Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Xfi pods and extenders

Regular Visitor

Xfi pods and extenders

Is there any available mesh pods or extenders that work with the new xfinity xfi system?

Expert
Regular Visitor

Re: Xfi pods and extenders

I don't see any response to my specific question.  Why is comcast claiming I have accepted a solution when there is none!

hobbsdl wrote:

Is there any available mesh pods or extenders that work with the new xfinity xfi system?

Expert

hobbsdl wrote:

I don't see any response to my specific question.  Why is comcast claiming I have accepted a solution when there is none!

hobbsdl wrote:

This thread is not marked as solved.  The link I posted mentioned that the Plume pod will work.

Regular Visitor

Any others such as net gear?
Expert

FWIW, the "Plume" pods will function but they can't be managed by "Xfi".

Frequent Visitor

Comcast doesn't do anything that limits your ability to install different WiFi options. You can install anything you want as long as you have the necessary knowledge to make the required networking configuration changes. I'm running six Plume pods which replaced three eero access points which replaced two "standard" WiFi routers/access points. None of those changes were required, I just like experimenting when different options.

But you are on your own. Comcast doesn't (yet) have a whole-house WiFi service offering. If you want a mesh or other multi-access point solution, you've got to work figure it out. I found both eero and Plume to be helpful with any questions. The most basic implementation is to install the new equipment in bridge mode and let it run side-by-side with your Comcast equipment with the same network name. All you need is an open Ethernet port on your current network. A more advanced implementation would be to also disable WiFi on your Comcast equipment to reduce interference and give you a single point of WiFi management.

Be aware that mesh isn't "magic". In particular, neither eero nor Plume provided much help out of the box with figuring out the number and placement of wireless points beyond a couple of very broad rules of thumb. Tech support was able to provide some additional assistance but it's still more art than science. I have Ethernet and MoCA connections in most rooms in my house which largely made placement a non-issue which makes placement much easier. I experimented with wireless "backhaul" (the connections between the wireless access points) just to get some experience with it but switched to wired as it is about 1000x easier and better.

New Poster

I am told that maybe by the end of the year Comcast may have the mesh pods? We will see

New Poster

I'm using Plume as well with the wifi turned off on the router. My wireless signal and latency has improved dramatically. However, the big thing for me is that xFi will not see/manage any device NOT connected directly to the router - in my instance a bridged device. So it won't see anything connected to a repeater either. They need to fix that.
New Poster

sheletta1 wrote:

I am told that maybe by the end of the year Comcast may have the mesh pods? We will see

Is there a rough ETA yet for when these will be available?

New Poster

Brian Roberts, CMCSA CEO, pitched xFI and xFI extenders on CNBC Squawk Box this morning.  laims they have 4-packs sitting on the shelf.

New Poster

Just went to my Xfinity store.  No four packs.  He sent us to Best Buy.  They had expensive add ons. $400 range.  For that I'll just hang on to my Orbi until Xfinity actually carries something for xfi.  

New Poster

I stopped waiting for xfinity to get around to this and just went to the Plume website and bought them.  Works like a charm and it's silly how easy it was to set up, almost to the point of saying there is no set up, they set themselves up, the hardest part about it was looking up the android app needed to do it.

New Poster

I work for Comcast and the xfi pods just became available for employees to buy and give feedback on.  They come in 3 and 6 packs.

Expert

mcfatty wrote:

I work for Comcast and the xfi pods just became available for employees to buy and give feedback on.  They come in 3 and 6 packs.

Darn.  I just bought a Netgear Orbi tri-band.  I have an issue with the XB6; I have an extensive ethernet network and as of now, I couldn't replace my TG1682G with the XB6.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Xfinity-XB6-Arris-TG3482G-LAN-Interface-Issues/m-p/29...

Frequent Visitor

McFatty,

What has been your experience with the pods?

Any specifics on performance, # of pods 3 vs 6?

Also, it states that you must have your 2.4 and 5GHz networks using the same SSID.   Any issue there?

Official Employee

Anon186362 wrote:

McFatty,

What has been your experience with the pods?

Any specifics on performance, # of pods 3 vs 6?

Also, it states that you must have your 2.4 and 5GHz networks using the same SSID.   Any issue there?

They work very well. I just installed a 3 pack at my house. Set up is less than 10 minutes. Check this thread for availability.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-xFi/Xfinity-xFi-Pods-Now-Available-in-Select-Markets/td-p/30156...

New Poster

Sounds wonderful. What is the scheduled roll out for the Philadelphia area?
Frequent Visitor

I am literally across the street from chicago houses. I am 15 minutes from Downtown Chicago, I am in park ridge, yet i cannot order the pods, can a Comcast mod please reach out to me to assist me with this??

