Community Forum

Xfi Pods and roaming devices

Frequent Visitor

Xfi Pods and roaming devices

just installed 3 xfi pods. How are devices moved between points and how often? Specifically, when i move to a different part of my house, will my iphone be redirected to the nearest pod? 

Official Employee

Re: Xfi Pods and roaming devices

dlcrouch -- 

Thanks for reaching out!  Once devices join your home WiFi network, they will automatically connect to the best WiFi access point, whether that is your Gateway or Pods. You can easily see what devices are connected to your Gateway or Pods by opening the Xfinity xFi app, navigating to Network and selecting the Gateway or a Pod.

Rachel

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

so - if i'm connected to my home wifi in room A and connected to the pod in room A. Then move to room B which also has a pod, will my device be reconnected to pod B if it provides a better signal? If so, what is the lag time? 

Official Employee

dlcrouch -- 

Yes, if Pod B provides the best signal for the type of WiFi connection that your device needs, your device will automatically connect through Pod B. There shouldn't be any lag time. Keep in mind, the best access point is not necessarily the closest Pod in proximity, and devices can also connect directly to the Gateway. As the mesh WiFi network continuously monitors the WiFi activity and wireless conditions of the home it will optimize coverage for all of your devices.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Rachel

Frequent Visitor

Can confirm that.  The missus likes to Skype Video with overseas relatives, and wanders all over the house, outdoors, etc. with a smartphone, and never gets disconnected now, and never gets glitchy video since the pods were installed. 

Official Employee

lstowell -- Thanks so much for taking the time to chime in!  So glad to hear the Pods are working out for you!  

Rachel

Frequent Visitor

thanks for all the quick replies. My testing shows roaming is working great.

Moderator - feel free to close out this thread.