Community Forum

XFINITY xFi

Silver Problem Solver

Re: xFi app says I need to upgrade my hardware

We have the option to set up multiple sub-accounts in My Account that can be assigned to each of our children.  That is what I had to do.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

Re: xFi app says I need to upgrade my hardware

And there are tons of standard wireless routers that do the same thing, usually easier, better, and without risking your online security the way this does.  I'm just saying, do the research on the downsides of what this could mean.  If your login details get out for xfinity in any way (share with family, friends, log in from an unsecure location when traveling for streampix, lose phone, people come to your house and get it somehow, whatever way), you have just lost 100% of your security for good.  Anyone could now log in remotely, change yoru passwords, disable your firewall, and open up any ports they want, possibly without you even noticing.  Then they will always have free reign over your computer, can see what you do, remote control it, do whatever insidious things they want behind the scenes.  This is a bad idea.

A personal modem and router are physical and staionary.  You log into it directly from a direct connection.

Regular Visitor

Re: XFINITY xFi

I used the pause for my son and it worked great. However when I try to resume his device it is still blocked. I even deleted it and re-added it. It says it is active but when I print the parental control report it confirms it is blocked. I can't unblock it anywhere. Thanks for any advice.

Silver Problem Solver

Anon413731 wrote:

I used the pause for my son and it worked great. However when I try to resume his device it is still blocked. I even deleted it and re-added it. It says it is active but when I print the parental control report it confirms it is blocked. I can't unblock it anywhere. Thanks for any advice.

Did you try the xFi website?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Official Employee

Anon413731 wrote:

Hi Anon413731,
As RobertWy suggested, if you have been using the mobile app, please try to unpause the device through the xFi website xfinity.com/myxFi.
If the problem persists, let me know and I will send this to our support team for resolution.

Regular Visitor

Yes, I have used both the mobile app and the web site. I also ran through all of the troubleshooting tests which say everything is OK. Yet the parental controls report confirms the reality that the device is still blocked.

Official Employee

Anon413731 wrote:

Yes, I have used both the mobile app and the web site. I also ran through all of the troubleshooting tests which say everything is OK. Yet the parental controls report confirms the reality that the device is still blocked.

I am sorry to hear you are still experiencing issues. It sounds like xFi and the settings in your Gateway may have gotten out of sync. I will get this issue sent to the appropriate team for resolution. 

New Poster

We have been using xFi since June, it has been very helpful in limiting our kid's device use.  However, in the last approximately 2 weeks it has not worked at all.  It says they are in bedtime mode or it says they are paused, but their is no effect on their devices.  About the time I noticed problems, I also discovered there were some new features.  Also, when I try and manage it from the xfinity website instead of the app, the page cannot load.  

Thanks

New Poster

I called CS today to determine bandwidth consumption by device on my home network.  While they failed to tell me about this app, I did eventually discover it on my own.  I've loaded it up on my W10 machine using Chrome and have also installed it on my iPhone.  The interface comes up fine, my devices are listed, functionality seems to be in place for the app to work.  Only problem is that all of my usage graphs are blank.

Is there something I need to do to get real-time and historical 30-day usage retrievable from the router via the app?

I have a DPC3941T gateway, if that makes any difference.

Silver Problem Solver

I've had mine for several months but I don't think there was any history before I started using Xfi.

Valued Contributor

I also am currently having the same problem.  Trying to pause all devices assigned to my children but they just keep on working....way to go Comcast!  I'd have to say that this app works about as good as everything else Comcast throws out there.....

New Poster

I have 46 total devices in my home that connect to my Xfinity Gateway.  Prior to Friday, I had a DPC3941T gateway.  On Friday, I upgraded to Gigabit service and got the XB6.  Since then, about 30 of my devices show online in xFi, while the other 15 show as inactive, even when I am actively using them at home.  I tried to go through telephone support and just kept getting told the various wemo switches that show inactive were doing so because they were not actively uploading or downloading.  I knew that wasn't true though because the MANY other wemo switches I have were showing as active 24/7.  The devices that are inactive say so all the time, but their data usage graph has bars that show data usage each hour.  Attached is a screenshot showing one of my 4 NestCams, which uploads 1080p video constantly (unless I turn it off) to the cloud, as inactive right now, but using lots of data.  I can login to the camera, see the live feed, and yet xFi will show it as a constant inactive device.  Any help?