Expert
Moved:

Regular Visitor

I’m curious if anyone has figured out how devices (e.g. - iPad, laptop, etc) know what wi-fi frequency they are attaching to when using the same name/pw for both the 2,4mhz and 5mhz radios.

For example, now in my home I try to isolate the more utilitarian devices to the 2.4mhz radio (has a separate name), and keep the 5mhz radio isolated for devices with greater speed requirements, like my streaming devices (e.g. - Amazon Fire TV, TiVo, etc.) and the devices they stream to.

This may be bad practice, I don’t know. I don’t find much written on best practices with multi-radio wireless installations.

But with the xFi Pods rolling out, and requiring a unified naming scheme for the radio bands, I just am not clear on how traffic gets managed to optimize performance.
Regular Visitor

Has anyone discovered whether the xFi Pods can be used with a standard xFinity Gateway (XB3), or whether they require the new xFinity Advanced Gateway (XB6)?
Official Employee

Yes they can, that’s what my personal setup is. As long as it’s not a 3939 model
Regular Visitor

Are the xfi pods compatible with the XB6 and gigibit service?

Expert

A recent post in this forum says they are not yet compatible with the XB6.

New Poster

If I purchase the plume pods from plume,when the upgrade comes through for my chi router will the cig router be able to manage them
New Poster

Sorry, auto correct. I have an xb3 router 4931t I think
Tags (1)
Official Employee

@Rlh77 wrote:
If I purchase the plume pods from plume,when the upgrade comes through for my chi router will the cig router be able to manage them

Yes, you can use Plume pods with your Gateway to extend WiFi coverage in your home. However, they will not integrate with xFi, meaning that you will not be able to manage them through the xFi mobile app or web experience. Also, depending on your network setup after installing the Plume pods, you may not be able to manage all of your connected devices through xFi.

xFi Pods have been specifically designed to work with your Gateway and integrate seamlessly into xFi so that you can manage them through the xFi mobile app or web experience. We anticipate that xFi Pods should be available in your area within the next month or so.

Regular Visitor

Thanks @ComcastBrittany.

So just to confirm, the xfi pods ARE compatible with gigabit service AND the XB6 modem?

Official Employee

@FlashGordon57 wrote:
I’m curious if anyone has figured out how devices (e.g. - iPad, laptop, etc) know what wi-fi frequency they are attaching to when using the same name/pw for both the 2,4mhz and 5mhz radios.

For example, now in my home I try to isolate the more utilitarian devices to the 2.4mhz radio (has a separate name), and keep the 5mhz radio isolated for devices with greater speed requirements, like my streaming devices (e.g. - Amazon Fire TV, TiVo, etc.) and the devices they stream to.

This may be bad practice, I don’t know. I don’t find much written on best practices with multi-radio wireless installations.

But with the xFi Pods rolling out, and requiring a unified naming scheme for the radio bands, I just am not clear on how traffic gets managed to optimize performance.

This is a great question. While you can keep your 2.4 and 5 GHz networks separate with different WiFi names/passwords, our recommendation is to combine into a single WiFi network name with one password across both bands. This is because our Gateways include functionality to determine the optimal WiFi connection for client devices, balancing signal strength and congestion of the WiFi network in the home.  If additional WiFi coverage is needed throughout your home you can add xFi Pods, however this will require you to combine your bands.

Official Employee

@Nitsuj2014 wrote:

Thanks @ComcastBrittany.

So just to confirm, the xfi pods ARE compatible with gigabit service AND the XB6 modem?

Apologies I missed this post. Yes, xFi Pods are compatible with the XB6 and Gigabit service in the 3 markets as mentioned in this post: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-xFi/Xfinity-xFi-Pods-Updated-Market-Availability-and-Gateway/td...

Contributor

As I understand it each pod has an included GigE port. Will said port be activated to allow wired connections or will it be deactivated since normally the Plume pods (which these are) have that feature to connect to a modem or router in "bridge" or oher mode to replace the wireles system. I am really hoping that the Ethernet port will be activated since I will be installing one in my Man Cave and have several things that have Ethernet ports and would be smarter to use that instead of wireless. Would be nice to have a wired jack in some rooms for devices that have poor or old WiFi chips etc.

