Community Forum

WiFi dropping

Frequent Visitor

Re: WiFi dropping

Just wanted to add that when the wifi drops, my phone still works and the desktop that has a hardware connection to the router has full internet access.  Obviously, this is a wifi issue.

Regular Visitor

I wish I knew. I still have issues and even took my problem to the corporate level. Had my modem switch out 5 times so far and they still don’t know what’s happening
Frequent Visitor

How did you escalate to the corporate level?  I have been trying to figure out how to do that.  Thanks.

Regular Visitor

866-642-4868. They’ve told me they’ve exhausted all their resources on figuring it out. So I’m still waiting for them to contact me back with a resolution. I’ve tolx them it’s not an isolated issues as many ppl on these forums are having similar issues and of course that fell on deaf ears.
Official Employee

Hi All, 

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your wiFi connectivity issues. I'd like to investigate your account on a case by case basis. We'll check out the signal levels and see what our next steps are. Please send me a private message with your full name for help. Just click my name and then on the next page, you'll see an option to send me a private message on the top right hand side.  

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I was able to get this to work by changing the network name so that the 5g name is different from the 2.5g even though when I went to change it I got a message that said not keeping the same name for both was not recommended.  I received a private reply from KenF "Band steering is supposed to optimize your network experience, but this is not the case for everyone! Glad you were able to figure this out. "

Regular Visitor

Ken, Martin, or Amir,

How can I send you a DM? I clicked on your name but there is no option in the upper right corner or anywhere else to send you a direct message. I'm having issues very similar to what's in this thread. I upgraded my modem to the XB6 plus got 3 Xfi pods to try and improve reception throughout my house. Instead, things are worse than before. I keep losing connections when going between rooms, and some streaming stations will stop, and my iPhones randomly don't have a connection until I switch to Airplane Mode and back, and my 2 Macbook Pros have the hardest time trying to connect!

New Poster

My WiFi keeps dropping as well
Silver Problem Solver

@GalanB wrote:

Ken, Martin, or Amir,

How can I send you a DM? I clicked on your name but there is no option in the upper right corner or anywhere else to send you a direct message. I'm having issues very similar to what's in this thread. I upgraded my modem to the XB6 plus got 3 Xfi pods to try and improve reception throughout my house. Instead, things are worse than before. I keep losing connections when going between rooms, and some streaming stations will stop, and my iPhones randomly don't have a connection until I switch to Airplane Mode and back, and my 2 Macbook Pros have the hardest time trying to connect!

The Send a Message link is difficult to see in some browsers; it is on the right side of this user's profile:Send a message-3.jpb.jpg

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

Thank you, Robert. Now it's there, plain as day! It must have had something to do with the time of day and their hours, or it was just broken then?

Regular Visitor

Same as mine, hardline worked although speeds were decreased, the WiFi was almost non exsistant. Several things were fixed from the lines but I still think something is wrong with WiFi. Even though they say nothing is wrong it’s horribly slow.
New Poster

Same issue here. Comcast installed a new router/modem worked fine for a couple of months now service drops off and on all day. Fed up with this. Might have to go to another provider.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I have the same exact issues I was on a lower grade of internet and modem and it was dropping so I stepped up thinking it would help but it got worse I have had 4 technicians at my house telling me everything was great on their end so why am I paying so much and I have NO WI FI on any of my devices and we like out in the country so our phones ONLY work on wifi here so when it's down our phones are down.
Frequent Visitor

As I stated in an earlier reply,  I was able to solve my problem by going to edit wifi and changing the network names for 5g and 2.5g to be different.  I had been having problems with wifi dropping for months and had 4 visits by comcast technicians.  You should try changing the network name if you haven't already done it.

Official Employee

GalanB, got your message. I've sent you a response. Check it out. 

As I stated in an earlier reply,  I was able to solve my problem by going to edit wifi and changing the network names for 5g and 2.5g to be different.  I had been having problems with wifi dropping for months and had 4 visits by comcast technicians.  You should try changing the network name if you haven't already done it.

I agree with user @laugustus , please try this out folks! If you'd like to learn more about band steering and get instructions on combining your WiFi bands check this out here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Internet/ANSWERED-How-to-optimize-your-Xfinity-WiFi/ta-p/3247924

We also have some helpful information about improving your Xfinity home WiFi found here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Internet/ANSWERED-How-to-improve-your-Xfinity-Wifi/ta-p/2940646

If your WiFi issues continue after following the directions outlined in the articles above, feel free to send me a private message with your account details for further assistance. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

So, turn off band steering. 