1.jpg
Silver Problem Solver
Moved:

New Poster

Xfi does not work I get message saying phone Xfinity support which I did. After 30 mins on phone with support, transferred to level 3 support they tell me that xfi is no longer available and no eta on a fix. I think it must work for some folks though! My guess is that it's been deactivated for customers with Comcast security cameras installed because it tracks the high amount of data the Comcast security cameras are using. My four cameras newly installed in august used 1000 gigs ! I ended up having to turn off recording on 3 of cameras. Can't wait to get rid of them, absolutely useless if can't record. But can't drop for six months based on deal I signed for $100 dollars off each camera. Anyway if others that have security camera can't get into xfi then I bet that's the issue !
New Poster

Re: XFINITY xFi Not Working.

having the same issue here

New Poster

Ask your neighbor to change his password.  (I barely know my neighbors' names- how/why you have their wifi password is... odd)

New Poster

I already set up modem through a phone call because self activation didn't work. Now that it is activated when I sign into xfi app it prompts me to install again without option to skip. Help
New Poster

I have Xfinity and am interested in xFi. I own my own telephony modem and router and do not want to rent from Comcast. According to Comcast's website, the only xFi compatible equipment would be the Arris 1682G, Cisco 3941T or Arris TG3482G. I am wondering if anyone knows if these are all Voice/Telephony compatible and which is the "best" of the three. Thanks for any information.

Silver Problem Solver

Gargoylz wrote:

I have Xfinity and am interested in xFi. I own my own telephony modem and router and do not want to rent from Comcast. According to Comcast's website, the only xFi compatible equipment would be the Arris 1682G, Cisco 3941T or Arris TG3482G. I am wondering if anyone knows if these are all Voice/Telephony compatible and which is the "best" of the three. Thanks for any information.

I have the 1682G and it supports Xfinity voice.  It has been a very good gateway since I got it about six months ago

Expert

Comcast, it been a week and xFi is not blocking anything at all. Pausing, bedtime mode, protected browsing, and parental controls are all not working at all and the issue is widespread. Can someone resync xFi and my gateway?

New Poster

So I received the Arris 1682G and I can’t access Xfi. Every time I try it says I need an upgrade, but I already upgraded. The app even helped me set up the modem, but it doesn’t work anymore. Help?
New Poster

Did you get it straightened out? Because I’m having the same problem
Frequent Visitor

I am having the same issues with pausing devices and the bedtime mode not working... I have contacted Comcast, only to have this issue fall on deaf ears. It worked for awhile, then it stopped. I wonder if it from an update to the app. My wireless gateway is Cisco DPC3941T.

Expert

I personally think it’s just xFi not working as they intended where they might or might not even know it. It’s not even working online either.
Official Employee

Hi Ddoub1, are you still receiving the upgrade message when you login to xFi?

Official Employee

Hi jweaver0312, jlmank33 - I see open tickets for this issue on both of your accounts. I will follow up and see if I can get more information on the status of those tickets for you. 

Frequent Visitor

Upate:

Talked to an level 3 agent, she tried some different things, but was unsuccessful. She schedule a repairmen to come out to check my modem, ect. After getting off my cell phone with her, I noticed that she ended up knocking out my telephone service. Instead off calling back, I just waited for a repairman to come.

The repairman showed up and told me that he has no clue of the xFi app and they do not handle that. But he was able to get my phone fixed (the phone that the level 3 agent messed up) and he said that modem ect. looks good.

Thankfully, I was able to get ahold of Zack from Comcast National Repair. He is getting my repair ticket escalted to Comcast Engineers. He has been in contact with me to make sure things are getting done.

So for anyone having this same trouble, do not give up! Same yourself a lot of time,frustration & aggravation and call the Advance Repair Team <Edited. Not a public info>. I have gotten further with them in less than 24 hours than I have in 4 days will the usual customer service!

I will post back Zack's findings & how they fixed it once it is fixed.

Frequent Visitor

I have used this feature for several months. Today, 11.7.17, the gateway page for users and devices will no longer load in my browser. See screenshot of what comes up for me when trying to access the gateway. I've tried 3 different browsers and still nothing. Also was on a call with service and they were stumped also. They said to keep trying. 

