Community Forum

authorizing guests on xfi

Frequent Visitor

authorizing guests on xfi

I was under the impression that when I had a guest in my home, I could go to the xfi app on my phone and authorize them on my wireless network, rather than having to give them the password. Am I just missing it? I could not find a way to do it.

Official Employee

Re: authorizing guests on xfi

Hi CDEHRLICH, in order for guests to be able to access your home network, they will still need to know the WiFi password. 

xFi gives you more control over the devices that are connected to your network. Once a device joins your network, you can control their access by pausing internet activity, turning on parental controls, etc. 

If you prefer not to give your network name and password, guests can always connect to the XFINITY Hot Spot (xfinitywifi). 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

If I give a guest the password and register their device, can't they just access my network with another device (since they have my password)? Now I don't have control of their new device.

Official Employee

Hi JABCO, yes this is true. Once you supply the network password to someone, they will be able to connect any device they would like to your network. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!