Community Forum

"a new device has connected"

Official Employee

Re: "a new device has connected"

Hello @carolpm, thank you for your feedback, it certainly does help to see those details. Your IP address in this example is "Unknown".

Everytime a device fully accesses your network, logs in with your username and password, your network assigns it an IP address.

If there isn't an IP address, it's not connected.

If you would like me to take a closer look at your account, please let me know.  If sensitive network information is involved, we can move our conversation over to private message so your information remains private.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

If these devices are not actually connected, why does the X Finity Wi-Fi app notify me that they are connected? Who are these devices and who do they belong to?
Silver Problem Solver

You would need to PM a Comcast Employee to get help with that.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Problem Solver

Are you talking about the Xfinity WiFi app or the Xfinity xFi app?  Does the app have a 'feedback' option where you can submit bug reports or issues?

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Frequent Visitor

XFi.

Yes there are feedback options.
Official Employee

Hi @carolpm

Thanks for your feedback and all your responses.  In some instances "new device connected” notifications are being incorrectly sent before a valid WiFi password is entered for that device to join the network, and these devices may incorrectly appear in the Connected Devices list in xFi temporarily. Be assured that these devices are not connected to your home network.

You can verify if an unknown device has connected to your network by checking for an IP address in ‘Device Details’. Fully authenticated devices that have entered a valid WiFi password will have an IP address assigned and displayed; devices that have not entered a valid WiFi password will not have or display an IP address. If an IP address does not appear in the Device Details, then the device is not connected to your home network. You can remove these devices from appearing in your xFi Connected Devices list by selecting the device, then selecting ‘Device Details’ and ‘Forget Device’.

I apologize for any inconvenience and continue to work with our technical teams to bring this issue to a full resolution. We have been working on it, and are close to finishing the intensive testing before we roll out the resolution. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I’ve disconnected the xfinity ssid but still get them occasionally. Not to extent users above me have but 1 - 5 a week.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your reply.  I am relieved.  

Based on the number of people who seem to be having the same experience as I, the x-fi app seems to be causing more grief than it saves.   We should not be prompted to name these devices that knock on our network's door if they aren't truly members of our network.  Hope you get the bugs out soon!  

Silver Problem Solver

@carolpm wrote:

Thank you for your reply.  I am relieved.  

Based on the number of people who seem to be having the same experience as I, the x-fi app seems to be causing more grief than it saves.   We should not be prompted to name these devices that knock on our network's door if they aren't truly members of our network.  Hope you get the bugs out soon!  

I found out that my wifi toothbrush was connecting from xFi.  Others have reported wifi scales.  And some kitchen appliances have wifi connections.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Contributor

I had a very nice and knowledgeable Comcast tech show up at my home this morning, completely unannounced, asking me if I was having problems with my service.  I told the tech my TV and internet are fine and I never called for an appointment.  He said he was sent to check things out because of a thread I was participating in on the Community Forum.

When I told the tech about this thread, he said it sounds like a software issue.  And, from what @ComcastBrittany wrote a few posts above, that's what it appears to be with a possible resolution being pushed out in what will hopefully be not that far off.

I don't know who sent the Comcast tech out because of this thread.  Of course, the tech can't do anything about this issue.  However, it's nice to see some type of action after all these months.

Official Employee

Thank you for the feedback about the tech visit! Please remove these devices from appearing in your xFi Connected Devices list by selecting the device, then selecting ‘Device Details’ and ‘Forget Device’. If it comes back, please let me know.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastBrittany wrote:

Thank you for the feedback about the tech visit! Please remove these devices from appearing in your xFi Connected Devices list by selecting the device, then selecting ‘Device Details’ and ‘Forget Device’. If it comes back, please let me know.

@ComcastBrittany -- one of the devices is my own Arris gateway.  Should I have xFi forget that one?

I will remove the phantom ZTE device from xfi and my gateway.  I'll post the results.  It may take up to 24 hours.

