Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Will PODS help if 3482 must be located far from center of home?

Frequent Visitor

Will PODS help if 3482 must be located far from center of home?

I have a townhome that is long (90 ft), narrow(25 ft) and tall (4 story)... but the Modem muist be located near the phone junction box in far corner of home onb 1st floor... will the new Xfi Pods help? Using the 250 Blast service. there is  Cat 5 that i can use for wired backhaul in center of house, and was thinking of using Orbi or Plume Pods where i can use wired backhaul... but it sounds lkike the Xfi Pods dont have that capability and signal will degrade if they are too far from 3482 Modem? any advice will be appreciated...

Expert

Re: Will PODS help if 3482 must be located far from center of home?

I'm just learning about mesh networks.  If I understand how the xFi pods work, they might be a solution for your residence, but you need to figure out how many to purchase (they come in threes).  My experience with Orbi seems to indicate that the more mesh devices you have, the better the wifi coverage.  I have three Orbi's now in my one-story 2400sqft home.  And the more kids I had, the more difficult it was to provide coverage.  

Frequent Visitor

@RobertWy wrote:

I'm just learning about mesh networks.  If I understand how the xFi pods work, they might be a solution for your residence, but you need to figure out how many to purchase (they come in threes).  My experience with Orbi seems to indicate that the more mesh devices you have, the better the wifi coverage.  I have three Orbi's now in my one-story 2400sqft home.  And the more kids I had, the more difficult it was to provide coverage.  

Thanks,

since i already have Comcast XP6 modem router, i was thinking it might be better long run to use the Xfi Pods instead of Orbi's - I am assuming over next couple years Xfinity will put more capability /functionality and support into making their own Mesh work effectively...

However i do have reservations about the Xfi Pods:

1. if i order the Xfi Pods and they dont work well in my situation, is there a 30 day return or something like that?
  2. since i cant put the Router in the middle of the house, will "daisy chaining" them across the house work, or will the speed be  degraded?

the Orbi's allow you to connect them

Expert

1;  Talk to Comcast about return policies; I'm just a user like you.

2.  Since I don't have pods, the only thing I can say is that you should be able to put the gateway in one end of the residence and spread the pods out over the rest of the residence.  My limited knowledge about mesh is that it should "daisy-chain" around the residence.  They all talk to each other.  And when you install them, you should be able to tell if they are all connected on the mesh network.

My Orbi has an app that graphically displays all connected devices, including the two Orbi satellites.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks!  i have an appointment to go out to the store today... appreciate the advice!

Official Employee

@nzl8dc wrote:

Thanks!  i have an appointment to go out to the store today... appreciate the advice!

Pods are currently only available for online purchase to customers in the Boston, Chicago and Colorado markets - they are not yet available in Xfinity stores. 

Also, to answer your previous question regarding return policy - there is a 30-day return policy on the xFi Pods.