Regular Visitor

Our WiFi keeps dropping too! Devices drop and/or will not connect but the light stays on. Have checked connections, rebooted, removed devices...nothing fixes the problem! Paying way too much to have this constant dropping of service!! We have the “fastest residential internet”but that’s only for a few moments at a time. Ready to find a different provider!
Regular Visitor

I totally agree with you, I also am paying for the best internet service Comcast offers & I feel I’m not getting what I’m paying for.  I’ll also be looking elsewhere for internet service.  

Official Employee

Cindycary1, I'm happy to look into your service issues. Please send me a private message so I can investigate. 

Ken

New Poster

Is there an answer. Our WiFi drops for 5 minutes every 15 minutes. The tv won’t work. I am paying for something that only works 50% of the time
Official Employee

Hi t2raft, 

Welcome o the Xfinity Forums. Thank you for sharing your experience of the issues you've been running across. I'd like to help make this right. In a situation like this, it's best that we review each account individually, as the cause of your issue may not be the same as others who are having problems. I'd be more than happy to help isolate the cause of your internet issues. Please send me a private message by clicking on my name, "ComcastChe" then click send a message. In the body of this message please verify your first and last name. 

New Poster

Someone mentioned switching the channel in the router.  It is locked in "Automatic" mode which allows them to set the channel.  How do I go about getting control back on the router I rent?  Oh yeah WiFi dropping too. 

New Poster

My wifi drops every five to ten minutes on my phone and laptop. Why?
New Poster

I have resolved this issue on my xfi internet with an XB6 router. I believe that part of the issue is that on the XB6 by default the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks are named the same with the same password, and are joined in such a way that you can change the name and password of both at the same time in the router settings. I believe this is causing devices which are both 2.4 and 5ghz compatible to join both networks simultaneously and then jump between the two causing these lapses in connectivity. The way I resolved the issue on my router was to go into my router settings via the web portal on the xfinity site and went in to edit my Wi-Fi settings. Once in there there is a check box which is labeled "Name your networks different names with different password" or something along those lines. Click this box and name the 2.4 and 5ghz networks completely different names with completely different passwords. I then went into the advanced settings of the Wi-Fi and changed the broadcast channel on the 2.4ghz network from recommended to 11. Sense performing these steps I have not experienced any issues with either network experiencing any connectivity drops after 48 hours of continuous testing.

Regular Visitor

Comcast has blocked people from going to change network names and or passwords from the routers web page and you cannot no longer change channels either.  They control the channels now which is the stupidest thing they could of ever done.  You can only change your WiFi name and password from the xfinity apps.  With channel changing ..... that’s no more.  I don’t understand why they’ve blocked their customers from using the routers GUI page.  

Silver Problem Solver

@Cindycary1 wrote:

Comcast has blocked people from going to change network names and or passwords from the routers web page and you cannot no longer change channels either.  They control the channels now which is the stupidest thing they could of ever done.  You can only change your WiFi name and password from the xfinity apps.  With channel changing ..... that’s no more.  I don’t understand why they’ve blocked their customers from using the routers GUI page.  

Are you saying this doesn't allow you to change SSID/password?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/view-change-wifi-password

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

Xfinity Ken from this forum had Xfinity run some diagnostics from their end.  They agreed there were issues.  Had a tech come yesterday.  He replaced connectors at the street.  Tech told me the connectors retain moisture, corrode and over time, need to be replaced.  Knock on wood, everything seems to be working great after the connector replacement yesterday.

Frequent Visitor

Not sure why this is the best answer. The article cited states to combine wifi names while people are reporting using separate names is the solution for them.

I just got this XB6-T modem/router device setup 5 days ago. My family is complaining the wifi goes out randomly and comes back on. I have used uncongested channels 11 and 36 set to manual as my old equipment was using without issue. 2.4 and 5.0 are different names. The issue still happens. It just happened this morning and I ran down to check the device (white blue on light, no wifi still). I checked the routers page and it all seemed fine, wifi started working again as well. I went to Gateway>Hardware>Wireless> and system uptime for both 2.4 and 5.0 show a few minutes. I check the devices system logs under troubleshooting and NO NOTE OF A WIFI REBOOT.

I will reply if I ever get a solution to this besides setting this piece of junk to modem only mode and putting my old router in place.

