Community Forum

i cannot connect my Jinvoo smart plug after changing my Router

Highlighted
New Poster

i cannot connect my Jinvoo smart plug after changing my Router

i cannot connect my jinvoo smart plug at home after changing router  to XFi( look like a box) from old one i had for years.  i was able to connect my blink w/o problem.  i took my smart plug to the office where i have old looking router, but having both 2.4 an 5GHz, and was able to connect.

but  when i took jinvoo  back home, i cannot make connection.

can somebody help me? please.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: i cannot connect my Jinvoo smart plug after changing my Router

@kyungjachung wrote:

i cannot connect my jinvoo smart plug at home after changing router  to XFi( look like a box) from old one i had for years.  i was able to connect my blink w/o problem.  i took my smart plug to the office where i have old looking router, but having both 2.4 an 5GHz, and was able to connect.

but  when i took jinvoo  back home, i cannot make connection.

can somebody help me? please.

Do you have one or two SSID's?  If you have one, you should still be able to connect a 2.4 device to the single SSID with the proper password.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Official Employee

Hi @kyungjachung, as long as you do not have xFi Pods, you can split your 2.4 and 5 GHz bands into separate networks via the xFi App. To do this, open xFi and select Network > Edit WiFi. You should see a checkbox at the top of the onscreen modal that says "Use different names for your 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi." 

Check this box and give your 5GHz network a different name or password (adding a '-5' to the name for example). Once you do this, you should see 2 networks and will then be able to add the device to your network.

We do recommend that you go back in and combine your bands so that you can take advantage of our band steering technology on the xFi Gateway. Band Steering allows you to manage only 1 network name/password for the both the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks and let's your Gateway determine the best connection for devices on your network. 

If you have xFi Pods, the process for doing this will be a little different. Please let me know if this is the case and I would be happy to help. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

i have one SSID, i put in correct password, i still cannot get Jinvoo connected

kyungjachung

Highlighted
New Poster

ComcastDanielle gave me some insight what the problem was, and how to solve it. But the advice was not complete for me to solve the problem. I tried to split 2.4 and 5, but when I did that, it gave me problem connecting to WiFi itself. So, I called the Xfinity spoke w tech Carlos. He splitted 2.4 and 5 and gave them different names. Then, I was able to connect the smart plugs. We experimented again by combining 2.4 and 5 after the connection, then the smart plug did not work. I decided to leave 2.4 and 5 splitted. Now it's working fine. I feel better now.
Highlighted
New Poster

I have the pods and they are working well for me. However I am not able to connect my jinvoo smart plugs. The post said the procedure was different from temporarily changing names on 2.4 and 5 channels. I was wondering what the procedure was.