Community Forum

[XB6 Gateway with PODS] Are these WiFi speeds normal?

Frequent Visitor

[XB6 Gateway with PODS] Are these WiFi speeds normal?

I was having problems with my cameras going off-line and my range inside the house not being very good. So I added PODS (6 months ago) and switched to the CGM4140COM (XB6) Gateway. That didn’t really help.

My backyard camera is mounted outside next to the back door. I added a POD right inside the backdoor about 3 feet from the camera. The POD does not show that the camera is connected to it, the camera is connecting through the Gateway in the middle of the house. Is that normal?

Below are the results of the speed tests from my DESKTOP on Ethernet and WiFi both and DATA and WiFi on my phone. For these tests both devices were within 3 feet of the Gateway.

I have 250 Mbps internet, so my Ethernet is doing what it should, but my WiFi is pretty lame. Are these results normal?

Desktop Results

XPS8500 Speedtest Enet_1.jpg

XPS8500 Speedtest WiFi_1.jpg

Google Pixel 3 Results

Pixel 3 Speedtest Data_1.jpg

Pixel 3 Speedtest WiFi_1.jpg

Silver Problem Solver

Re: [XB6 Gateway with PODS] Are these WiFi speeds normal?

@Tourglide1 wrote:

I was having problems with my cameras going off-line and my range inside the house not being very good. So I added PODS (6 months ago) and switched to the CGM4140COM (XB6) Gateway. That didn’t really help.

My backyard camera is mounted outside next to the back door. I added a POD right inside the backdoor about 3 feet from the camera. The POD does not show that the camera is connected to it, the camera is connecting through the Gateway in the middle of the house. Is that normal?

Below are the results of the speed tests from my DESKTOP on Ethernet and WiFi both and DATA and WiFi on my phone. For these tests both devices were within 3 feet of the Gateway.

I have 250 Mbps internet, so my Ethernet is doing what it should, but my WiFi is pretty lame. Are these results normal?

Desktop Results

XPS8500 Speedtest Enet_1.jpg

XPS8500 Speedtest WiFi_1.jpg

Google Pixel 3 Results

Pixel 3 Speedtest Data_1.jpg

Pixel 3 Speedtest WiFi_1.jpg

xFi Pods are for wifi; the Xfinity Home system uses a different protocol to communicate with the devices.

https://www.xfinity.com/hub/smart-home/home-security-installation-what-to-know

"

Installing security cameras and sensors

The biggest part of setting up a home security system is often installing sensors and cameras. Sensors “talk” to a central hub using smart home protocol such as Zigbee or Z-Wave. With DIY installation, you have the option of using an adhesive to attach the sensors to your door frames, window frames, and near entry points to your home. Sure, it’s a lot easier than drilling holes in your wall, but over time these adhesives can lose their effectiveness and may drop off. Instead, it’s best to use the provided screws and attach them securely. One of our Xfinity Home technicians can do this for you if you’re not comfortable drilling holes into your doors and windows.

The same installation process applies for security cameras: whether they’re placed indoors or outdoors, you’ll want them in a central, convenient location, so they can capture everything you want them to, without getting in your way. Mounting cameras up high and securing them properly is essential for them to work correctly. And if you’re unsure of the best placement, an Xfinity Home professional can help."

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

@RobertWy wrote:

Xfi Pods are for wifi; the Xfinity Home system uses a different protocol to communicate with the devices.

"

The biggest part of setting up a home security system is often installing sensors and cameras. Sensors “talk” to a central hub using smart home protocol such as Zigbee or Z-Wave. With DIY installation, you have the option of using an adhesive to attach the sensors to your door frames, window frames, and near entry points to your home. Sure, it’s a lot easier than drilling holes in your wall, but over time these adhesives can lose their effectiveness and may drop off. Instead, it’s best to use the provided screws and attach them securely. One of our Xfinity Home technicians can do this for you if you’re not comfortable drilling holes into your doors and windows.

The same installation process applies for security cameras: whether they’re placed indoors or outdoors, you’ll want them in a central, convenient location, so they can capture everything you want them to, without getting in your way. Mounting cameras up high and securing them properly is essential for them to work correctly. And if you’re unsure of the best placement, an Xfinity Home professional can help."

I’m not sure I understand the point you are trying to make? I know what PODS are for and I don’t have any problems with my camera installations.

Are you trying to say that PODS use some protocol my devices don’t use?

I added the Pods to expand my WiFi throughout the house. I don’t think they are doing that at all. I think I wasted my money buying them.  I have a POD three feet away from a camera and the POD doesn’t show anything connected to it. So I guess the camera is connecting through the XB6 gateway farther into the house the same as it was before adding the PODS.

My other question was is it normal to have a 295 Mbps Ethernet connecting on a desktop next to the gateway and have it drop to 39Mbps when switching to WiFi?

I’m really disappointed in the speeds and coverage of my WiFi. Especially after buying those PODS.

Silver Problem Solver

@Tourglide1 wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

Xfi Pods are for wifi; the Xfinity Home system uses a different protocol to communicate with the devices.

"

I’m not sure I understand the point you are trying to make? I know what PODS are for and I don’t have any problems with my camera installations.

Are you trying to say that PODS use some protocol my devices don’t use?

I added the Pods to expand my WiFi throughout the house. I don’t think they are doing that at all. I think I wasted my money buying them.  I have a POD three feet away from a camera and the POD doesn’t show anything connected to it. So I guess the camera is connecting through the XB6 gateway farther into the house the same as it was before adding the PODS.

My other question was is it normal to have a 295 Mbps Ethernet connecting on a desktop next to the gateway and have it drop to 39Mbps when switching to WiFi?

I’m really disappointed in the speeds and coverage of my WiFi. Especially after buying those PODS.

Just the opposite; Pods use the Gateway wifi; the XHome system uses the Zigbee protocol, which is not the Gateway wifi.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

@RobertWy wrote:

Just the opposite; Pods use the Gateway wifi; the XHome system uses the Zigbee protocol, which is not the Gateway wifi.

I'm not using an XHome system (I'm not sure what that is; I assume its Xfinity Security), I'm using NEST cameras.