Also I have heard rumor that nationwide rollout is imminent and may be as early as mid-this month. I can hardly wait. Though I have decent coverage in my home I'm not getting GigE speeds to my GigE service from all areas of the house and coverage can be spotty in the far reaching corners (xFi is performing a bit better in 5g than Apple but much worse than Apple on 2.4 I run both silmultaniously in different non conflicting channels and the combination works well). I'm ordering then the second they bcome avalable. Entertained getting Plume, but you end up paying more since they "replace" your existing WiFi, don't indirate into the Comtastic Experience and I don't really like any of the colors for my home. If they work the Apple Time Capsule will not only be in "bridge" mode but I will also turn off it's radio and go with the xFi system only with only one SSID.

Regular Visitor

Hi, when I got my XB3 replacement Gateway, I was confused by the single network name and asked Xfinity Rep to separate the 2.4 & 5 radio bands. Since I plan to get xFi Pods, should I now call to combine the network names from two to one?

Official Employee

@lamirab wrote:

Hi, when I got my XB3 replacement Gateway, I was confused by the single network name and asked Xfinity Rep to separate the 2.4 & 5 radio bands. Since I plan to get xFi Pods, should I now call to combine the network names from two to one?

Yes, if you plan to purchase xFi Pods, you will need to combine your 2.4 and 5 GHz bands in order to activate the Pods. 

Contributor

Other than a kudo, crickets. Anyone know of the Ethernet port on the pods will be active?

@Mr_Kludge wrote:

As I understand it each pod has an included GigE port. Will said port be activated to allow wired connections or will it be deactivated since normally the Plume pods (which these are) have that feature to connect to a modem or router in "bridge" or oher mode to replace the wireles system. I am really hoping that the Ethernet port will be activated since I will be installing one in my Man Cave and have several things that have Ethernet ports and would be smarter to use that instead of wireless. Would be nice to have a wired jack in some rooms for devices that have poor or old WiFi chips etc.

Also I have heard rumor that nationwide rollout is imminent and may be as early as mid-this month. I can hardly wait. Though I have decent coverage in my home I'm not getting GigE speeds to my GigE service from all areas of the house and coverage can be spotty in the far reaching corners (xFi is performing a bit better in 5g than Apple but much worse than Apple on 2.4 I run both silmultaniously in different non conflicting channels and the combination works well). I'm ordering then the second they bcome avalable. Entertained getting Plume, but you end up paying more since they "replace" your existing WiFi, don't indirate into the Comtastic Experience and I don't really like any of the colors for my home. If they work the Apple Time Capsule will not only be in "bridge" mode but I will also turn off it's radio and go with the xFi system only with only one SSID.

Contributor

@Mr_Kludge wrote:

Other than a kudo, crickets. Anyone know of the Ethernet port on the pods will be active?

@Mr_Kludge wrote:

Answering my own question. Chatted with a tech today about some other issues and he indicated he has worked with those in the current xFi Pod service area and he can confirm that at least for now the Ethernet port is active and works. This is great news. I do have a Ethernet over Power Line mesh network, but it's limited to 10/100 and I want my GigE. I figure "if you got 'em you might as well smoke 'em"

New Poster

OK, got xFi Pods and Gigabit service here in Charleston, SC.  Set up for Pods was super easy, it automates the changes needed for your gateway/router by combining the 2.4 & 5.0 network names as well as put it in bridge mode.  It appears better than the plume pods as it's desigend specifically for the xfinity gateway so you don't waste a pod by having to wire it close to the router.  It's tricky setting up the location for the 6 pods as you only get a bad, fair, good, great signal indicators and they seem to change over time so there must be lots of potential inferenence bouncing around.  The only downside so far is my wireless devices close to the gateway is pulling 350Mbps where as the same devices on the pods are 10x less, around 30-40Mbps.  I only have a 2200 sq ft house with 6 pods so I can't imagine them not all being strong, maybe there is a "too close" issue that I'm not aware of.  I'm tempted to return them and go back to the original router/gateway setup or try other mesh solutions.  The pods do have ethernet active so I can drive my sons xBox wired to the pod but its the wireless link gateway that constantly kicks him off his games.  The plume pod spec seems like I should be getting 4-5x more bandwidth so maybe there is a fix here.  Any ideas?

Contributor

@haysgreg wrote:

OK, got xFi Pods and Gigabit service here in Charleston, SC.  Set up for Pods was super easy, it automates the changes needed for your gateway/router by combining the 2.4 & 5.0 network names as well as put it in bridge mode.  It appears better than the plume pods as it's desigend specifically for the xfinity gateway so you don't waste a pod by having to wire it close to the router.  It's tricky setting up the location for the 6 pods as you only get a bad, fair, good, great signal indicators and they seem to change over time so there must be lots of potential inferenence bouncing around.  The only downside so far is my wireless devices close to the gateway is pulling 350Mbps where as the same devices on the pods are 10x less, around 30-40Mbps.  I only have a 2200 sq ft house with 6 pods so I can't imagine them not all being strong, maybe there is a "too close" issue that I'm not aware of.  I'm tempted to return them and go back to the original router/gateway setup or try other mesh solutions.  The pods do have ethernet active so I can drive my sons xBox wired to the pod but its the wireless link gateway that constantly kicks him off his games.  The plume pod spec seems like I should be getting 4-5x more bandwidth so maybe there is a fix here.  Any ideas?