Regular Visitor

I don't know if this would help/apply to what you're describing...but the tech told me yesterday if you go with Xfinity pods, name them all the same so when you're moving around the house your device doesn't drop from one to another.  He said when they're all the same name/password, your device will stay connected. 

Regular Visitor

You cannot change it from the router web page 10.0.0.1.  Only can make name & password changes from the xfinity app 

Frequent Visitor

No pods, just this XB6-T. I have had to contact comcast every day I had this XB6-T. Sometimes more then one time a day. Each person cannot tell me what is wrong, but says they fixed it. They are just reprovisioning my connection via the reset I could perform if I went through the troubleshooter, or you know, power cycled.

2 days ago the tech told me the system is telling them to send someone out for an issue with my line. I told them multiple times the LAN does not go out when the wifi us completely unavailable and the uptime for the wifi eventually resets. Tell them I want unlimited data and to go back to my old equipment. Refused. I told them to set it up for a weekend when I am available. I am thinking I need to go back to AT&T at this point and tell the tech. They stop setting up the tech to come out and state a manager will call me back the next day. I ask them when the tech is coming out and the manager call sounds good. They flat out refused to do both, would only schedule a tech if I declined a manager or or get me a manager call back if I declined them scheduling the tech. Asked again they do both, said they can't do that and state the manager will get someone quicker. I ask them to check when the tech would be available because if it's this weekend why bother making myself available during my busy workday. Nope, flat out refused unless I said no manager call back on the spot there. So my options are to gamble by declining the manager call and seeing the dates the tech can come out, or going for a manager call back. Well I don't want to gamble, be dissapointed, then start over on the phone another hour to get someone to get me a manager call back. I go for the manager call back.

Manager never called me yesterday. I text chat with support on my commute home fuming about the no manager call. They say they see the issue and have updated a bad boot file to fix. I say i will check and get back to them and we can cancle the manager call. Someone finally tole me whats wrong..... Except I come how to find the internet has been down for half an hour. lan works fine, and I am seeing a big red X on wifi now. Call and get someone pretty quick. I am fuming at this point and again get my request to go back to my old equipment denied if I want to keep unlimited data, but they will help me go back with the 1tb cap and thats it. I ask them to fix the issue. After a bit I ask them if they can tell why my modem is in bridged mode when I am pretty sure bidged mode was disabled. They say they cant tell., but they will fix the wifif. System goes down for 3 seconds, and I am able to log back in. Now my modem is out of bridged mode  and wifi works. So now I ask why someone broke my wireless and did not see it was down. I finally get a manager who is available.

The supervisor was very helpful and understanding unlike everyone else. She promised not to waste anymore of my time and get the issue up the chain to engineering. She agrees with me sending a tech out is a waste of time for a wifi only issue. I will get a call tomorrow from her with an update. I am just dealing with randome complete wifi dropouts for 30 seconds. I was told this morning it happened while I was at work (still am, I am just finally getting a slight break) and it was out for about 4 minutes and came back by itself.

I have tried channels 1, 6, 11, and inbetween with no change. Same on the 5g side even though no one near me really has 5g. My 2.4ghz and 5ghz are seperated by name, and I determine what is best for the devices not letting them randomly choose 2.4 or 5g. None of this works, and unless I report back that a modem swap fixes this I think these devices are terribly flawed.

I am going to make a complaint with the FCC soon. It's completely false when they tell people they have to upgrade to faster speeds for unlimited data + rent their modem because their personal equipment is no good. I only went from 150 to 250 and my modem can easily handle 600+ down. My 3+ year old router is definetely better then this xb6-t when I am comparing my signal strength reported by all the devices. I was totally going to let these lies slide, but to make me call and troubleshoot an hour+ a day while charging me for the privelege to use their modem is insane.

Last thing the troubleshooting logs on this XB6-T just flat out stopped logging anything. I told many tech that after the 5th day or so when I started not being able to see the logs. If this turns out to be a bad modem I cannot understand for the life of me why it is not being identified quicker. I don't even think this XB6-T is very new, they should be able to troubleshoot it efficiently after being in the wild for 6+ months.

New Poster

I have the same issues we have Arris TG1682G xfinity gateway telephone modem and wifi all in one.
It is awful!! I work from home and it goes offline several times a day.
Funny thing is I don’t have VOIP, and the internet light is solid
We have tried wifi expanders too, nothing
Did anyone find a solution, Comcast support is the worst like everyone said they send a reset and that is all they know how to do it, I always exchange the unit twice this will be my 3rd time
Someone told me I can “disconnect the WiFi” get a separate router and just has the modem part is that true? If so can anyone point me to the article that explain the setup?