New Poster

Let me suggest that you check your smartphone if you have one and under settings, see if you have a "setting up a hot spot " should be in tethering menu, or close by for Android phones. Even though switch may be switched to "off" , hackers seem to have found a way to set up hot spot and infiltrate router. Both my husband's and I phones have been affected. They name phone, set up new password for them to access router and it is impossible to erase. Or cancel. I found out because Wifi kept disconnecting on phone. Just got new router and this program which shows other devices and no less than 20 devices that are not ours. If anyone remembers , FBI warned public and COMCAST about this months ago.
Regular Contributor

@orangegto wrote:
Let me suggest that you check your smartphone if you have one and under settings, see if you have a "setting up a hot spot " should be in tethering menu, or close by for Android phones. Even though switch may be switched to "off" , hackers seem to have found a way to set up hot spot and infiltrate router. Both my husband's and I phones have been affected. They name phone, set up new password for them to access router and it is impossible to erase. Or cancel. I found out because Wifi kept disconnecting on phone. Just got new router and this program which shows other devices and no less than 20 devices that are not ours. If anyone remembers , FBI warned public and COMCAST about this months ago.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm in the minority -- no smartphone.  I will be posting tomorrow afternoon to let @ComcastBrittany know whether or not the two phantom devices return to xFi and/or my gateway.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastBrittany wrote:

@ComcastBrittany -- Per your instructions given yesterday, I removed two phantom devices from xFi.  One of the devices was also on my gateway, blocked, and I removed that as well.

It has now been 24 hours since removing the devices and as of this writing, neither device has reappeared on xFi or the gateway.  In the past, the devices always returned within a couple of hours.  

I shall continue to monitor and if anything shows up again, I'll post immediately.

New Poster

I have been notified there is a new device connected to my Xfinity network. I have not added or changed anything in serveral months. How do I stop these from connecting and delete it from my network???

New Poster

I am not able to forget the Arris Device on my network because it says I must disconnect it first.

6months later and still an issue.

Regular Contributor

@tom9652 -- the Arris device that showed up on my network was only on xFi and not my gateway.  I went to xFi last night, selected the device, device details and told xFi to forget it.  It finally went away and so far has not come back.  Your case is different from mine as mine never said anything about disconnecting.

I had another device that was on xFi and my gateway and it kept coming back every couple of hours after I'd remove it.  That seems to have gone away since yesterday when @ComcastBrittany told me to go to xFi and have it forget the device.

Comcast is apparently working on a fix and according to @ComcastBrittany it looks like it might not be too much longer.  In the meantime, she can answer your questions better than I.  And yes, this has been going on since January.

Regular Contributor

@flaboy wrote:

@ComcastBrittany wrote:

@ComcastBrittany -- Per your instructions given yesterday, I removed two phantom devices from xFi.  One of the devices was also on my gateway, blocked, and I removed that as well.

It has now been 24 hours since removing the devices and as of this writing, neither device has reappeared on xFi or the gateway.  In the past, the devices always returned within a couple of hours.  

I shall continue to monitor and if anything shows up again, I'll post immediately.

Oh well.  Here we go again.  Both phantom devices were successfully removed from xFi as stated above on 8/22/18.  

Last night, 8/28/18, at 6:51PM, the phantom ZTE device returned to xFi.  It is not connected as there is no IP address.  So far, it's not on my gateway and if it does show up there again, I will block it as I've done in the past.

Didn't quite make one week.  Guess this issue is still perplexing Comcast.

Silver Problem Solver

@flaboy wrote:

@flaboy wrote:

@ComcastBrittany wrote:

Oh well.  Here we go again.  Both phantom devices were successfully removed from xFi as stated above on 8/22/18.  

Last night, 8/28/18, at 6:51PM, the phantom ZTE device returned to xFi.  It is not connected as there is no IP address.  So far, it's not on my gateway and if it does show up there again, I will block it as I've done in the past.

This is a shot in the dark:  If you log into your gateway with the admin tool, you might get more information about the devices on your network.

Regular Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@flaboy wrote:

@flaboy wrote:

@ComcastBrittany wrote:

This is a shot in the dark:  If you log into your gateway with the admin tool, you might get more information about the devices on your network.

@RobertWy -- thanks for your response.  I've been doing your suggestion nearly every day since this all started months ago.  So far, the phantom ZTE device is only on xFi, it is not on my gateway in any way, shape or form.  It used to be on both.  @ComcastBrittany reported a fix was being worked on but there hasn't been any further update.  Strange that it did manage to go away for just under one week.

