Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

XFi block all new devices

New Poster

XFi block all new devices

I want to block any and all new devices from connecting to my home network unless I approve. I used to be able to do this through various router settings, but I can’t find an equivalent in XFi. Thanks.
Contributor

Re: XFi block all new devices

HI, Did you ever get an answer to this question?

I am curious too.

Thanks,

M

Official Employee

@hsciii@DRMan - this is currently not a feature within xFi. For devices that do successfully connect, you can pause them as soon as they join. Placing them on an indefinite pause will block the device from using your home network until you unpause the device.

If you wish to prevent unwanted devices from connecting to your home network completely, ensure your network is password protected and keep access to the password limited. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Frequent Visitor

No I'm sorry this is a unavailable option for Xfinity Period. This is just another example of you screwing your customers. You are truly the EVIL EMPIRE 

Official Employee

djm19761, Thanks for your feedback.As Brittany said above, you can pause the devices that join your network that you do not want there. 

New Poster

This last suggestion is completely unacceptable. In today’s world, to keep secure your assets, it takes a 100% assurance that nothing gets in your infrastructure until it is properly approved.
I would be expecting that you would provide a better response other than rely on a password...
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately because of your worthless Xfi or whatever app blocking anything is impossible now. Not even though the router. Thanks you brilliant tecs

Contributor

Great question. I need an answer too. I’m in a constant battle with a teenager (no judgement plz) who circumvents bedtime mode and pausing by renaming his computer and changing mac id...restarting modem while plugging in ethernet cable. I get no text that a new device has joined. I need to be able to completely disable internet access at a given time or block all new devices.
New Poster

Exact same issue with my 16 yr old son. This is very frustrating Comcast. The old system worked better. Fix this issue. I'm sure we are not the only customers with is issue.
New Poster

You must not have the notifications on. Within 5 seconds of a device connecting my husband and me both gets texts and notifications from the xfi app

New Poster

5 secs might be too late to keep your personal data and privacy secured...
I don’t think this topic is related as much as how we can manage our kids’ access but more so to unknown clients getting in our home private network without proper authorization.
If the app would have a setting to block any new access until further approval, via notification, that should address both use cases
And here - still waiting for XFINITY to respond...
Contributor

Yes, that is how its supposed to work. Yes notifications and alerts are enabled. There are youtube vids on how to circumvent all of the parental controls. My kid is getting around my settings by first) change the computer name and/or mac id (they do this because the device has been paused under other names/ids), second) reboot router, third) while router is rebooting plug in ethernet cable. Voila, no notification of a new device. I only know it happens when I check the xfi app devices and see a new funky number for a device. I have not detected that he can get around wifi controls.

My best route to blocking all this is to remove the router from the house for a few days everytime I detect it has been done!!!

Expert

@JimmyCricket wrote:

Yes, that is how its supposed to work. Yes notifications and alerts are enabled. There are youtube vids on how to circumvent all of the parental controls. My kid is getting around my settings by first) change the computer name and/or mac id (they do this because the device has been paused under other names/ids), second) reboot router, third) while router is rebooting plug in ethernet cable. Voila, no notification of a new device. I only know it happens when I check the xfi app devices and see a new funky number for a device. I have not detected that he can get around wifi controls.

My best route to blocking all this is to remove the router from the house for a few days everytime I detect it has been done!!!

Do your children know your Xfinity userid and password?  If so, change the password.

Contributor

No they don't know the password.  To get back to the original theme of the thread, alot of users would like the ability to block all new devices (default for a new device should be Paused).  Then the new device can be approved or rejected. I chimed in because my kid was able to add a device without me getting a text notification. If all new devices were initially Paused, then it wouldn't be an issue.