I think your problem is too many pods too close together and you are getting co-channel interferance. Mine are on their way and I only ordered 3 for a 3150sq' rambler. I get decent 350-500mb in my basement not directly below the XB6 and hoping to improve that and in some far reaches in the house. XB6 is in the office on the main floor off-center. Plan one for the great room next to it, one in the man cave diectly below and one in my sons en-suite that does not have optimal coverage.

I did not know that the gateway needs to be in "bridge" mode, but it makes sense. I have a custom gateway setup; different private address space on the LAN, have 2.4 and 5g forced to specific channels though I do use a common SSID for both bands. I also have an Apple TimeCapsule (in bridge mode--hence the forces channels to avoid conflicts on both bands) also running for it's backup capability. I might have to turn the radios off on it to get things to work.

New Poster

I'll try to remove a couple and see.  The directions I got was to keep them 40 feet apart and no more than 2 walls between them.  Not sure how a 2nd story affects it.  They are much less range than an extender thus the "one in every room" concept.  

Official Employee

@Mr_Kludge wrote:

@haysgreg wrote:

I think your problem is too many pods too close together and you are getting co-channel interferance. Mine are on their way and I only ordered 3 for a 3150sq' rambler. I get decent 350-500mb in my basement not directly below the XB6 and hoping to improve that and in some far reaches in the house. XB6 is in the office on the main floor off-center. Plan one for the great room next to it, one in the man cave diectly below and one in my sons en-suite that does not have optimal coverage.

I did not know that the gateway needs to be in "bridge" mode, but it makes sense. I have a custom gateway setup; different private address space on the LAN, have 2.4 and 5g forced to specific channels though I do use a common SSID for both bands. I also have an Apple TimeCapsule (in bridge mode--hence the forces channels to avoid conflicts on both bands) also running for it's backup capability. I might have to turn the radios off on it to get things to work.

Hi Mr_Kludge - Please note, in order to use xFi and xFi Pods, your Gateway cannot be in bridge mode. 

Official Employee

haysgreg -- 

Please let us know if removing a few of the Pods helps! 

Please keep in mind the following -- after removing some of the Pods, you may not notice an immediate change in performance, as it may take some time for your network to optimize.  Try giving it about 24 hours.

Also, xFi Pods are not intended to provide the maximum speed of your Internet speed tier throughout your home. For example, if you have a speed tier that provides download speeds up to 200 Mbps, xFi Pods will not provide that speed throughout your home. Rather, xFi Pods will allow you to connect in areas where you could not previously connect to your in-home WiFi.

Pods will not exceed the maximum provisioned speed of your Xfinity Internet tier of service. Maximum throughput of 200Mbps over WiFi connection in laboratory setting.

Rachel

Contributor

@ComcastKate wrote:

@Mr_Kludge wrote:

@haysgreg wrote:

Hi Mr_Kludge - Please note, in order to use xFi and xFi Pods, your Gateway cannot be in bridge mode. 

Correct and incorrect. It cannot be in "bridge" mode before you add the pods, but appears to be in "bridge" mode once they are activated. Mine now says: 

"Bridge Mode:
Enable
Disable

Wi-Fi Mesh only works in this setting." Bridge mode setting and enable and disable are greayed out. So I see the point now. It's a new mode that we are unable to control through the gateway interface.

So I stand corrected. It does not appear to be "bridge" mode. That was perpetuated by a previous poster.

Contributor

@ComcastRachelH wrote:

haysgreg -- 

Please let us know if removing a few of the Pods helps! 

Please keep in mind the following -- after removing some of the Pods, you may not notice an immediate change in performance, as it may take some time for your network to optimize.  Try giving it about 24 hours.

Also, xFi Pods are not intended to provide the maximum speed of your Internet speed tier throughout your home. For example, if you have a speed tier that provides download speeds up to 200 Mbps, xFi Pods will not provide that speed throughout your home. Rather, xFi Pods will allow you to connect in areas where you could not previously connect to your in-home WiFi.

Pods will not exceed the maximum provisioned speed of your Xfinity Internet tier of service. Maximum throughput of 200Mbps over WiFi connection in laboratory setting.

