Community Forum

WiFi dropping

New Poster

WiFi dropping

What would cause my WiFi x1 to keep dropping it’s continuous all day long. 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: WiFi dropping

@Jlittlefawn11 wrote:

What would cause my WiFi x1 to keep dropping it’s continuous all day long. 

Maybe you are out of range or there is some structure blocking it like walls.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

I don't like the new wifi Xfi internet. it keeps dropping and my kids are upset. im going to downgrade because it not worth having the new one. i want my old one back
Regular Visitor

I have the same problem. Ever since I switched to 1G service, and the new gateway.

Comcast tech support, new gateway, tech to home...still same problem. I sit 8 feet from the gateway, no other devices connected. When it drops, the light stays white on the gateway!!! 

I go to other WiFi devices and they say “lost connection”......I even have hubs throughout the house so it has nothing to do with signal strength at all. 

I am am about to go buy the best router in the market, plug it directly to the Ethernet cable, disconnect Comcast gateway and see what happens. Why do I think that will resolve the problem? Hmmm.  

All wifi devices effected...iPad Pro 2, iPhone XS, laptop, Directv, Leviton smart switches. 

MK

Regular Visitor

AND.........Comcast technical support says....”problem outside of your home”..

they ping and they always say “can’t get through at this time” .....

now my speed is creeping down......

slower and and slower and slower...

New Poster

Yes, that’s my problem too

Highlighted
New Poster

Same here--and Ive had them out five times, spent endless hours on the phone--awful.  I have talked to executive care--and nothing.  It happens to all my IOS devices !!!  They tell me the same thing nothing wrong inside--AARGH

@Jlittlefawn11 wrote:

Yes, that’s my problem too

Frequent Visitor

@goldnpaw wrote:

I have the same problem. Ever since I switched to 1G service, and the new gateway.

Comcast tech support, new gateway, tech to home...still same problem. I sit 8 feet from the gateway, no other devices connected. When it drops, the light stays white on the gateway!!! 

I go to other WiFi devices and they say “lost connection”......I even have hubs throughout the house so it has nothing to do with signal strength at all. 

I am am about to go buy the best router in the market, plug it directly to the Ethernet cable, disconnect Comcast gateway and see what happens. Why do I think that will resolve the problem? Hmmm.  

All wifi devices effected...iPad Pro 2, iPhone XS, laptop, Directv, Leviton smart switches. 

MK

Did buying a new modem help? I just ordered one.

New Poster

Similar problems here as of yesterday. Have you been able to get any updates for answers? I find it terribly frustrating having to talk to an automated device and if finally able to get a real person, understanding them. They all try hard but no real answers.
New Poster

It's horrible, I even went to exchange it thinking it was the unit and the Customer service person said his drops all the time. Good luck

@cake_decorator1 wrote:
I don't like the new wifi Xfi internet. it keeps dropping and my kids are upset. im going to downgrade because it not worth having the new one. i want my old one back

Official Employee

Hi there, Lthom1. I can see if I can help! I work for the corporate office. 

Can you please private message me your full name? Thank you for posting to our forums. 

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMartin" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I upgraded to xFi and it has been nothing but awful. My internet drops every few minutes. I’ve called and spent hours and hours for the employees to do the same thing and still it’s not working. I’ve had a guy from Comcast come out and still same problem. My old router never gave me issues. I’m getting pretty annoyed to pay $100 a month for my internet to drop every dang min. My cell phone won’t even work properly unless I disconnect the WiFi on my phone. Pretty ticked at this point. My service has gone out 3 times since writing this post!!!
Official Employee

Hi, Tlamb1180. I can help fix the issue for you. 

Can you please private message me your full name? Thank you for posting to our forums. 

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMartin" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I have been having this exact issues! I just called I Xfinity yesterday and they are sending me a new modem- but I really don’t think that is the issue. They told me to call back when it was actually not working, but as I told them, it is impossible to know how long it will go out. Sometimes it’s a few seconds, sometimes up to 3 minutes. Our devices still say they are connected sometimes- but they won’t actually connect. It is frustrating. I only switched from Windstream months ago because of speed. I’m so much happier with Xfinity when it is working, but have to consider going back with one of their returning customer offers. Is there any way to resolve this??
New Poster

My ARRIS Group, Inc. TG1682G wireless modem/router started dropping internet connectivity with all my connected devices about a month ago, after working flawlessly for 6+ months. Comcast came out and replaced the device but the problem continues. I'm about to give up on Comcast.

Silver Problem Solver

@mrobinson1 wrote:

My ARRIS Group, Inc. TG1682G wireless modem/router started dropping internet connectivity with all my connected devices about a month ago, after working flawlessly for 6+ months. Comcast came out and replaced the device but the problem continues. I'm about to give up on Comcast.