New Poster

I just started getting these messages. I do not have any extenders on my network. The only recent change is that I installed a Nest doorbell and google home mini. This is alarming!
New Poster

Your reply is dated feb 1, 2018, but i just started having this problem tonight - August 30, 2018. Either your ‘fix’ isn’t working, or you’ve got another problem.
Official Employee

Hi Jmarks0000, I can assist you with your notifications issue. So that I can take a look at your account, please send me a private message and include your full name and account primary email address. Please click on my name to see my profile, and then hit the blue "Send Message" button.

New Poster

The same thing happen to me today I got the message a new device connected to my internet while everyone is at school.
Silver Problem Solver

@Amazinace3 wrote:
The same thing happen to me today I got the message a new device connected to my internet while everyone is at school.

You probably have a wifi device like a fridge or toothbrush.  It might help if you could post the MAC Address.

Official Employee

Hi @Amazinace3, I can assist you with your notification. Please click on my name to see my profile, and then hit the blue "Send Message" button with the Account holder's First and Last Name and billing zip code for verification. 

Contributor

Must be a pretty smart toothbrush if it could hack the password on the network. You folks are not my child help.
New Poster

I really, really, really, wished I could like this comment a bazillion times!!! Hello Comcast we're still waiting…
New Poster

I was wondering about other random short term connection devices such as garage door opener? All the newer openers these days can be Wi-Fi controlled, are we picking up neighbors connections In addition to our own devices? I Robot vacuum scales refrigerators TV's And so on… to me it seems that one should have an option to block them permanently! In addition, if this device's art actually connecting to our networks ( ?) then why are you showing us this traffic noise?
New Poster

PSI have to admit I giggled when I saw that you have a Wi-Fi tooth brush Lol!
Contributor

Perhaps you don’t understand. XFi says they are connected to our network. We should not have to investigate when your state of the art xFi says they are connected. Fix the problem and stop telling us to work around your bad software.
Official Employee

Thank you for all of your posts and cooperation about this issue. We made a change on our end to ensure new device notifications are only sent after the device has been fully authenticated.

Fully authenticated devices have entered a valid WiFi password and will have an IP address assigned and displayed. If you come across a device that does not have an IP address, or you have any concerns about a device, please send me a "Private Message" with the Account holder's First and Last Name, and your billing zip code for verification.

Frequent Visitor

I appreciate how you have continued to monitor this conversation.  Too often these forums remain unvisited by official company representatives for too long.

Bugs can be expected in relatively new apps and it is helpful when users report them.  It is even more helpful when the developers of these apps contact the people who are using them to let them know of the issue and how it may be resolved.  Otherwise one random user after another reports the same experience.

I am pleased that in this case reporting the issue has resulted in the developer making changes in the app that should prevent future instances of the issue.  I personally have not encountered the issue again. 

Contributor

After a year of this security breach you say send me a private message. 

Official Employee

Thanks for your post, Fossilsol. Rest assured there was not a security breach. New device notifications were incorrectly being sent for devices that were only attempting to connect to a network; they were not in actuality connected. The recent change that was made corrected this and new device notifications should now only be sent after a device has been fully authenticated with a WiFi/network password.

New Poster

Although the fix for incorrect notifications is good, very late, but still good,  I think that a more concerning issue is how in the **** are these devices connecting to or even attemting to connect to our networks when, as in my case, wifi is turned off. If I'm not broadcasting wifi and only have hard line connections how is someone even able to see my network, much less attempt to login...??

New Poster

I had the same issue, with random devices connecting and using my data. In my house I have streaming devices a Chromecast & 2 Rokus, I feel that people are getting in thru those devices! I might be wrong but for example “Aydan’s Chromecast” which is my son’s room always shows as an open wifi hotspot. For example when you go into your phone to connect to wifi you see a list of open networks etc. “Aydan’s Chromecast” always shows open while plugged in doesnt even have to be on and when you connect there is no password needed! Thats weird to me
Highlighted
Official Employee

Hi @Peacefullover89,  thanks for writing that.  I would suggest reaching out to Chromecast and Roku to learn more about how their devices broadcast and how to make the changes you need.