Community Forum

iPhone X will connect to xfinity network but no internet data

Contributor

iPhone X will connect to xfinity network but no internet data

A random problem that has me completely puzzled.  Hope someone can help.  My phone is

iPhone X

iOS 12.3.1

Verizon Wirelss Network

VPN - not connected

Profile - XFINITY WIFI

TV Provider - Comcast Xfinity

So, when I am out running, I frequently lose my internet music streaming.  I get a "You are not connected to the internet" error message.  This could be Apple Music, Sirius XM, Pandora - does not matter which app I'm using.

When I lose the internet, I see that my WiFi Netwrok is listed as "xfinitity"  I have network "bars"  but no internet data.   I have also verified that it is not just music app related - ESPN will not work either

If I turn the wifi completely off, music will immediately start playing over the Cellualr LTE network.  The music apps work perfectly over the Xfinity wifi on my home netwrok.  So It is definitely not an app issue. 

So what is the problem?  Am I missing a setting to automatically connect to the xfinity wifi signals offered around town?  If it is not connected, should not the cellular data take over automatically?  Any idea what to do?  It's very frustrating to randomly lose my music on my run and then try to trouble shoot on the fly.

Tim

Official Employee

Re: iPhone X will connect to xfinity network but no internet data

Greetings, ust82gopher! I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us here on the forums. I hope you are having an amazing day. I apologize to hear that you are not getting the internet from time to time from the hotspots. That's certainly frustrating. I know it drives me batty when my music cuts out during a workout. Have you tried to disconnect and then reconnect manually to see if the internet cuts back on? Also, do you have the Xfinity Wifi app installed as well?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Yes I do have several Xfinity App installed.

Xfinity - My Account

Xfinity - xFi

Xfinity - TV Remote

Xfiity - Authenticator

Xfinity - Hotspots

Xfinity - Connect

If I toggle the wifi off / on it still will not connect.

Tim

Official Employee

ust82gopher, unfortunately if you are outside of the range of one of the xfinitywifi hotspots, you will not be able to connect to them. You may need to check your device settings and ensure that Wi-Fi Assist is turned on so that your device automatically switches to data when you are not in range of a hotspot. Please give that a try and let us know if that helps. 

We look forward to your update! Smiley Happy

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Nope.  You're missing my problem.

I am in range of an Xfinity wifi spot - that's why on my iPhone's Setting>Wi-Fi  it says "xfinitywifi" as the network.  And, I have signal strength bars. 

But for some reason, my iPhone does NOT always get internet even though it says I am on the network.  I get the error message "You are not connected to the internet"

My theory is that there is some authentication that needs to happen when my iPhone sees an "xfinitywifi" network in order to join the network.  Otherwise, anyone, including non Comcast customers, could connect to the free xfinitywifi.  

And for some reason, that authentication does not always work on my iPhone.  Trying to figure out why so I know what to do to fix it.

Official Employee

My apologies for any misunderstanding and I appreciate you explaining further. There are times when you may be within range of a network but may not be able to connect if it is already supporting the max number of customers at that time. The best way to ensure you connect to the networks when they are available and there are open spots, is to use the hotspot app that you already mentioned you have. By signing into that app, it will automatically authenticate and log you into those hotspots each time it jumps to a new one. 

Contributor

Thanks for the idea.  I have only used the Hotspot app a few times - and only when I was specifically looking for wifi when my LTE signal was not available.

Just to make sure I did this right

I open the Hotspot App.  It asks me to sign in.  I do with my Comcast account info.  I then asked me to download a profile.  I said yes.  So now in my Setting > General > Profile is says Xfinity WIFI   It has downloaded profiles for 4 networks - xfinity.com, xfinitywifi, XFINITY and CableWiFi

So after I do this, I assume I can quit the Hotspot app because the profiles have been installed.  Is this correct?

Tim

Official Employee

ust82gopher wrote: 

Thanks for the idea.  I have only used the Hotspot app a few times - and only when I was specifically looking for wifi when my LTE signal was not available.

Just to make sure I did this right

I open the Hotspot App.  It asks me to sign in.  I do with my Comcast account info.  I then asked me to download a profile.  I said yes.  So now in my Setting > General > Profile is says Xfinity WIFI   It has downloaded profiles for 4 networks - xfinity.com, xfinitywifi, XFINITY and CableWiFi

So after I do this, I assume I can quit the Hotspot app because the profiles have been installed.  Is this correct?

That's correct! Also please make sure you're within 250 feet of the hotspot to connect properly, feel free to reach back out to us here if you need anything further. Have a good day. 

Highlighted
Official Employee

Hi ust82gopher, unfortunately I don't see a private message or a reply back from you here so I will close this thread as completed. Feel free to create another post if you require further assistance, have a good day.