Community Forum

XB6 Wireless Gateway and an external router questions…

Frequent Visitor

XB6 Wireless Gateway and an external router questions…

I’m preparing to move into a house that already has the XB6 Wireless Gateway with 1 gigabit service. I have the same at my present address ('til I move) and am using both ethernet ports on a couple of devices for the improved connection speed. We'd like to do something similar at the future residence, but need more than 2 ports.

Has anyone been able to use an external router and realized any increased download speeds? If so, which router can anyone recommend, and would it be worth it to go through the effort required, or would any possible increase in d/l speeds and overall reliability be possible? 

And if the answer is in the affirmative, which router would anyone recommend? Can anyone refer me to a guide that illustrates any possible configurations? I’m figuring I’ll have several hundred pages of immensely interesting and informative suggestions, by tomorrow, or the day after, for which your efforts will not go unrewarded, probably with a sincere Thanks! 

That’s a priceless token of both my esteem and sincere appreciation if I’ve ever seen one! Here’s a brief preview: Thanks…

Frequent Visitor

Re: XB6 Wireless Gateway and an external router questions…

How 'bout it, amigos? I thought I’d have pages of stuff to go through by now. Maybe I should just summarize:

1. Is it possible to add a router to the XB6 Wireless Gateway?
  2. If so, which one can you recommend?

Check out the original message for details. Thanks…

Silver Problem Solver

@JohnnyCNote1 wrote:

How 'bout it, amigos? I thought I’d have pages of stuff to go through by now. Maybe I should just summarize:

1. Is it possible to add a router to the XB6 Wireless Gateway?
  2. If so, which one can you recommend?

Check out the original message for details. Thanks…

I installed the Orbi, which is a router.  I had to put my XB6 in Bridge Mode and used an ethernet cable to connect to the XB6 Ethernet Port1.

You might be able to do the same with other routers;  It has been a while but before I got the Orbi I had a router in a work room and it was connected by ethernet from there to my XB3.

You might try the Your Home Network forum if this doesn't help.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks mucho! I'll check it out…