Community Forum

WiFi dropping

Frequent Visitor

Re: WiFi dropping

I experienced the same frustration trying to get them to understand where the issue was.  It is so obvious it is a wifi issue and not a signal issue.  I got the same incorrect explanations.  Fortunately, I was able to fix my problem by having a different name for the 5g.  Prior to that, I had many, many months of poor, unreliable service that I paid for.  

Frequent Visitor

I got fed up and gave up. I took yesterday off and prepped my equipment to go back in place of the XB6-T wireless module. I followed Comcast's online instructions on putting the XB6-T in bridged mode and once again the modem/router decided to just not accept any changes from the local 10.0.0.1 page. No way to do this online either. I knew this was going to be an issue like everything else but hoped for a break. Oh well. I changed the ssid to disabled and added a terrible password in case the wifi turned itself back on. I then braced myself and rang the support number on speed dial.

So I called and after having to convince a robot they could not help me with yet another modem reset I got to a human. They were able to put it in bridged mode magically. I am 100% serious when I say I have not had one call to Comcast support be less then 30 minutes even for something simple like flipping a switch like this. They always want to know why I am doing whatever I am doing and my issue. They also offer a tech out not realizing I have an engineering ticket. They never read any of my tickets.

I turned on my old router and has been stable or over 24 hours now. I fixed it. Today the survey supervisor call back came in. It dawned on me the last supervisor call was literally just to follow up on my 0 score to Xfinity and the tech for disabling my wifi couple weeks ago. I literally have not gotten a supervisor call back from anyone on the wifi module constantly resetting on its own. I won't need one now that the wifi is much better with 4 year old equipment that gives me full speed over wireless ac (5ghz). After telling the survey supervisor everything I asked they make a note on my account to have anyone calling me read all these tickets so they know what the heck is going on and I don't have to repeat myself constantly.

I literally never expect to hear back from Comcast on this and I don't think any of you should either. If you are being forced to rent your modem/router for unlimited data this XB6-T is your only option for a non Intel puma modem. I highly suggest you buy your own wifi router that can handle your speeds and immediately put the router in bridged mode. You need to rely on someone else then Comcast's non-existent support.
Frequent Visitor

It would be nice if separating the wifi names was a fix, but did not work for me. I know with Asus routers it's common knowledge to not use any special characters (including spaces) in your password. I figured Comcast support would tell me something, anything, along those lines since I carried over all the old router settings. This is obviously not an Asus router.

Regardless they probably can't even figure out why yours was an issue in the past, let alone what fixed it post the ssid name separation. Quite frankly it's ludicrous the 'best answer' here is to use one wifi name when that makes it worse.

This literally could be from me having too long a password set, or from having an _ in the 5g ssid name (issue did persist when I combined to the 2.4ghz name only, so seems unlikely). These are things an Asus tech support person would be able to advise on. Xfinity/Comcast only knows how to reboot modems and that's about it. It's like no one has troubleshot these ever and the XB6-T is 10 months old now.

They literally have to package unlimited internet and free streaming devices to move these things. I am so relieved to be done with them. Sorry to everyone else who is still suffering working with them your best bet is buy your own router and make them out the XB6-T in bridged mode plain and simple. The router will pay for itself when you add up all the wasted time contacting Comcast support x minimum wage.
Regular Visitor

Sounds like you and I have gone through all of the same experiences trying to get something that should be so simple fixed.  Funny that 4 hours after I posted my last reply to this thread that I get an email from Xfinity saying they are improving my speed from 400 to 600 and other improvements.  What a joke.  I would be happy if I could get 100!!!

Just reaffirms my decision to look for another provider.  They don't care about resolving issues, only getting more customers with their false advertising of their capabilities.

Good luck man!