Any help or ideas are appreciated. 

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 12.19.23 PM.png
Silver Problem Solver

There was a broad network outage earlier.  Do you still have the issue?

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for replying RobertWy.

Still a problem. When I log in to my account I can see my dashboard, but I can't access the internet user, devices usage area that I've come to depend on these last several months. I think it's called the Gateway? When I try to access it from my history this is the url that comes up https://internet.xfinity.com/gateway-offline  -- and the content showing is the screenshot from my original question. 

Silver Problem Solver

_newbie wrote:

Thank you for replying RobertWy.

Still a problem. When I log in to my account I can see my dashboard, but I can't access the internet user, devices usage area that I've come to depend on these last several months. I think it's called the Gateway? When I try to access it from my history this is the url that comes up https://internet.xfinity.com/gateway-offline  -- and the content showing is the screenshot from my original question. 

One possibility is you are not logging in with your primary account userid/password.  You can find what Comcast thinks it is by logging into My Account.  If that doesn't help, try talking to customer service. 1800comcast.

Expert

You can still access it with a secondary account.
Regular Visitor

So I started a chat session to find out if its possible to un-link MyXfi from home router. This is because the port fed feature does not seem to work through MyXfi for me.  I was told I need to downgrade my modem and to take it in and it would be replace.

Seems there should be a way to un-link MyXfi.

Regular Contributor

I recently added an XiD tv box running as a slave to the XG1 dvr.  Ever since then, the main dvr shows up as a wifi device in xFi.  It doesn't have an ip address and xFi won't let me forget it.  Anyone have any ides on this?

Silver Problem Solver

ThomT wrote:

I recently added an XiD tv box running as a slave to the XG1 dvr.  Ever since then, the main dvr shows up as a wifi device in xFi.  It doesn't have an ip address and xFi won't let me forget it.  Anyone have any ides on this?

The XiD box communicates with the XG1, so I suspect this is normal.

Regular Contributor

RobertWy wrote:

ThomT wrote:

I would think that it is normal also, except that xFi is a wifi tool and I believe that the XG1 and XiD communicate via MOCA.  I checked the wifi gateway via login at 10.0.0.1 and it does NOT show the XG1 at all.  

Silver Problem Solver

ThomT wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

ThomT wrote:

I would think that it is normal also, except that xFi is a wifi tool and I believe that the XG1 and XiD communicate via MOCA.  I checked the wifi gateway via login at 10.0.0.1 and it does NOT show the XG1 at all.  

You are correct, I forgot about MoCA.

New Poster

Why isn't my Arris 1682G modem showing as an active device on my network?
Tags (2)
Silver Problem Solver

Rgward611 wrote:
Why isn't my Arris 1682G modem showing as an active device on my network?

On the web My Account, does it show up?

https://customer.xfinity.com/#/devices

Regular Visitor

Last night I was on the phone with Xfinity customer service for over 2 hours with 4 different agents attempting to get the xFi app to work properly in order to install my new Xfinity pods. No success. My router was "provisioned" / re-started twice; I uninstalled / reinstalled the Android app three times; and I re-started my cell phone three times.

I keep getting stuck at the screen that says "Settings Update Required". I select "Update Settings", and I continually get a screen that says "Let's Try That Again. Sorry, we ran into a problem. Please try again or go back to the previous screen." Nothing works.

And yes, I had a pod plugged into an outlet that wasn't run by a light switch, and I was standing 6-8" away from the pod.

Beyond frustrated and looking for help.

New Poster

Same problem.  Brand new install 1 week ago, renting their modem.  Ordered xfi pods to create mesh and can't get the app to 'connect to settings'.  I've called multiple times and no one can figure it out.  Beyond frustrating!  

Frequent Visitor

I recently upgraded my internet service to 400Mbps. This involved setting up one of your
new XB6 Modem/Routers and it's WiFi.

I have some questions about managing my network and it's devices using the XFI Admin
functionality (accessed by visiting IP address 10.0.0.1). I have been a Software Evaluation
Engineer for 30+ years so please don't think bad of me for my offer of comments. They are
offered in the spirit of improving the XFI/XB6 experience.

