Community Forum

Xfi PODS **DON'T BUY**

New Poster

Xfi PODS **DON'T BUY**

So I bought the X5 three-pack pods because that was that was recommended to me buy Xfinity since some of the structure work in my house is metal framing. After I hook them up I noticed that they ran extremely hot when plugged in directly to the outlet and also it seriously bog down our Wi-Fi connection. If you have dual band AKA modem name 2.4 and modem name 5... you cannot connect the X f i pods because they will not work with an Internet contract with Xfinity that has dual band so in other words we could go from 250 megabits per second 2 less than 40 kb per second! It literally took three trips to the store two different modems, actually they were the same model of modem given to me, two different trips of a Xfinity subcontractor to come out to the house to fix to find out what was wrong with x-fi.
New Poster

Re: Xfi PODS **DON'T BUY**

And I forgot to mention that the entire time that I had the pods hooked up and was trying to troubleshoot through Xfinity why our Wi-Fi was not a practically non-existent. I am currently trying to return these to the store and not having any luck. It doesn't matter being a good customer anymore I don't think. Once they come out with these X5 pods and all the sudden people are buying them and they're not working neither the store, online, xfi app, subcontractors they sent out, or my own research... These are so misleading and very expensive.
Official Employee

Thanks for reaching out & I apologize for the frustration. I'm happy to help troubleshoot or provide more info about returns or exchanges.

Pods require that you only have one WiFi network name and password. Your network still has both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radio bands, but now your Gateway will sort out the best connection at any given time for your devices. Keep in mind, you may need to reconnect devices to your WiFi name and password, if they were previously connected to a name designated for a single radio band.

All Pods come with a 30-day money back guarantee and a one-year hardware warranty. If you want to return or exchange the Pods that you purchased online, you have two options. For returns, you can visit an Xfinity Store or visit a UPS Store (No prepaid label is required - just head to a UPS Store and they will handle the rest.) For exchanges, please visit a store or give us a call at 1-800-XFINITY.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Is the issue that you had separated your SSID's (network names) according to the 2.4 and 5Ghz channels respectively (which is often the correct choice)? Would combining the 2.4 and 5Ghz channels into the same SSID solve this issue with the pods? I am asking because I live in an older FL house with concrete walls and even though it is only 1200sf I have serious low signal speed/quality zones. Not dead ...just latent and verging on no connection. I had thought the pods were the only solution other than setting up a MoCA network and spending a bunch of money on MoCA adapters....

Official Employee

Tophius -- Pods may be a good option for you!

Pods require one WiFi network name and password (i.e., you cannot have a separate WiFi network name and password for your 2.4 and 5 GHz radio bands). Your network still has both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radio bands. This allows your Gateway to sort out the best connection at any given time for your devices.

When you activate xFi Pods, you will be prompted to update your settings to reflect the above if your bands are not already configured that way.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Thanks for the response!! Now...I had asked this question in tandem with something else in another thread. I was told in the other thread that PODS "extend the range of the network, not the speed"... this has me confused.

The devices closest to my WG receive a stronger signal and faster speed is inherent. Would not the PODS serve this same function? The whole point of my buying them would be to help the far room get faster than 50Mb/s (on a 250Mb/s hardwired speed network). If the pods simply get that 50Mb/s speed and extend it further out, I do not think that is a viable option for me.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Tophius - Pods are not intended to provide the maximum speed of your Internet speed tier throughout your home. For example, if you have a speed tier that provides download speeds up to 200 Mbps, Pods will not provide that speed throughout your home. Rather, Pods will allow you to connect in areas where you could not previously connect to your in-home WiFi.

In order to help extend your WiFi connection, Pods need to communicate or connect wirelessly to the xFi Gateway and, depending on their location, they may "hop" through other Pods on their path to get there. The number of "hops" the Pod needs to make to the Gateway will impact the speed.

Regardless of whether you are using Pods, your Internet speed is limited to your speed tier, and Pods will not increase that speed. In addition, a number of other factors affect Internet speed, including your connection type (Ethernet vs. WiFi), the number of devices in use, the age of your device, site traffic, content provider server capacity and internal network factors.