Community Forum

XB6 modem, XFI pods and the 5GHZ Network

Regular Visitor

XB6 modem, XFI pods and the 5GHZ Network

Last week I upgraded to the new XB6 modem to achieve gig speeds.  I live in a 2400sqft home so I sprung for the xfi pods as well.  When I hooked up the pods they chose to connect to the 2.4 ghz network instead of the 5 which I thought was odd.  When I went in to check the networks available on my phone I noticed that the 5ghz no longer showed as available on any of my devices.  I opened a browser and logged into the admin settings on the modem thinking maybe the 5 had somehow taken the same name as the 2.4 as that has happened with my new modems before.  I figured I'd just rename the 5 and be good.  However all the settings in the 5 were grayed out.  When I chatted and called with tech support they were of absolutely no help.  Something that broke my heart since I am an ex-Comcast employee and one of the original HSD phone reps from back in 98 and I also helped launch the chat support group in New England.  Anyway, they recommended a truck roll to my home and set up an appointment since my modem had dropped a few times the same night.  The tech came out today, checked my levels and everything was fine.  I told him that my main concern was the disappearance of the 5g network.  His response surprised me.  Is it true that the 5g no longer shows up on purpose as an option?  He said the 5g will auto connect near the modem and 2.4 will connect further away.  Please confirm if this is true or not.  If so...that sort of a## backwards.  Thanks in advance.  

Official Employee

Re: XB6 modem, XFI pods and the 5GHZ Network

peddyr -- Thanks for reaching out & I apologize that you didn't get this answer via our phone support.

Pods require that you only have one WiFi network name and password. Your network still has both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radio bands, but now your Gateway will sort out the best connection at any given time for your devices. Keep in mind, you may need to reconnect devices to your WiFi name and password, if they were previously connected to a name designated for a single radio band.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

We have "smart plugs" that only work on the 2.4 GHz. When I have both frequencies with the same name and password the plugs aren't smart enough to connect to the 2.4 so the plugs tell me it can't find a connection. Is this gonna cause problems with the pods I just bought?
Silver Problem Solver

@Pletch2 wrote:
We have "smart plugs" that only work on the 2.4 GHz. When I have both frequencies with the same name and password the plugs aren't smart enough to connect to the 2.4 so the plugs tell me it can't find a connection. Is this gonna cause problems with the pods I just bought?

What is the make and model of your plugs?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!