New Poster

Our problem with wifi dropping off several times a day is getting worse lately. Before a few months ago it would only drop occasionally but now it has gotten awful and there’s been no changes in devices; two laptops, two iphone 6s, an ipad, wifi printer, hardwired Sony TV and a Lorex Security cam system, all worked fine for two years until lately. Arris modem and TP-Link router.
Frequent Visitor

This thread is supposed to be specifically about the Xfinity provided broadcom chip modem/router XB6-T they are providing.

If your tplink is dropping wifi check their support and forums. If the wifi is up but the internet is down you would check with Arris. If your equipment is over two years old the easiest solution is to buy new equipment. Ideally you would isolate down the failure to the modem or router and replace that part only. Before replacement it's a great idea to check for new firmware from the manufacturer at least and uses wifi analyzer to make sure a neighbor did not out in a super powerful router using the same channel you are (if they are you would move to a less congested channel).

If you narrow it down to the modem, replace the modem, and issues persist directly connected to the modem it's much easier for the Comcast/Xfinity tech to troubleshoot by checking the line and not blaming your equipment.

Networking equipment is run 24/7 in all types of humidity and heat with no breaks. Everything man made fails.

*Edit to add
Wifi still running perfect without a single hiccup since my last post thankfully. The XB6-T seems good as just a modem thankfully. I do see random unnamed wifis showing up with different Macs then the XB6-T 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels I had it set to, but thankfully they have not caused a wifi issue for my Asus and devices. I am pretty positive these wifi signals are coming from the XB6-T because the Macs are very close to what the unit advertises. I will not be surprised to find out these are specifically for their xfi cellular service they are pushing with notes of hotspots everywhere. That's most likely the literal reason they are offering a $35 discount for unlimited by renting this modem for $15. I can't wait until they have to offer unlimited in my area so I can return this modem to them.
New Poster

I have same issue and after many wasted calls with Comcast personnel I have filed a compliant with agencies
Issue is this xFi unit.
Silver Problem Solver

@scanizares wrote:
I have same issue and after many wasted calls with Comcast personnel I have filed a compliant with agencies
Issue is this xFi unit.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Video-10-things-you-can-do-right-now-to-fix-your-int...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Ok for 2 days since I got a message that they were increasing my speed NO wi-fi device works. I have turned off devices and rebooted modem and done the troubleshooting device, rebooting modem. No TV, no laptop, no kindle and phone won’t connect so I’m using data. I have work computer directly connected to modem and I keep losing my work as it drops me throughout the day. How do I rename 5G network? I’m only seeing 1 network name, help!
Silver Problem Solver

@Janetu5 wrote:
Ok for 2 days since I got a message that they were increasing my speed NO wi-fi device works. I have turned off devices and rebooted modem and done the troubleshooting device, rebooting modem. No TV, no laptop, no kindle and phone won’t connect so I’m using data. I have work computer directly connected to modem and I keep losing my work as it drops me throughout the day. How do I rename 5G network? I’m only seeing 1 network name, help!

Did you try calling 1800comcast and ask for Internet?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

@Janetu5 wrote:

I got your message you sent to my personal PMs. I'll follow up with you there. 

Ken

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I agree there is something terribly wron with the new XFi modem/router from both a stability (wifi drops randomly)  and coverage issue

New Poster

Same here, problem seems to get worse with passage of time

Frequent Visitor

Same issues. I have xFi router and the WiFi pods. My WiFi is terrible. I’m constantly going into airplane mode and back to get WiFi on my phone to work. Plus, this is now the third iPhone that I’ve had and all of them have had the same issues. It’s definitely the router. The pods are a complete waste. Down one flight of stairs from the location of the router and it doesn’t even work there. Sitting in my room I observe my WiFi signal fluctuating even though I’m in direct line of sight to a pod. This is ridiculous.
New Poster

We are all having this issue, it would be nice to see what you're solution is!
Frequent Visitor

I moved my router to a more central location of my house and now I’m running a full 6 pods. So far so good, I’m having much more consistent results. There was definitely something funky going on before with pods that were further showing a better signal than ones that were closer, but ultimately I decided that getting the router to a location that was the most central to the pods was my best hope.