Community Forum

Xfinity xFi app

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity xFi app

Has the xFi app problem been resolved ?  When I try to use the xFi app , it logs on but then says there is a problem .. try again or call xfinity.  This is true on several mobile devices and even my flat screen with xFi advantage tv service. My pods came in and I cannot install them without the app and I cannot manage my xFi account as well.

So far I have spent several hours a day for several days on the phone with techs and even they even sent a tech to my house for several hours.  At one point ... while resetting - unplugging my modem I completely lost internet service which I had to fix myself ( dns got odd address installed and had to reinstall  the modem ). My phone tech apologized and said he’d get back to me in an hour .. yesterday ....... and never did.  . I still have the problem but everyone has kinda drifted away and nothing seems to be happening.  Do I just send back the pods and learn to live without the xFi app and forget about the product working or is there a possibility of a resolution ? I’m at my wits end with this ... maybe a nuclear option .... full factory reset .... or technicolor modem replacement is in order . Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Contributor

Re: Xfinity xFi app

Same problem here, and I just got the blasted thing.

After a few hours on the phone myself, with my call being elevated to 'level 2' then elevated to 'national', she confessed this is a system wide problem for many peopel that they don't know how to fix yet.

sigh.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks southendjohn .... looks as though you are spot on since there doesn’t seem to be any cure so far. 

Feels like this has left me  swinging in the wind , paying big money to use a significantly defective product.  I also cannot get my TV Remote app to function properly. Or should I say “ they “ cannot. For years I have used that app with my mobile devices as my TV guide .. it was visually far superior to the local cable guide and I could tap to change channels easily and it worked great. Since I installed xFi the app can no longer find my TV set properly , seemingly totally confused. I can easily remotely access - load my tv with apps like YouTube , Pandora and SomaFM , so I know my tv is properly online and accessible..... still the tv remote app has lost its ability since xFi showed up. It’s very disappointing and irritating. 

There are a lot of great features  with xFi like the blinding web speed , but I wish they could get those other important features working.  

Contributor

with CC it feels like the left hand doesn't knwo what the right hand is doing.

on Sunday (during dinner, of course) CC called abck asking if I still had the xFi problem on my phone.   She said I must have a phone problem - even though if the xFi app isn't working, then you calso can't manage your network through their internet page on their web site - it has nothing to do with the iphone.   At that point she hung up on me.  nice.

But to the topic - I complained about this to the CC rep on twitter, who confirmed again it's a known national problem with some accounts and they are 'working on it'.   So second point of veritifcation it's not just us.   Surprising they still can't figure it out though.    sigh.

- John

Frequent Visitor

I suspect that if I asked to try a new router  and erased all the cookies in my setup device. That many if not all the missing features would return. I think they have planted one of the inappropriate programs in my router. Don’t want to cold boot back to factory because what if it didn’t work then I’d be off the air. Not to mention all the hours lost reinstalling 40 devices on the wifi.

While working on the xfi problem the reps caused me to completely lose all internet access, couldn’t figure it out , said they’d call me back in an hour several days ago. Silence ever since. 

I had to repair it myself. I noticed that my dns addresses had improper addessses in them ... discovered they parked me in the walled garden. I installed the proper primary and secondary dns addresses and reinstalled and got my internet access restored myself.  Still have the original issue of no xFi app.  I’ll post up the results of trying a loaner technicolor router.

Frequent Visitor

Oooops ..

just noticed I posted most of this already .... sorry about that. Thanks. 

Frequent Visitor

Finally the sweet feel of success. After all those growing pain hours of installation ...... I’m up and running. XFi fires up finally and even got my pods installed. No more sitting around in a box uninstalled. 

My head is spinning so much has sprung to life. The apps, xFi and even my test security camera is up and running. Feels really good. 

Still have the problem of my xfinity TV guide app , tv remote, not syncing to my equipment but that is the last bug and a minor one. They did to manage get all the dead tv boxes off the devices list, but it remains unpopulated for now. I’ll work on that later. Feels like I’m getting what they promised now. Blinding speed, remote management of my system, and they are stopping all the nasty hackers like they promised. Had a handful of hacking attempts stopped and several dangerous web links stopped .... exactly what it should be. My frown turning upside down now .... thank you xfinity. AAAAA+++++

Contributor

Hey - came back from vacation to fine mine now works as well 

Frequent Visitor

Good for you too John ...  it’s nice to be able to enjoy such a super fast , feature rich , protected network connection again.  

