Community Forum

modem won't let me change wifi device name

Valued Contributor

modem won't let me change wifi device name

My current DPC-3941T modem is acting like Beetlejuice or a spooky ghost. I have a number of devices listed on both the 2.4 and 5.0 wifi list. I decided to change the name of my phone on the list and changed it on the 2.4 list without any problem. But for some reason it won't allow me to change it on the 5.0 list. I x'd it out and it is taken off and then I click on the save settings and it comes back. I tried to just enter it as a new device and add it but it tells me it is already on the list.

I made sure that the phone is not connected to the 5.0 frequency when trying this change. I have also tried deleting it and then logging out and logging back into the utility but it just won't delete. Now when I look in the xFi app it is listed the way I want it named but I assume the xFi app is taking the name from the XfinityMobile app where it is listed corrrectly. (The reason I am trying to change the name of the phone in the modem utility is because I had changed the name in the XfinityMobile app long ago but never updated the modem. Since I was in the modem utility on  another thread issue I decided to correct the name.)

This isn't a critical issue but I was curious if there is some step I am skipping or if anyone else ran ino this problem before. Thanks

Silver Problem Solver

Re: modem won't let me change wifi device name

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

My current DPC-3941T modem is acting like Beetlejuice or a spooky ghost. I have a number of devices listed on both the 2.4 and 5.0 wifi list. I decided to change the name of my phone on the list and changed it on the 2.4 list without any problem. But for some reason it won't allow me to change it on the 5.0 list. I x'd it out and it is taken off and then I click on the save settings and it comes back. I tried to just enter it as a new device and add it but it tells me it is already on the list.

I made sure that the phone is not connected to the 5.0 frequency when trying this change. I have also tried deleting it and then logging out and logging back into the utility but it just won't delete. Now when I look in the xFi app it is listed the way I want it named but I assume the xFi app is taking the name from the XfinityMobile app where it is listed corrrectly. (The reason I am trying to change the name of the phone in the modem utility is because I had changed the name in the XfinityMobile app long ago but never updated the modem. Since I was in the modem utility on  another thread issue I decided to correct the name.)

This isn't a critical issue but I was curious if there is some step I am skipping or if anyone else ran ino this problem before. Thanks

Older wifi devices only support 2.4.  What device do you have?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Valued Contributor

My cellphone is the Xfinity LG X charge. I get 2.4 & 5.0 it is just on the 5.0 section of the utility it won't let me change the name. No idea why.

Silver Problem Solver

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

My cellphone is the Xfinity LG X charge. I get 2.4 & 5.0 it is just on the 5.0 section of the utility it won't let me change the name. No idea why.

Could you post a screenshot of the device on the web?

https://internet.xfinity.com/

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

Could you post a screenshot of the device on the web?

I'm not sure what you are asking. I would send you a photo of my cellphone but the pix I try to link is too large  a file and it won't let me attach it.

https://internet.xfinity.com/

Silver Problem Solver

Never mind. Entered in error again!