Questions:
1) Where is the XB6 (Wireless Gateway model CGM4140COM) User Guide? I have not been able to
find any documentation on your web site. It makes it tough to manage the Modem/Router without
documentation. There are links for 'Wireless Gateway 1', 'Wireless Gateway 2' and 'Wireless
Gateway 3' but none of them provide information on the XB6.

2) Why can't Host Names be edited for my connected devices? When I click the 'EDIT' button all
I can do is enter or edit a comment. This functionality is a bit helpful, but even after you add
a device descriptive comment, you still have click the device's link in the 'Connected Devices'
list to see it.

3) The only way I see to edit Host Names is to add or replace Devices using the 'Add device
with Reserved IP' button but there is no associated documentation or guidelines. I have noticed
that when I send my devices page to the printer the device links are all expanded. THANK YOU
THIS IS HELPFUL!!!

4) Another Host Name issue is that their enumerations can change on their own. Why do they
change? For example, I have a TP-LINK RS200 WiFi Range Extender. It's Host Name is listed as
'RS200'. If I remove the device from the network and then add it back, it's Host Name is now
'RS200-3'. Plus, I actually have two TP-LINK RS200 WiFi Range Extenders in use which makes
this even more chaotic.

5) Some devices have a Host Name that match the device's MAC Address. Why don't these devices
have Host Names? Why can't I assign them host names? I have several devices that use this
naming convention and it makes it difficult to manage all my devices because MAC addresses
are not very descriptive.

6) Another Host Name issue is that there are several devices on my network that are named
'amazon-<MAC Address>-<enumeration>' which correlate to several Amazon Echo and Echo Dot devices
in my home. The enumeration is included in some Host Names but not all Host Names. Plus, given
the use of MAC addresses here, which seem to be unique across all of my devices, the
enumeration seems a bit redundant (at least to this XFI Rookie).

7) Device IP Addresses; The only way I can assign a device a host name that makes sense to me is
to add a device using an assigned IP address. I have done some experiments here, but if I add a
device that uses an IP address that is in use, the new device get transported to the 'Offline
Devices' list instead of the 'Connected Devices' list. No mention of the IP address issue at all.

8) There is a 'Connected Devices' list along with an 'Offline Devices' list. There isn't any way
to 'Edit' any of the devices that are offline. Plus, they only have a deletion button and when
you click the button, the device doesn't actually get deleted, it just moves to a 'Managed
Devices' list on the 'Parental Control' page. Parental control? This is really confusing.

9) WiFi; a) I was told by the person who was helping me upgrade to 400Mbps (from 150Mbps) service
that the Wifi speed (which is why I upgraded to the XB6 in the first place) would be faster. It
isn't faster at all. This is a really big deal to me because it makes me feel like I was lied to
or hoodwinked; b) Download Speeds change throughout the day which when slow (sometimes SLOWER than
the current upload speed) make it painful to try to do work using my Android Phone and/or Tablet;
Download speeds range from around 4Mbps up to maybe 35Mbps which is dosappointing when compared to
the 484Mbps speed I get on my Win10 PC which is directly plugged in to the XB6. This issue is a
killer. I upgraded my service for faster speeds, not the ho-hum speeds I'm seeing.

Silver Problem Solver

It's hard to respond because you have so many questions, and some of them should be asked in the Home Network forum.  I am a retired software engineer.  I have the XB6.  I do not use it quite like you seem to.  I have had wifi issues for as long as I have had it; my home is just not amenable to wifi.  I purchased an Orbi mesh to address my wifi and it seems to be working better than anything else I have tried, but it even has issues sometimes.  

You could try the xFi pods.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfi-pods-faqs

There is no XB6 owner's manual yet, but the xFi website has a lot of information.

https://internet.xfinity.com/

https://internet.xfinity.com/more/help

Oh, and I assume you know 400 down is with an ethernet connection.

New Poster

My app goofed up last night as i was nearing the end of port forwarding. I messed up a few times; then had to delete, and re-add ports. However, I was on my last two ports and it just stopped adding ports. So i deleted the one and figured maybe i could add a port range instead because the ports were 1 number apart. Once again, it didnt work. But this time I wasn't adding, I tried to remove a port. I keep getting messages basically saying it's having trouble, and another saying it couldn't load my aettings.
Screenshot_20180725-132640_xFi.jpg