Community Forum

XFi pods

New Poster

XFi pods

Postings indicate that you cannot have separate ids and passwords for 2.4 and 5ghz networks when using these. Yet many smart products (myQ, Wemo, LIFX) require a 2.4 ghz network to work. If the XFi modem just auto switches to whatever It thinks should work, how would you be able to register and maintain such smart devices on the network?
Silver Problem Solver

Re: XFi pods

@Kbcole500 wrote:
Postings indicate that you cannot have separate ids and passwords for 2.4 and 5ghz networks when using these. Yet many smart products (myQ, Wemo, LIFX) require a 2.4 ghz network to work. If the XFi modem just auto switches to whatever It thinks should work, how would you be able to register and maintain such smart devices on the network?

The pods do the assignment to the correct band.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfi-pods-faqs

"Other than Xfinity Internet and a compatible xFi Gateway, is there anything else that is required to use xFi Pods?
In order to activate and use your Pods, your xFi Gateway must not be in Bridge Mode and your home network must have the following settings enabled:

• A password to join your WiFi network (i.e., your WiFi Security Mode setting must be one that's password protected, not Open).
  • One WiFi network name and password. (i.e., you cannot have a separate WiFi network name and password for your 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi networks.)
  • An enabled and broadcasting WiFi network (i.e., your WiFi network cannot be disabled through the Gateway's Admin Tool (10.0.0.1)).

When you activate your Pods, you may be prompted to make any of the above changes to your settings if they are required.

Once you've activated your Pods, advanced settings like WiFi Mode, Channel and Channel Width will be managed automatically to provide the best coverage."

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

Hi @Kbcole500 

With merged bands, the xFi Gateway band steering logic will try to connect your device using the 5Ghz band. However, if your device is not within range of the 5Ghz band or is not capable of connecting to it, then the Gateway will present the device with the 2.4Ghz band. Even with a single wifi name and password, your devices will know which band to connect to for optimal speeds

Please let me know if you have any questions,

Hana

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thanks for that answer. When I have tried connecting wemo plugs to the merged network previously it never recognizes a network until I separate the bands. Any thoughts on this?