Community Forum

Xfi pods seem online, but no connection

Contributor

Xfi pods seem online, but no connection

Got 6 pods a few weeks back, installation was easy, except one pod had issues. This pod had to be re-assigned or restarted by Comcast support and then seemed to work.

However, since then I have had issues off and on which puzzle me.

When sitting close to this particular pod, my phone connects and I'm on wifi. Then after a few hours, trying to connect again (aka, picking up the phone and checking mail, web or the xfi app), the phone shows that it is connected to the net (wireless symbol top left on iphone), but nothing works. Anything web related does not load and the xfi app either spins or askes me to sign in.

Going to a different room or closer to the gateway, I connect without issues on a different pod or gateway. In the xfi up, the pod seems to be online and with good connection. But nothing works through it. Unplugging it and leaving it disconnected for a day, then plugging it back in, seems to solve the problem for a few days, then it all comes back.

Similar, having had connection to that pod, then leaving the house, and coming back, connecting to the wifi, phone shows strong connection, but nothing works via wifi. Now, I'm sitting close to the pod in question.  Disconnecting wifi, then reconnecting solves connection issue, but I'm now connected to a pod further away. Checking with xfi app, pod is online and has one smart switch listed as device (2.4 ghz though, phone is 5 ghz).

Could the pod be flakey ? What else could be the issue.

Contributor

Re: Xfi pods seem online, but no connection

in addition to this, devices seem to be connected, but can't be accessed. For example: My Nest was connected to one pod for weeks, then all of a sudden (after plugging in that particular troublesome pod again) connect to this pod (as it was the closest). Last night, the nest was "online", but did not take input via phone, no feedback etc. This morning, it had automatically connect to a different pod and all was fine. 

Thinking something is wrong with the pod. 

Also, phone connects to different pods automatically depending on where I am in the house, however, when phone is connected to this particular pod (and the pod seems to flake out), the phone stays "connected" to this pod, and doesn't switch to a different one. 

Weird

New Poster

I know your pain! I've had my pods for about 3 months now. They were great when I first got them, but now are nothing more than fancy wall socket decorations! I upgraded to gig speeds shortly before getting the pods, and then was advised to buy the pods by support to support my doorbell camera even though my phone got 1/2 bars wifi strength or better standing next to it.

I've had numerous internet problems ever since upgrading. They finally got those fixed two weeks ago and now I am realizing this issue was always masked by that. I sit outside and show perfect connection, but no throughput on any device that's been connected for a sustained period. Disconnect and reconnect fixes it for a short period.. then right back to square one. 

What really irritates me is that noone on support seems to know enough about the pods to help me troubleshoot.. after spending a lot of extra money to buy them!! Even MORE upsetting.. the xfi app used to tell you what your pod signal strength was to help you move and improve it. All the system tells you now is that they are connected! Nothing about how that connection is.

Tags (4)
New Poster

I could not have described the issue any better than you did. Definitely watching this thread.
Contributor

Re: Xfi pods seem online, but no connection UPDATE

After the original problems persisted and comcast online support was no help (long story, see other post), I was told that some of the xfinity routers had firmware issues. So I went to the local store and was able to completely exchange my router and the pods (which also had a defective unit).  Service at the store was exceptional and the rep knew his stuff. 

Returning home I set up the router and the pods. As the new pods interfered with the previous setup in the comcast system, I needed online support to fix this. This time, the rep was knowledgable and we got this done. Since then, the system works great. Once in a while there seem to be updates pushed down to the system (at night between 2 am and 4 am, when I see the lights on the pods blinking). Speed throughout the house is great, no more dropped connections caused by the pods etc. My smart devices find the connections and those change sometimes (like smartswitch connected to pod1 and then two days later to pod 2 ) depending on signal. Yes, the signal in the house is not the same as the signal coming directly out of the router, but that was to be expected.  So far so good and the last 3 months have been without a single issue. 

So was it the firmware ? Was it a defective pod in the chain ? I don't know...but problems are solved 

Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: Xfi pods seem online, but no connection UPDATE

gcto1 - Thanks for taking the time to let us know!  Glad to hear the Pods are now working.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!