Any chance you can replace your XB3 with the XB6?  This forum is for the xFi app;  there is a Your Home Network forum for wifi issues.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

@RobertWy wrote:

@mrobinson1 wrote:

Any chance you can replace your XB3 with the XB6?  This forum is for the xFi app;  there is a Your Home Network forum for wifi issues.

I just Googled  “Comcast WiFi dropping” or something and it it brought me here. I’m not sure how we’re supposed to know this is a forum for a specific app.

New Poster

Mine is dropping all the time as well. It is a new xfi modem/router just got it from them last week.

If this keeps up Ill just downgrade the modem to their older one?
Frequent Visitor

I remember the woman saying they don’t even support/use the one I had anymore. Plus, I got rid of the modem/router & bought a Netgear Nighthawk modem (compatible with service), and it’s still happening.

Silver Problem Solver

There are third-party wifi solutions that will work with the XB6.  You have to put the XB6 in Bridge Mode to install them.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/wifi-system/view

New Poster

Mine is dropping to
New Poster

I have this problem as well.  It drops for just a few seconds...long enough to interrupt whatever I may be doing 

New Poster

We are having the same issue. I thought it was WiFi but even if we are plugged into the modem the internet isn't working. Has anybody found a solution?

Frequent Visitor

I just did a rough (but pretty accurate) estimate of our cell data usage over the past few months - to get an estimate of how much data we're eating up at home, due to no WiFi coverage.  Before "upgrading" service we were using about 54,000 KB/day; after we were using about 142,000.  While I only have about 5 days' data since dumping the new Comcast modem for a Netgear Nighthawk, we're down to about  40,000 KB/day.  But take my issues with a grain of salt. Before upgrading I had a Comcast modem & seperate router. The upgrade gave me a modem/router, but I kept my other router hooked up because it had satellites (WiFi extenders); this could have been causing my problems - maybe the routers were fighting with each other. I don't understand WiFi connections well enough to know for sure.

New Poster

Change to channel 11
New Poster

We switched ours a few weeks ago and have had non stop problems!!! As of right now, in the last 20 minutes the connection has dropped 3 times. I’m currently typing this using cell Data because WiFi is still down. This is ridiculous.
New Poster

I've had the same problem for 6 months and keep getting the run around.  I've had teams out here 4 times, got a new modem, had a new cable laid, and even wrote to the president.  Sorry but it's time for a class action suit.  This is horrible service and a horrible product, I tired of spending a large sums of money and tons of time with executive care and technicians to juswt have the same thing keep happening.  Sorry this is truly unacceptable. Quit spending so much on advertising your"great" product and just make mine work!

Frequent Visitor

Can you explain what you mean & how to do this?

@DanA2256 wrote:
Change setting to Channel 11

New Poster

I've been having same issues. I'm beginning to think that it has to do with the use of common network name for the 2.4ghz and 5ghz streams. I don't think the Xfinity router can effectively pick/manage the best connection and seamlessly do the hand-off from the 2 streams. I've noticed that when I lose the connection, the signal strength (even though my device is stationary) goes up and down.  Once it settles on a stream, connection re-establishes itself and starts working. I did an experiment this morning by conncting an Apple Airport router to the Xfinity router. For the Apple Airport, I only broadcast in 2.4ghz.  I have not had a single droppped connection from the Airport, but other devices connected to the Xfinity router that is doing simultaneous 2.4/5 transmission continues to have drops. 

New Poster

Did getting a high end router work! I have xfinity modem with 3 xFi pods all within 400 sq ft. I have great speed and I drop WiFi calls all the time! I do not get AT&T service so I depend on WiFi calling!

I was told by AT&T to set up port 500 and port 4500 with protocol UDP
So I was able to do so with the XFI app

My wife’s phone is on port 500 and mind is port 4500.

Remember when you reset network settings that changes the name of the phone back to manufacture setting! You have to rename your phone back to the name you assigned to the port!

Example. My phone is iphoneglen and that’s sssigned to port 4500
If I reset network setting, then the name changes to iPhone !

New Poster

Change channel settings from automatic (recommended) to channel 11
New Poster

I have experienced the same thing for last 6 months with it getting worse in the last month. Were you able to find resolution?
New Poster

No, no solutions. I'm guess they're doing it on purpose because I'm using Google TV instead of comcast cable tv.  When I call them to try to resolve it, they keep trying to sell me Comcast's streaming tv instead. Pitiful.

Official Employee

No, no solutions. I'm guess they're doing it on purpose because I'm using Google TV instead of comcast cable tv.  When I call them to try to resolve it, they keep trying to sell me Comcast's streaming tv instead. Pitiful.

mrobinson1, thanks for posting. Are you only seeing drops while watching Google TV? Or do the drops occur when you use the internet at all? 

Ken

New Poster

My WIFI constantly drops too since switching to the new modem.  Has it worked better getting your own modem?  I have considered switching to WOW - I work from home so this is ridiculous.

