volume on Friday.

• Some are overnight (3:23am, 3:26am, 4:02am).

• Most do not show a Manufacturer.

• Some MAC addrs seem to have a very odd format (in red).

• The strange MAC addrs are (almost always) the only ones with a Manufacturer.

• None were assigned an IP.

• For comparison, the last row of the log shows a legit/normal alert, for my friend's iphone (which did get an IP).

What is going on here? Have I been hacked (such that MalwareBytes can't see it)? Is this some kind of malware on my router? What can explain these oddly formed MAC addresses? Why do they not get an IP?

intruder-log-03.jpg
Silver Problem Solver

At times in the past, the xfinitywifi SSID re-appears.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

As of this morning, there are 7,000 devices connected to my Xfi.....Any word on how to fix this as I can't do anything with the aFi app as it looks up that many devices!

Silver Problem Solver

wrote:

As of this morning, there are 7,000 devices connected to my Xfi.....Any word on how to fix this as I can't do anything with the aFi app as it looks up that many devices!

Shot in the dark; turn off the xfinitywifi SSID:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/disable-xfinity-wifi-home-hotspot

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

Not sure I'm posting this correctly, but I have this same issue, and in researching I got to this post.  I get at least one email a day, somedays more, but not as many as other posters.  Here is a typical screenshot (I hope).  This started a few weeks ago. I have no extended, just your modem.  I do have an older Apple Time Capsule connected to the Modem, but I use it only as the Time Machine backup for my MAcbook Air. 

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 10.48.19 AM.png
Official Employee

I wanted to provide a quick update to everyone as we understand this is causing issues with your xFi experience. We have identified that the issue is due to the presence of a third-party access point on the network and the team is actively working on resolving the handling of this in xFi. Once the issue is fixed, we will be doing a clean-up on these extensive device lists which should improve your xFi web/app experience. 

I apologize for any inconvenience but I will keep you updated as we progress. 

Silver Problem Solver

wrote:

I wanted to provide a quick update to everyone as we understand this is causing issues with your xFi experience. We have identified that the issue is due to the presence of a third-party access point on the network and the team is actively working on resolving the handling of this in xFi. Once the issue is fixed, we will be doing a clean-up on these extensive device lists which should improve your xFi web/app experience. 

I apologize for any inconvenience but I will keep you updated as we progress. 

I have a "third-party access point" with my Orbi setup.  Would it be an example of what you mention?

Official Employee

RobertWy, thanks for the question. Yes, this would be an example of one of these third-party access points, however depending on how that device communicates with your Gateway and the rest of the devices in your household you may not have experienced this issue. 

We're working on a communication regarding this issue. Once we publish it, I will provide the link to that post in this channel for reference. 

Silver Problem Solver

Thank you, Brittany.

New Poster

I’ve had xfinity for less than 24 hours, and received two messages at the same time about new devices connecting to my network (A TMobile device and an apple devixe). I do not have any additional equipment added. I have only what xfinjty setup.

What is the fix?
Silver Problem Solver

Select the devices and choose "forget".

Regular Visitor

That does not prevent the problem from recurring, with different devices, as happens for me several times per week.

Official Employee

Hi Blake030794, as mentioned you can select those devices from the devices list and forget them from xFi (as long as they are inactive). If they are showing as active in xFi, they are likely some of your in-home WiFi devices that have connected to the network. You can select the device and click on Device Details to view more information about each that may help identify those devices. 

Hope this helps!

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfi-app-and-portal

New Poster

As RobertWy points out this does not prevent another device from unauthorized access. I’ve started getting these an hour ago. Could it be passers by connecting to the unsecured Xfinitywifi profile while parked at store outside my home? How do I disable the xfinitywifi profile from my home network and will that put an end to the unauthorized access?
Official Employee

@tex335 wrote:

That does not prevent the problem from recurring, with different devices, as happens for me several times per week.

Do you currently use any type of WiFi extender or additional router on your network?