Rachel

That's sad since I purchased them so that I could get better speed from my network. And of course for the Ethernet port which I have not tested yet. As it sits now my old Apple Time capsule is outpeforming the new pod mesh system in all rooms and both 2.4 and 5g. Actually with 2.4. I have things set to be optimized with 5ghz on the xFi network and optimized with 2.4 with the Apple. I was getting much beter speed (300-600mbps) in my cave before the pod install (5ghz with xFi). Now only getting under 100mbps. Have noticed more consistant strong signal which is good. So they seem to be doing what they are supposed to, but I didn't get the speed boost I was seeking. Would be nice for Comcast to be upfront about that.  I'm going to give these a test run for 30 days before I throw in the towel and return them. I think the benifits might ooutweigh the drawbacks? I can always switch to my other network for the higher speeds if I need them.

Oh and don't go telling me I can't run multiple networks. I am a certified WIFi planning, engineering and survey "expert" and know what I am doing. I'm going to let the pods do their thing for a week or so before I do a survey and see how bad they are. As it sits now they, and the gateway, have made very poor choices of channels to use for both 2.4 and 5ghz. Seems the survey software used in the gateway and pods is sub standard as it is will all of the "we beleve in magic" schemes. Generally I do a survey and manually set channels at the optimum for each access point/router and then monitor it and change if needed. Problem with the pods is there is no way to "control" them if you are an expert. So other than getting better signal (but not better speed) and the Ethernet port I don't see ANY value in these but time will tell.

Contributor

@haysgreg wrote:

I'll try to remove a couple and see.  The directions I got was to keep them 40 feet apart and no more than 2 walls between them.  Not sure how a 2nd story affects it.  They are much less range than an extender thus the "one in every room" concept.  

As you can see from my other posts mine came in the mail today (boy that was fast I just ordered them on Sunday!!!!) Install was easy and pretty quick. I had no issue with the first pod but activation on the 2nd and 3rd timed out. Comcast keeps forgetting that when you mess with the wifi network things go away and devices will pick other networks. Not going into detal on that but I have the same issue when tryng to install a "gateway" with the automagic xFi app. It's much easier and faster for me to talk directly to the gateway (hey Comcast, how about a command line interface ;-) Anyhow naming of of the pods had a bit of trouble also but I got it all sorted. It was actually fun and a good sign to see soemething that went mostly as planned and expected with not much hands on other than me carefully watching the gateway and anticipating changes that would mess up my custom coniguration. Mostly in tact except for channels selected for 2.4 and 5. 

I'm seeing the same rusults as you. Muited speed but better signal. I can still stream to my hearts content in the Cave and have better signal to devices there. Only problem is if I have some major multiple gig downloads to do then this is going to cramp my style. Time will tell. 

My Apple network is still outpeforming hands down on 2.4 and still poor (I used a bad word before C R A P P Y and it got censored, please, groan ;-) on 5g (I have it set that way on purpose). Pods and gateway have decided to choose the 5ghz channesl that perform the worst in my house. If I could tell them what to use I would probaly be back to close to what I had on 5g with the xFi (XB6) gateway before the pod install (300-600mbps--I'm getting a tenth of that now). I guess I can now set the Apple net back to the better 5g channel since the pods and XB6 don't want to use them now?????

Frequent Visitor

I’m not sure how the xFi pods “know” which devices to attach to, but they do it. I just moved from an Apple Time Capsule as my router to the built in function in my Cisco DPC3941T when I was able to purchase a 3-pack of pods. I made the changeover a week ago and now, when I check my connections, the devices that need to be on 2.4 GHz (e.g., HomeKit devices) are on 2.4 and those that can use 5 GHz (e.g., my iPhone or laptop) are connected via the 5GHz band. Same SSID for both. Works great! Plus, the coverage in my house is much improved and the speeds in more remote areas are at least twice as fast. I highly recommend the xFi pods. 

Expert

@Mr_Kludge wrote:

@ComcastKate wrote:

@Mr_Kludge wrote:

@haysgreg wrote:

Correct and incorrect. It cannot be in "bridge" mode before you add the pods, but appears to be in "bridge" mode once they are activated. Mine now says: 

"Bridge Mode:
Enable
Disable

Wi-Fi Mesh only works in this setting." Bridge mode setting and enable and disable are greayed out. So I see the point now. It's a new mode that we are unable to control through the gateway interface.

So I stand corrected. It does not appear to be "bridge" mode. That was perpetuated by a previous poster.

All XB6 gateways say enable disable.  I found it to be very confusing because I installed Orbi.  I had to click on the two buttons to be sure my XB6 was NOT in bridge mode.  (My Orbi is in AP mode)