Thank you
New Poster

Open a complain on BBB and they will escalate to corporate. We all should do that to see if they do something about this awful device they put on the market for high prices that does not work
Official Employee Digital Care

Hi everyone. We would like to look into the intermittent WiFi issues that you're describing. Please allow us the opportunity. Feel free to send us a private message with your name and we will continue from there.

To send a private message, please click my name "Comcast  Support" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

Thank you.

Frequent Visitor

Sent a message yesterday to Comcast support as requested above. No response from them or the original supervisor who promised to call me back Saturday and never did. Unsure what's going on but I feel no one has looked at this from a higher level yet and no one wants to tell me that.

I changed my network name to a single name and issue got much worse at 3x times in about 2 hours. I switched back to separate band names and at least it did not go out 1.5 times an hour. My troubleshooting diagnostic logs started working again, not sure why.
Frequent Visitor

This is getting out of hand. i was informed the 5g wifi has not shown up all day today, it was showing yesterday. The xfinity online interface shows what I set, but my XB6-T now shows only one wifi name for 2.4 and 5ghz. Seems changing it online does not guarentee the change to stick locally like the change was made over 10.0.0.1 

New Poster

I received one of the new style modems and my wifi has not dropped in 2 days.  It's been a limited 2 days but still.  

The model of the modem is tg3482g.  Vendor is ARRIS Group.

I hope it continues to work.

New Poster

This is what I Did..

I went to best buy...
Bought a Motorola Modem and Router.. ac1600 approx 179 dollars.

Connected and activated new modem/router

Currently watching a movie.
No interruptions so far.

And will return the modem that Xfinity gave me. Internet is fast.

Hope all works well
Frequent Visitor

I would go back to my old modem and router if it was not for the unlimited. In my area you have to pay $50 a month to remove the 1tb data cap or rent their modem/router for $15. They won't even compromise and take $10 extra to remove the cap and spare the expense of troubleshooting all this. It's insane.

I should just disable the wifi completely and connect my old router but now I feel like I am in too deep having spent so much time already. My call yesterday ended up with a bill credit. I was immediately tossed at l2 support and they were unable to resolve the xfi site showing two wifi names while locally it was combined. They started to ask me to reset to factory when I just changed the xfi setting for 5g to drop the last character, save, and my modem/router took it. I then just changed it back to what the 5g name was supposed to be and that resolved it.

Hopefully I last out long enough to help everyone with this newer equipment get a stable experience. On the bright side today it only went out for 3-4 minutes (that was noticed) and did not combine my network again.
Contributor

@IT-Guy585 wrote:

Click this box and name the 2.4 and 5ghz networks completely different names with completely different passwords. I then went into the advanced settings of the Wi-Fi and changed the broadcast channel on the 2.4ghz network from recommended to 11. Sense performing these steps I have not experienced any issues with either network experiencing any connectivity drops after 48 hours of continuous testing.

I would like to try this, @IT-Guy585, since switching to the "upgraded" xFi gateway I have had <Edited> poor cell phone wifi connectivity. (The previous one was great; should've just left things alone.) Anyway, the one thing I don't know is how to figure out which channel (2.4ghz or 5ghz) to tell the cell phone (and my Windows 7 based ASUS laptop) to use...?

Silver Problem Solver

@LazerFlash wrote:

@IT-Guy585 wrote:

Click this box and name the 2.4 and 5ghz networks completely different names with completely different passwords. I then went into the advanced settings of the Wi-Fi and changed the broadcast channel on the 2.4ghz network from recommended to 11. Sense performing these steps I have not experienced any issues with either network experiencing any connectivity drops after 48 hours of continuous testing.

I would like to try this, @IT-Guy585, since switching to the "upgraded" xFi gateway I have had p!ss-poor cell phone wifi connectivity. (The previous one was great; should've just left things alone.) Anyway, the one thing I don't know is how to figure out which channel (2.4ghz or 5ghz) to tell the cell phone (and my Windows 7 based ASUS laptop) to use...?

Some of us have one SSID for both bands, which works fine for me.  You can split them if you don't have Pods.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/view-change-wifi-password

Official Employee Digital Care

Hi, ForcedtoRent. How have things been going since you last posted?