New Poster

As a clarification for my issue, I am using a single Xfinity (leased) modem. No extender. Thank you.
Official Employee

@PaulVT57 wrote:
As a clarification for my issue, I am using a single Xfinity (leased) modem. No extender. Thank you.

To answer your previous question, a new device will only be registered and show in xFi if it connects to your home network and passes authorization (has the correct WiFi password).

If there are specific devices showing on your network that you have concerns about, please feel free to send me a private message with a screenshot of the device details in xFi. 

Devices that connect to the Xfinity hotspot will not show in xFi. For more information on the xfinitywifi network, please reference this article: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/disable-xfinity-wifi-home-hotspot

Contributor

These devices never stay connected more than a 5 minutes. Why would anyone hack your password and stay connected for seconds. I really believe they are connecting with out a password and not actually logged in or they would remain more than a few seconds.
Contributor

Why all the secrecy. If you could solve a problem why would you hide it?
New Poster

OK I just got my first new device message and I did not connect any new devices today. There was a network spike for a bit then quite. This seams like some sort of probe or attack or reuse.

Please respond is this is something should be concerned about.

mm

Contributor

The will have you send them a private message then tell you it’s your friends that are visiting you. Only thing is you have no one visiting you and you never gave anyone your password.
New Poster

LOGIN TO YOUR ROUTER VIA YOUR WEB BROWSER AND CHANGE DEFAULT PASSWORD. NEXT, NAVIGATE TO WPS SETTINGS AND DISABLE. THESE DEVICES ARE COMING IN THROUGH THIS VUNERALABILITY AS PASSWORD PROTECTED WPS CLIENTS. HAVE A NICE DAY.

Contributor

There is no disable on the Xfinity XFi . You can only choose Open, WPA2 or WPA/WPA2. It is set to WPA/WPA2 by default.
Contributor

I did finally find the web adresss to log in directly to router 10.0.0.1 and changed the default password. That may solve the problem since it was the standard password for all routers. However you should not be able to log into this except you are connected by ethernet connection. Next was harder to find:

1. Log into the online Admin Tool (http://10.0.0.1) using a browser from a connected device.
  2. Click Gateway > Connection > Wi-Fi.
  3. Under Private Wi-Fi Network, click Add Wi-Fi Client.
  4. Next to Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS), click the Disable box.

Thanks Kevin, i'll try to let everyone know if this solved my problem and would solve theirs. 

Contributor

Just got a new device connected. It didn’t work.
Silver Problem Solver

@fossilsol wrote:
Just got a new device connected. It didn’t work.

What didn't work?

Contributor

Have you even been reading what is going on here? We are trying to stop unknown devices from connecting to our network. All our devices are labeled and we know what our devices are. We did not give out our password. These are cellphones that are connecting. They only show connected for short periods of time. We are using the xFi router. We cannot get any support from Comcast Xfinity. I like others here have been through problems with Comcast before where the do no even try to fix their problems like their email they never fixed so I no longer use there email. They make everything top secret and tell you to pm them only to get nothing resolved or they say they know what it is and are working on it but they can’t tell you what it is and it never gets fixed. These xFi routers constantly disconnect. I never had problems out of Comcast routers before them. Every time we start a thread some Comcast person will post issue has been resolved when the posts obviously say different. There is obviously a reward for not fixing problems at Comcast.
Contributor

Your team is working on nothing. When you can not even tell what is causing this issue you know nothing and are fixing nothing.
New Poster

If this is a known issue, why has it not been fixed yet?  Took me 45 minutes to get to your 2nd level support and they finally assigned me a case # and asked me to provide a screen capture of the unassigned devices as well as a link to this thread, because they state they are not aware of any issues, as you describe "Official Comcast Employee" ComcastKenF.

I would suggest you all contact support and demend to have your issue evalated to 2nd level support.