Frequent Visitor

YES. I got a Nighthawk and use it with the Orbi router I already had. I’ve barely had any cut-out since.

New Poster

My Wi-Fi keeps dropping as well with this xFi
New Poster

I notice the internet only drops between 9am and 3pm. Absolutely no satisfaction from the poor agents in India or Pakistan or wherever they are. Strange that it is only in that time FRAM. Anyone else see that?
Official Employee

Hello, all sorry for the issues you're having with your internet. If you're using WiFi, are there any devices that you can connect to the modem to see if the connection continues to drop? Have you tried Troubleshooting your internet connection to isolate a cause on your end? 

Frequent Visitor

I have a lot of wired devices, and they worked fine. What fixed the problem for me was getting rid of the Xfi modem and buying my own.

New Poster

We've also had terrible issues since Comcast "upgraded" our modem to XFi.  We've had 3 service calls and replaced the XFi and we're still having issues. My work computer is hardwired to the modem, and it is constantly dropping the internet, so it's not just a wifi issue for me. Prior to the installation of the "upgraded" modem, we never, ever had such massive internet issues.  Trying to video conference, or stream Netflix or music is a complete joke.  We may have to buy our own modem and see how that goes.  I wish we had never upgraded!

New Poster

My wifi drops and hard wired ethernet ports drop as well, now happens at least 3 times a day,
Called when it was down and guy agreed he could not connect to our modem, and that was the end of that call.....
Official Employee

Hello @wturner733 and Cturner1621, thank you for posting. It sounds like you may need a tech out but to be sure I'd like to look into your signals and equipment health to help pinpoint what's causing the issue. For further assistance can you please send me a private message with your full name by clicking on my name (ComcastAmir) and then click "Send a message"?

New Poster

I have same problem, wifi keep going off all day then back on,I'm about to go back to AT&T ,never had a problem with them
New Poster

I’ve had numberous issues with Comcast / Xfinity.  I’ve had countless technicians to trouble shoot and calling in to customer service is horrible.  I’ve wasted so much time on getting my internet to work and get whatI’m paying for. All I hear is it’s your modem, I get it switched out, and still same issues.  Connection, dropping and slow WiFi.  I pay for 1 gig speed and I’m ready to move to another internet provider.  I’ve contacted corporate last year and they finally got it fixed.  Now again the past week I’ve been dropping WiFi, not getting close to 1 gig speed with my hard wire.  Tech was out and changed the drop wire and he was stumped.  He got a manager involved and I still don’t have an answer or the speed I’m paying for.  Manager was supposed to check with network dept but I have no answers.  I called again and tomorrow, I have another tech coming out.  Another waste of my time but they sure accept my payments every month  that I waste on this insufficient service.  Xfinity advertises best internet speeds.  That is such false advertisement !!!!!! Im really disgusted.  I even bought an orbi mesh system with the 1 gig and still HORRIBLE. 

Regular Visitor

Yup. Mine has been stable for awhile...until the last week...now it’s bad again. Slow, dropped connections,  really bad......I don’t think there is a fix for this, unless we get an all fiber optic network. Had that with Verizon when I lived in Philly back in 2001...man that was speed....never slow, never drop, perfect every time. So until Comcast starts dropping fiber, this isn’t gonna get better....ever. Whomever brings fiber her to my neighborhood first wins......or, if 5g is as good as they say, adios cabled internet. 

New Poster

Well I made another appt with xfinity for today AGAIN.   Supervisor never called me back from first appt just leaves my in limbo.  He was supposed to contact their network control center to see if there were issues in the area & never called me back.  So with my appt today a supervisor was supposed to come with the tech.   When the tech came, no supervisors   So again, the new router I got on Wednesday was swapped out and I still am not getting the 1 gig speed I’m psyimg for.  My WiFi is still dropping saying no internet connection.  This is horrible !!!!! I guess I’ll have to keep wasting my time with calling & hopefully getting a refund on this horrible service.  When I spoke to customer service last night he told me there issues in my area but what’s baffling to me is how doesn’t the tech get that info instead of wasting both of our time ???  I’ll attempt to email corporate again and hopefully will get someone to solve is mess once and for all !!!!

New Poster

My wifi router keeps dropping all my attached devices all day long, both wireless and wired. Before this started months ago, this problem never occured. Nothing changed on my end. When it first happened they replaced my wireless modem/router. Nothing changed. Comcast just doesn't care. 

Regular Visitor

We are having the same issues we even upgraded our package we live ine country and depend on wifi calling without it we are out of luck and i cant call comcast to let them know when its out until i get service back
Frequent Visitor

I am having the same issue.  I have had 3 visits from Comcast and the issue still exists.  I need to restart the gateway multiple times a day.  Why doesn't Comcast have a solution to this?