Community Forum

Xfi and ChromeCast

Regular Visitor

Xfi and ChromeCast

Hi,

I recently added an Xfi Pod to my network which converted my home to a Mesh Network instead of having a seperate 2.4ghz and 5ghz network. Since making the change, I am no longer able to connect either my first generation or second generation Chromecast device to the network. I'm looking for any advice that may help me get them working. The model of my modem is: TG1682G. Thank you!

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Xfi and ChromeCast

Do you have a single SSID since you installed the pods?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfi-pods-faqs

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

Hi! Thanks for replying. Yes, just one single ssid now.

-Mark
Highlighted
Official Employee

gleasonline --

Are you receiving any errors or messages in the ChromeCast app when trying to connect?

Rachel

Regular Visitor

Hi Rachel, the only error I've received is that it can't connect to the network. I have rebooted the modem, reset both Chromecast, and verified the password for the WiFi is being entered correctly. The issue started only after adding a xfi pod and it took the dual band wifi down and converted it to mesh. Not sure what the other options are now. Any thoughts?
Silver Problem Solver

Did you check help?  For example,

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/7331010?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid

(I have the Chromecast Ultra and I use an ethernet connection)

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

Good evening,

Thanks for replying - I have googled everywhere to find an answer. The Xfi pods are such a new product there just isn't anything online from what I've seen. I've done other searches like "mesh network" which essentially is what Xfi does to your home network. Unfortunately I can't use a ethernet connection as the modem is downstairs and the device is upstairs and also does not support a wired connection. Any other thoughts?

I'd love to find an answer as I'm sure this would help other Comcasters with future issues like this.

If I can't, I may have to simply return the Xfi pod for now until this kind of issue can be sorted out as I'm not sure what else to try except alter the modems configuration somehow which would most likely disable the xfi pod.

Silver Problem Solver

For a wifi connection, the Chromecast has instructions that I was able to use before I replaced mine with an Ultra.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6006232?hl=en

It shouldn't be any different with pods; they are just broadcasting a wifi signal with an SSID.  Do you have any other wifi devices that you are using with the pods?

Regular Visitor

I found a fix! Essentially, factory reset the gateway, activated the gateway, and setup all of the WiFi configuration directly from the xfi app...and everything worked on both the first and second generation Chromecast. Just had to add the pod in again and it was all good.