Thanks

Frequent Visitor

I am having the  same issue as this.. xFi app will not start and I cannot connect to Wifi through the web portal either.  After multiple calls and hours on the phone, xFinity support has no clue.   

For those on this thread... do you know what evetually resolved your issue?  Is is a DNS issue as one poster described?  How can I set my DNS back to original?  Thanks for any info, this is beyond frustrating!

Contributor

I was told the problem was on Comcast's end.   I changed NOTHING on any network setting - the app just started workign one day.

What you can try is on this page, in the upper right, there is a wifi icon.   click it.    You should be able to control your wifi through the web jsut like on an app.   For us it did NOT work through the web either.   If yours does work through the web but not through the app, that may indicate a different problem.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the reply. I cannot connect at all, either through the xFinity web portal or the App. Yet Comcast support is clueless about a fix.
Frequent Visitor

Be careful what you ask for. I did nothing, xFi fixed it on their end. My brand new xFi installation. Thanks to the now working xFi app I discovered a plague of rats. 200,000 attempts to hack my system, people signing into my admin xFi router account between one a.m. and 5a.m. When I’m asleep and people watching my four xFi cams all day and night , especially when I’m asleep after midnight. Had to relocate the indoor cams to the outside to use them at all. Kept them covered with socks when indoors. I have computer generated 10 digit passwords, doesn’t seem to matter at all. Changed them and it still happens. What looks like a ddos attack frequently slowing my 500mbps per device speed down to 9mbps much of the day. Web looks like shocking mess since I installed xFi. All revealed by the now working xFi app.
Frequent Visitor

I guess it’s a matter of perspective. I’d rather have the app and the portal working and know what’s going on, rather than having no clue at all. Plus, I’m paying for the controls the App and my login to the portal should provide.
Frequent Visitor

Yea we’ll ... now ... my current activity log is only showing wanattack drop and two others on a daily basis. All current logging stopped working along with about 10 days most recent days of hacking activity erased from router logs. Is it the hackers trying to hide themselves or is this “ management “ , by xFi ... some of that protection you are paying for ? All the while my user - device activity bars off the scale with activity at inappropriate times ? One xFi camera alone is 26% of my activity in the xFi app and no one here is using it. Whatever... doesn’t seem like I’m getting much of that advertised protection.
Frequent Visitor

One useful hint: when the hackers ( ? ) have ddos slowed my device speed down fro 500k to 9k or less .... I have two IPhones and two IPads here ( mine and my wife’s) one pair ( wife’s work devices) are AT&T and mine are Verizon. All four have hot spots. When the xFi speed tanks we just fire up a hot spot and keep on keeping on u til the xFi speed resumes. Even tho there is an evident ddos happening , because my xFi bandwidth is 1250k , much of the time I have 20 or 30 k remaining anyway. This is still plenty to get most things done. I’m sure xfi is aware of this ( I hope ) and will deal with it. Still there is lots to live about xFi. Remote viewing protected cams ( ? ), super smooth high speeds ( when no ddos ) , cameras on my smart TVs screens... the xFi app , zillions of channels on tv including a hefty pile of pay channels and on demand. Almost too much to mention. That part has to make you smile.
Contributor

Curious where you see this outside activity?  (which tabls/etc under xFi can I find it to check my own)  I only see my devices...

Frequent Visitor

Open your xFi app to the overview page and swipe to the left ( where the cute user icons are ) to see what mounted devices have been most active . You’ll see percentages of  the most active ones. Then open the devices page immediately below and see your lists of devices. Touch the right hand arrow on each device to open a graph of the activity of that device ... placed at the time of day it happened.   Right now I have two cameras equaling all the activity of two other major mounted devices and on each device in the device list most of that activity happened between midnight and five am . While I was asleep.

Secondly ... open your Safari browser and type in the 10.0.0.1 address to access the admin pages of your router.  In  The left hand column choose the last entry called troubleshooting. In that page look at all three logs , one for today ,yesterday and last week for all three ( 9 checks ) to check out the activity. On the first page you’ll see ( supposedly) see how many times you have logged in and at what times. I have login and logouts between midnight and seven am when I was asleep. On the last log page that shows web activity of the router is where you’ll see how many times you have been attacked . It’ll say blocked by router on those, the ones that got thru are considered legit and not mentioned. 

Lastly if you are doing the xfinity speed test from the web ... if your upload speed is the same or lower than your download speed, rule of thumb is web problems or likely a ddos attack to mess with you. 

Also disturbing to me is when checking the devices percentage of use, all totaled only equals about 80% of activity and 20% is not listed or unknown.

hope that’s what you wanted .

best wishes