Contributor

I've read about the WPS vulnerability in the past and have always kept that disabled.. it's funny you say that because the last tech that came over to work on my Upstream speed tried telling me that I shouldn't be going into the modem settings to disable that or that I shouldn't even go into the settings at all. After he changed out my modem is when I told him that I had just changed the password to get into the modem settings and that I will have to change it and that's when he thought that up to me. I had to laugh at that one but still couldn't believe the Comcast customer being told that by someone that works for comcast.. with the way that technology is and vulnerabilities the people that know about it are the ones that try to protect ourselves from being hacked into and I would think that everyone that's commenting on this post or the ones that are knowledgeable about it and is concerned. That's how I got to this post because I've been getting these text alerts from all different kinds of devices. I even have on my notification list within about an hour I think it was where my name or password was changed at least 5 times which I never did because when I change my passwords I mark it with the date that I do it and everything's logged in a notebook where I keep track of..
Screenshot_20180419-192705.png
Contributor

And I haven't really seen anything else in this conversation but I also we'll send a screenshot where in between being having a new device connected somehow it is changing my name and password as well which you'll see in the picture and this all happened the other day and I just noticed it today
Screenshot_20180419-220809.png
Contributor

Another
Screenshot_20180419-220820.png
Contributor

Between both pictures shows the activity for this day.. I thought all three pictures with son with my last message
Screenshot_20180419-220826.png
New Poster

Wow those messages you are receiving I have never had.  You should contact support ASAP!

Silver Problem Solver

Without more information, it looks like your son is able to access your Comcast Account and change the Comcast wifi password.

Another possibility is you have X1 and he is using its interface to find your wifi password(s).

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/get-to-know-xr11-remote A button - scroll over to Wifi

Contributor

I don't have a son. I live alone. What more information can I give that would help solve this.. I'm sure it shows in C omcast systems the times and dates on when any changes are made thru the modem I rent from them..
Contributor

And I don't have the newer remote that lets you talk into it. I don't even have the x1 service. I am on the basic cable plan using the Motorella cable box still.
Silver Problem Solver

@robertburns2015 wrote:
And I don't have the newer remote that lets you talk into it. I don't even have the x1 service. I am on the basic cable plan using the Motorella cable box still.

Did you call 1800comcast?  You are posting in the xFi forum, which leads me to think you have a Comcast gateway, either the XB3 or the XB6.

Contributor

Sorry, I meant to say I don't have the voice remote. I have the Arris TG1682G.
I was just searching the other day about the text alerts I've been getting that lead me to this forum. And it looks like I am not the only customer having the issue. So what part of this forum should I be using then? I've called Comcast already and that's why I'm on here. But I may need to sign out the tier2 support number to call.. Something just isn't right on how it even shows in the screenshot I sent of my account notifications list where it shows the wifi name or password was changed without me doing it..
Silver Problem Solver

@robertburns2015 wrote:
Sorry, I meant to say I don't have the voice remote. I have the Arris TG1682G.
I was just searching the other day about the text alerts I've been getting that lead me to this forum. And it looks like I am not the only customer having the issue. So what part of this forum should I be using then? I've called Comcast already and that's why I'm on here. But I may need to sign out the tier2 support number to call.. Something just isn't right on how it even shows in the screenshot I sent of my account notifications list where it shows the wifi name or password was changed without me doing it..

Start a new thread in the Home Network forum.

Contributor

I did last night. Thank you
Official Employee

We would like to provide an update on the issue some customer have reported through here regarding unknown devices joining their home network. In some instances "new device connected” notifications are being incorrectly sent before a valid WiFi password is entered for that device to join the network, and these devices may incorrectly appear in the Connected Devices list in xFi temporarily. Be assured that these devices are not connected to your home network.

You can verify if an unknown device has connected to your network by checking for an IP address in ‘Device Details’. Fully authenticated devices that have entered a valid WiFi password will have an IP address assigned and displayed; devices that have not entered a valid WiFi password will not have or display an IP address. If an IP address does not appear in the Device Details, then the device is not connected to your home network. You can remove these devices from appearing in your xFi Connected Devices list by selecting the device, then selecting ‘Device Details’ and ‘Forget Device’.

We apologize for any inconvenience and continue to work with our technical teams to bring this issue to a full resolution.